Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

1997 GP1200 Electrical Drain

I got my '97 GP1200 about 8-9 yrs ago from my brother who bought it brand new. It runs perfectly but it's had this nasty battery drain issue for most of the time that I've owned it. I always have to disconnect the battery or the ski will kill the battery within 2-3 days.

I'm at the point where I'd like to fix it once and for all. Do these skis have a particular thing that goes wrong and causes the battery drain? When I go to connect the negative battery cable to start the ski, some small sparks fly so I know the drain is kinda big. I've never tried to chase it down because it's always been low on my priority list but it sure would make life a little easier if I could just fix the battery drain.

I know that the gauges cluster is known for having a battery draw could start there

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lsx5.3 View Post
    I know that the gauges cluster is known for having a battery draw could start there
    Do you have any other information on this?

I'm guessing that I could disconnect the gauge and then connect the battery. If there are no sparks then maybe that's the problem. On the other hand, I sure hope that I don't need to replace the gauge.

Put a Muti meter in line with the negative side of the battery and set the meter to min/max for milli volts, wait about 10 minutes for everything to power down a check to see if the meter is still shows a draw on the system if so start disconnecting things and see what brings it to zero. But I've read a few things on the gauges causing dead battery's

+1
    Put a Muti meter in line with the negative side of the battery and set the meter to min/max for milli volts, wait about 10 minutes for everything to power down a check to see if the meter is still shows a draw on the system if so start disconnecting things and see what brings it to zero. But I've read a few things on the gauges causing dead battery's
    Thanks, lsx for the details of waiting 10 minutes. I wouldn't have thought about that. I should have some time next week to try this. I'd love to cure the battery drain and not have to disconnect the battery every time I'm done riding the ski.

On mine I just leave a solar power battery maintainer I run the cable under my cover and I never at a problem with it

+1
    On mine I just leave a solar power battery maintainer I run the cable under my cover and I never at a problem with it
    A year or so ago I bought 3 solar battery maintainers. My plan was to permanently mount and wire them on my boat dock. I never got around to the permanent mounting but I did use them a good bit last summer.

I was really excited by them at first but I'm just not so sure of them any more. It seems like when I've left them hooked up to pwc batteries, the batteries (AGM) were never really very strong when I went to use them. More often than not, they really wouldn't start my skis and I'd have to throw the real battery charger onto the batteries. These solar maintainers just gather dust now.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    unplug the voltage regulator. one of the diodes is "leaky" Common problem on all skis

just expensive enough to hurt, but the old one can work as an emergency spare albeit with the issue of draining the battery

by the way, if you have a draw on your truck, put a hand on the alternator in the morning, if its pretty warm..that's your draw.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    unplug the voltage regulator. one of the diodes is "leaky" Common problem on all skis

just expensive enough to hurt, but the old one can work as an emergency spare albeit with the issue of draining the battery

by the way, if you have a draw on your truck, put a hand on the alternator in the morning, if its pretty warm..that's your draw.
    This sounds like some good, specific information! Thank you, nmpeter!

Is the voltage regulator inside the waterproof box?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    if my feeble memory serves me correctly, the regulator is inside the electric box..sorry bout that

let me check real quick....

yeah, should be in the electric box, be careful in there. I suggest you take a shitload of pictures before you delve in there.

power screwdriver and a number 2 bit helps alot too ( if phillips head screws) there's just alot of em

connect a test light inline with your battery, if it's softly glowing, you're drawing, disconnect the regulator. if the lamp goes out, you've got your culprit

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information