Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New 2016 Yamaha VX Deluxe questions

Just took delivery of a 2016 Yamaha VX Deluxe. Only prior PWC experience is with my 2013 Seadoo Sparks. Hoping to get some advice on the following:

1) The bow/nose of the Yamaha is much lower than the Spark. When cruising the Yamaha at low speed in even very mild chop it seems the waves come over a good part of the bow and cause a lot of splash to the face. The much smaller spark appears to ride much higher in the water, particularly at the bow where the waves don't crest over it. Is this normal (for the Yamaha)? Would have thought that the much larger/heavier more deluxe Yamaha would give a drier ride than the tiny Spark. Would appreciate anyone's experience on this.

2) The Yamaha seems to require much more RPM per given MPH versus the Spark. Wondering if these stats are normal (these figures are "on plane") 3000 RPM = 5 MPH 4000 RPM = 10 MPH 5000 RPM = 20 MPH 6000 RPM = 30 MPH. Compared to my Spark, it seems like its taking a lot of RPM to get to not so much MPH

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocaboat View Post
    Just took delivery of a 2016 Yamaha VX Deluxe. Only prior PWC experience is with my 2013 Seadoo Sparks. Hoping to get some advice on the following:

1) The bow/nose of the Yamaha is much lower than the Spark. When cruising the Yamaha at low speed in even very mild chop it seems the waves come over a good part of the bow and cause a lot of splash to the face. The much smaller spark appears to ride much higher in the water, particularly at the bow where the waves don't crest over it. Is this normal (for the Yamaha)? Would have thought that the much larger/heavier more deluxe Yamaha would give a drier ride than the tiny Spark. Would appreciate anyone's experience on this.

2) The Yamaha seems to require much more RPM per given MPH versus the Spark. Wondering if these stats are normal (these figures are "on plane") 3000 RPM = 5 MPH 4000 RPM = 10 MPH 5000 RPM = 20 MPH 6000 RPM = 30 MPH. Compared to my Spark, it seems like its taking a lot of RPM to get to not so much MPH

yes...it's a wet ride. Water will come over the bow. Machine should hit 53 mph or so. Don't know the rpms

+1
    Hello, yes the Yamaha tends to take water over bow when going slow. have found that if you adjust your trim to your style of riding ... sit back or stand back just a little the bow says up & cuts through the water just fine. I am not sure I follow your RPMs info, are you saying that @ 5000 rpm you are only going 20 mph ? or @ 6000 RPMs you are only going 30 MPH ? That does not seem right to me. Yes the Yamaha engine will tend to run @ high RPMs but speed is comparable. May be some VX owners will chime in. Steve Lee

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by OzarkYamMonster View Post
    Hello, yes the Yamaha tends to take water over bow when going slow. have found that if you adjust your trim to your style of riding ... sit back or stand back just a little the bow says up & cuts through the water just fine. I am not sure I follow your RPMs info, are you saying that @ 5000 rpm you are only going 20 mph ? or @ 6000 RPMs you are only going 30 MPH ? That does not seem right to me. Yes the Yamaha engine will tend to run @ high RPMs but speed is comparable. May be some VX owners will chime in. Steve Lee
    I have two VX machines. They don't have trim. And yes, you will get water over the bow at no wake speeds. Not a lot, but it will happen.

I am also not following the speed vs rpm question. Have not ridden since the summer so I don't recall the values. My HO runs 62 at 7400.

+1
    Have a 2012 VX Deluxe. It does sit flat in the water when moving slow and will seem nose heavy to what you had but it's overall heavier. Slow no wake or slow speeds, you'll get water over the nose if there is any chop or waves. You said "on plane". At 5-10mph, the ski really isn't on plane. Neither is my VXR. You're pushing a lot of water at those speeds which takes more power and rpm. Your rpm vs speed is about right but it's been about six months since I was out. You'll see that 6,000 to 8,000rpm will give you that extra 23 or so mph on top of the 30mph. If I remember right, around 35mph is your best miles per gallon cruise. So I think your numbers are correct and yes, you'll get some water at slower speeds.

+1
    Full tank of gas the Yamis seem to get water over the nose in even mild chop. These things have big fuel tanks! 70 litres! Plus with any sort of cargo in the storage compartment it will get worse. However when moving quicker you'll be fine.

If I am reading this correctly, to do any kind of cruise (30mph on up to 53mph) on a VX 1.0 will require pulling 6000 rpm's on up. Is that correct?

+1
    Well...if you hammer the throttle it's doesn't matter how fast you are going to go higher

as to cruising....I am not sure

Which of your wave runners accelerates better, your vx limited in full speed mode or your vx ho in slow mode?
    Last edited by YamahaWannabe; 05-14-2017 at 08:04 AM.

+1
    VX has not been in the water yet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information