Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Please help with input on modifying a 2 place trailer for 1 jet ski.

I have a 2 place Karavan WCE-2200-84 but only 1 ski. What I want to do is keep the 2 place trailer, but center the ski. Ultimately, I'd like spots for 2 kayaks on either side of the centered ski.

The problem lies in the center tongue beam. I can't simply unbolt the and slide over the support beam that lies underneath the ski due to the center tongue being welded in the way. I guess I could but then it would be uncentered and kind of annoy me.

Any thoughts / input?

Thanks!

I'm going to Florida in 2 weeks and would like to bring the kayaks along with the ski.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170327_115817.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	409535   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170327_115838.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	146.5 KB 
ID:	409536  

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    The few inches of offset when positioned against the center frame rail should be minimal. Unless there is some other reason, don't let it bother you being slightly off center.

+1
    No other reason than not being centred would annoy me...though not enough to do major modifications.

+1
    I would just build a rack for the kayaks on the unused side of the trailer and leave the Sea-Doo where it is. With the ski offset it is easier to see what is behind you in your rear view mirror. Where in Florida are you going? Make sure your tires and wheel bearings are freshly serviced.

+1
    Definitely having them serviced and bringing a spare. We're going to Cape Coral. Pretty pumped.

Would having the weight off center cause uneven wear? Keeping it where it is is fine, I just assumed I'd want the weight centered.

+1
    I have towed many miles with a single ski on a double trailer, as have others. Generally not a problem, but make sure the trailer tires are not too old and are properly pressurized.

Trailer tires older than five years should be replaced regardless of tread wear or how good they 'look'. This goes for the spare tire too. A tire failure at speed can happen without warning and can ruin your day.

And the suspension is fully inspected. No badly rusted bolts or broken/loose leaf springs, axle still aligned with the frame, et.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ajrunke View Post
    Cape Coral. Pretty pumped.
    You're in for a treat-I ride out of Fort Myers Beach. The kayak trails are awesome in the area also-they're well marked and there's many miles. I think once you get a taste of Sea-Dooing on the intracoastal and in the gulf you might be leaving the kayaks on shore.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    I have towed many miles with a single ski on a double trailer, as have others. Generally not a problem, but make sure the trailer tires are not too old and are properly pressurized.

Trailer tires older than five years should be replaced regardless of tread wear or how good they 'look'. This goes for the spare tire too. A tire failure at speed can happen without warning and can ruin your day.

And the suspension is fully inspected. No badly rusted bolts or broken/loose leaf springs, axle still aligned with the frame, et.
    Thanks for the input. Definitely going to do due diligence.

Quote Originally Posted by pro1200 View Post
    You're in for a treat-I ride out of Fort Myers Beach. The kayak trails are awesome in the area also-they're well marked and there's many miles. I think once you get a taste of Sea-Dooing on the intracoastal and in the gulf you might be leaving the kayaks on shore.
    In 2003 I went to Fort Myers beach with a friend at age 19. We rented jet skis at the beach. At age 20 I bought my first ski. 13 years later I'm on my 3rd! In WI, we have somewhere around 15k lakes and I live near Lake Winnebago, on of the largest inland lakes in the states. Nothing beats riding on the ocean.

+1
    Bumping my thread because I've decided that I'm either going to tow 1500 miles with 1 Seadoo in its original spot on the trailer and 2 kayaks in the empty spot or not bring the trailer at all. I ran into another issue when I went to center up the single ski as best as possible. There is a sealed light in the center of the ski. The bunk supports are not far enough apart to clear the light. I'd have to drill through the fixture which I'm not going to do.

My main concern is: what are the downsides to not having the weight evenly distributed between the wheels? If there really isn't any concern, then I'd tow it.

Any suggestions are welcome. I've already had my bearing serviced, bought 2 spare sets and a spare tire for the trip.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ac9f95bdef7711e684c422000b768948.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	409832  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ajrunke View Post
    ... There is a sealed light in the center of the ski. The bunk supports are not far enough apart to clear the light. I'd have to drill through the fixture which I'm not going to do.

I am not seeing the problem? For the existing inner two bunk positions, move the bunk attachment bolts up to the end hole on each bracket (from where the bolts are now) and then you can tilt the bunk boards inwards towards each other.

From what I can see there is no need for the angled bunk support brackets to be sloped the same as the bunk slope against the hull. I see no need to 'reverse' the inner bunk brackets, which would cause the bolts to conflict with the center trailer lamp.

Looking more closely, the existing bunks are not even symetrically attached to the angled bunk supports. Each bunk should be positioned in the same mounting hole on both sides of the hull, this is not the case in the photo.

As shown both hulls would be tilted outwards when resting on the bunks and centered.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information