Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry 2001 Polaris Virage TXi stop dead after 40 minutes

We are near the ponit of giving up and using the jet ski for target practices.

Hope to get some help and advice in what we missed.

2001 Polaris Virage TXi with all electrical wiring including terminal box, EMM and matching fuel injectors plus fuel pump completely replaced and we are back to the same old problem, it runs perfect for 40 minutes, absoletely flawless then it stop dead in the water! No power at all, have to be towed back to shore.

What did we missed?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    What do you mean by 'no power at all'?
    No electrical power, or no engine power but engine will idle?

Does the dash display become blank?
    Does the Bilge button run the bilge pump?
    Does the Start button crank the engine?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I have one of these coming in to the shop in a few weeks, but it sure sounds like one of the parts you didn't swap out.

I'll be dropping my customers ski in the water tank and run it till it stops, then go from there to diagnose a no-start

the only thought right now is a heat related stator issue, I'd look at that first, if the voltage is low to start with, I might guess it will get worse as it warms up.

pull out the CPS on the stator cover and check it for bits of magnet, Make sure water comes out of the emm cooling hoses, a restriction could overheat the emm..same problem. I run a separate pisser line for the emm so the flow of water can be easily confirmed by my customers

then answer 447's questions and you can go from there

Charleston, South Carolina, United States
    +1

+1
    I wouldn't consider a CPS fault ( outside of it being covered with bits from the flywheel magnets )unless I was getting a check engine light.

It is a quick clean fix however, and most notably a failure on Kawasaki versions.

trust me If I was in the middle of a lake and this happened. I'd be sure wigglin that cps wire like my life depended on it.

Interesting symptoms however I'm most certainly be looking at that once the ski faults out. Patiently waiting for the Candoo guys to get the Polaris Ficht stuff ready

6. +1 by:

Thanks guys for the suggestion so far. 477 I need to take it out again (if we get it to start again) to answer your questions. I asked the mechanic the same as he took it out on the test and end up in the middle of the ocean (not lake, we are off the West Africa coast!). At the time I think he is more worry about ending up in Barzil than reading what's on the dash. I need to go out again this weekend, with a boat in tow just in case. But my understanding is the engine just shut down completely, only the middle red light is on!

So far, we have replaced the entire electrical system that I bought off a "good" ski stripped down for parts in the US. I think the guy even run the bike before he took the wiring off as the injectors still smell of gasoline.

One thing we have not replaced is the old battery. It does drain fast and will not recharge properly so we need to recharge it every time before we test start the ski again. Will the battery failed to recharge during normal use causes it to drain further which eventually result in the computer shutting everything down? Usually it is not a problem on outboards or even cars, after the engine is started everythign runs, but I do read all the electronics on the jet ski seems to be very sensitive to correct amount of current/voltage.

Will bring a new battery tomorrow to go for another test and reprot back.

Phil

+1
    if the battery is not charging the emm has to be repaired. The system requires a properly working battery, you cannot run it in total loss mode

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    All Polaris watercraft require a really good battery. Never go to sea without a reliable battery installed.

Put a voltmeter on the battery and start the engine on land (no water cooling needed for under 30 seconds run time). Make sure the battery voltage promptly rises to at least 13.0 volts, and really should be around 14.x volts with engine running.

With engine running if the battery voltage is not OVER 13.0 volts then the charging system is not working.

Battery charging on all Ficht engines is controlled by the EMM and powered by several of the stator magneto coils and flywheel magnets.

10. +1 by:

thanks guys, off to pick up a new battery, will see what happens tomorrow.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    What do you mean by 'no power at all'?
    No electrical power, or no engine power but engine will idle?

Does the dash display become blank?
    Does the Bilge button run the bilge pump?
    Does the Start button crank the engine?
    Out for second run this afternoon, mechanic bought new battery but not installed as he said he can start the ski right the way. Same thing happened good for 40 minutes then engine stopped (I felt so bad for the poor guy has to swim back again with the ski in tow!)

Here are the answers for K447:

Dash display still ok, showed "check engine" power cut out;
    Bilge button still runs bilge pump;
    Engine Start button still cranks engine;

So seems like electrical still ok. Fuel pump cut off (ie: no fuel) - is this a safety feature if engine runs warm/hot emm will automatically cut off fuel pump? The next day we can restart the ski with no problem so seems like a high temperature shut down problem.

Mechanic said starter seems to be running hot. We try to take the CPS sensor out but not sure how to get it off.

Next will try power flush the cooling system to see if its bloakc by sand which we have lots along the coast.

K447 I search through your articles but cannot find the cooling system diagram. Can you point me to the right link!

Also like to know how I can run a separate pisser line for the emm to check flow of water through the unit.

Thanks

Phil

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information