Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Question Seadoo Sound System

Hey folks!

I've been doing a lot of reading these last few weeks on various forums reading up on peoples' various builds and projects on how they built their sound systems. Now for the most part, people are just listing the parts they used, or the companies they went to.. show some pics of their build... but few actually talk about how their system really sounds on the water, how they actually integrated it in their power system... and how it lasts...

Before going into detail, the build im currently working with is 2008 Wake 155 Seadoo (pretty much stock)
    It has a neat-o LED kit i made, which consists of 2 strips in the front, the Red and Green, a top of the line redneck 360 light pole i designed myself (using a broom stick and peanut butter jar and a 50w LED car headlight lol) and two more led strips in the back, white, to light up the swim plate (just for show)

Now i got myself this fun little amp;
    http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/marine/kac-m1824bt/
    and i'm thinking of getting these Polk speakers, probably 6.5"
    https://www.crutchfield.com/S-VHOOo6...dio-DB652.html

Why those? couldn't really tell ya.. i like that the amp comes with a built in BT receiver.. and i live for that stuff hehe and it seems like a good amount of power that i should hear at full speed with the crosswinds in my face... and the price was right so i went for that..

The main pickle i thought was: where am i going to put the speakers ?
    Do i make pods? Drill them directly into the Hull?
    Over my feet? By my thighs? under my mirrors? Replace my mirrors?
    Many possibilities.. haven't really decided yet, waiting to pull the ski out of the snow so i can think of that later

My new obsession right now is the Power....... how will i power all this mess?!

Can the stator handle running the Ski, and the music all day? or will i blow it?
    A little search found that the max output of the stator is around 380w @ 6000rpm
    It's a 400w peak amp, ~180wRMS
    and thats not factoring the factory consumption of the Ski...
    So im not exactly liking the math on this one

Am i better running it on a auxiliary battery instead? If so, what kind of battery would be able to handle running this sound system at maximum power for an entire day? (lets assume ill be listening to it full blast for up to 8 hours?), And where would i even stick this battery? Still working on figuring out where exactly ill house this amp!

It's worth noting i am NOT the beach type... meaning... i get on the ski.. go for long rides, stop at a dock to eat at a resto, go back on the ski.. continue the ride.. in other words.... if the music is playing, it's cause the engine is running...

I've seen people running the amp directly off the primary battery, others use a secondary, some people put the two in parallel and have the stator charge the two... or use some sort of isolator?
    I'm wondering if i use a 2nd battery, how long my runtime will be
    or if i use just the one... will i murder my ski mid-ride?
    Is there a way to upgrade the stator? or maybe the rectifier so it has a higher output? (similar to upgrading a car alternator)

Any information helps!

Thanks for your time folks, looking forward to your responses!

+1

Seadoo Sound System

With a single battery you only have 30 amps to play with that is charging back while at speed. The ski itself is going to use a bulk of what's available (ecu, dash, reverse bucket, bilge, depth finder if u have one, fuel pump, etc.....).

You will need a secondary battery for the 400W amp. That's a monster load for a ski but I bet it would sound good.

What I would do.......I would NOT run in parallel, I'd leave the stock setup as is and create a second battery tray for another battery that you would charge at the end of each day of riding. I think you'd get several hours out of a fully charged battery and you'd never run the risk of being dead in the water somewhere.

Cool project man!!!!!!

Edit: also get you a cheap volt meter to install somewhere convenient on the ski so you'll know how much juice you have left at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by ABBOTT View Post
    With a single battery you only have 30 amps to play with that is charging back while at speed. The ski itself is going to use a bulk of what's available (ecu, dash, reverse bucket, bilge, depth finder if u have one, fuel pump, etc.....).

You will need a secondary battery for the 400W amp. That's a monster load for a ski but I bet it would sound good.

What I would do.......I would NOT run in parallel, I'd leave the stock setup as is and create a second battery tray for another battery that you would charge at the end of each day of riding. I think you'd get several hours out of a fully charged battery and you'd never run the risk of being dead in the water somewhere.

Cool project man!!!!!!

Edit: also get you a cheap volt meter to install somewhere convenient on the ski so you'll know how much juice you have left at all times.
    Thanks for the advice, Would you have any suggestions as to What kind of battery (acid, gel, lithium, lifepo4) i could use that would give me the maximum amount of playing time?
    And where/how i could install it? i doubt i could just buy a battery tray and drill it into the bottom/side of the hull lol

And yeah, i'm hoping it sounds good, I was quite worried i'd have problems hearing my music while riding, so i went for a relatively "large" option haha... reading up what other's have installed on their Skis, im starting to get the impression i went hella overkill lolol

Thanks again!

I own a car stereo shop. We run an 800 watt 5 channel amp with 8 inch sub. secondary battery in parallel. honestly riding boat with system on full blast is useless. Sitting on the beach with beer in hand while system is cranked up is priceless . several hours play time with trickle charger at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Seadoodoc View Post
    I own a car stereo shop. We run an 800 watt 5 channel amp with 8 inch sub. secondary battery in parallel. honestly riding boat with system on full blast is useless. Sitting on the beach with beer in hand while system is cranked up is priceless . several hours play time with trickle charger at night.
    I'm sure the beach times are fun, however i'm part of a little ridding gang and we collectively don't really stop at beaches much unless to rally up or whatever, I also have a weird schedule with work so when i have time to go on the water, People are usually working so the beaches are generally quiet :P
    Anyway, to each their own!

What more can you tell me about your setup? What is your secondary battery and the amp/speakers/sub you used? Do you have other pictures of your setup, like the placement and such of your amp, head unit, etc?
    And when you run it in parallel, that means your stator charges both batteries, and your sound system drains both, Can your stator keep up with such a large sound system?
    How long do you run your system with your engine off?

Thank for the infos!

+1
    That's the same Kenwood amp and Polk speakers I posted pics of that I bought a few months ago in the other sound system thread on here...I suppose that's where your idea came from lol.
    I'm mounting the speakers in the glove box lid on my RXT-X so it's removable at re-sale time. I would never cut holes in the hull.
    I think I'm going to use a stand alone battery and charge after each ride.

Quote Originally Posted by 11c View Post
    That's the same Kenwood amp and Polk speakers I posted picks of that I bought a few months ago in the other sound system thread on here...I suppose that's where your idea came from lol.
    I'm mounting the speakers in the glove box lid on my 2012 RXT-X so it's removable at re-sale time. I would never cut holes in the hull.
    Hah. No kidding, I havent actually seen your post.... saw the thread but never made it to the end haha, I was just strolling in the electronic store near my house when i walked by their audio section had the both of em side by side...

I am putting this on a 2008 Seadoo GTI wake 155... glove box lid isnt really an option.. too small :/
    and im not too crazy on the idea either of putting holes in my hull.. hence why im hesitant.

Have you decided how you're going to power your system???

+1
    Hey not trying to change your idea but keep something like this in mind (link below). Built in amp AND you'd be able to hook it to normal battery power doing a trickle charge at night.

Now your not carrying the weight of a second battery and your still getting all the features of a normal car stereo even with BT capabilities.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_822MPK...m&awug=1015254

And if you want to do this (below) and be done, I'd consider this as well. It a kicker system made specifically for PWC's. Pretty cool stuff.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/311547335570

http://www.kicker.com/px_amplified_controllers

Quote Originally Posted by ABBOTT View Post
    Hey not trying to change your idea but keep something like this in mind (link below). Built in amp AND you'd be able to hook it to normal battery power doing a trickle charge at night.

Now your not carrying the weight of a second battery and your still getting all the features of a normal car stereo even with BT capabilities.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_822MPK...m&awug=1015254

And if you want to do this (below) and be done, I'd consider this as well. It a kicker system made specifically for PWC's. Pretty cool stuff.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/311547335570

http://www.kicker.com/px_amplified_controllers
    you mentioned without the weight of a second battery because theyre less power hungry systems?

However thanks for the ideas, but the amp is already purchased, only the speakers are left to buy. and as interesting as those options are, they're quite a way's more expensive than what my current parts will cost me, yet somewhat less powerful ;/
    the amp will have cost me ~200$ CND including tax and shipping and the pair of speakers will run me about 80-130 depending on which size i end up getting which im on the fence about... once i figure out where ill install them and how, ill have a better idea.

+1
    I gotcha, understood. Then yea you'll have to move forward with what you have (which will work for sure). It'll require another battery so that you don't pull voltage faster than its receiving it back from the stator.

You mentioned running in parallel. Make sure it's wired that way and not "in series" - which would create a 24v end point (like a golf cart is wired to run voltage up to 48v with 4 12v or 6, 8v batteries). And make sure it's charged back that way too so that your batteries are always on the same level (trickle charger would work).

Yea i mentioned the weight of an additional battery just for convenience and also fuel economy (although not going to hurt it too bad). Just a pain to retro fit another battery somewhere central on the ski so that your not possibly leaning to one side (depending on where your options to put it are on that particular ski).

The systems I mentioned are still power hungry but not near the power of that 400W amp by itself. That's a lot of power for a ski and I'd love to see you do a video of the completed project. Going to sound awesome man.

Since your going down this road, you may as well find a place for an 8 or 10" subwoofer (maybe retro fit it under the front hood that lifts up) where it faces downward. You'll have the power to do it. Hopefully you'll have a receiver with a "pre-out" on it to make wiring a bit easier.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information