Let me out of here......I need to go on Greenhulk!
    +1

Bypassing Ultra 250 key

I picked up 2 Ultra 250s and one of them is missing the immobilizer keys. I would like to see if I can get the thing running and check the electronics. Is there a way to jump out the key switch or does the ecu need to see the key in there to work?

+1
    Don't think so, but cause you have two of 250's you can shift ecu between them for check.
    Last edited by Kamaki; 03-24-2017 at 02:51 PM.

3. +1 by:

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    you'll need a new ECU for the second one, but be careful swapping this stuff out, you don't want to be buying two ecus do you?

I have to agree with peter .. I believe the guy that sold them to u concluded he couldn't fix this issue cheaply .. and I think sadly u bought his issue's which are now ur issue's .. don't cost urself more then what u already spent .. if I had to suggest anything .. maybe part them both out .. or part 1 out .. I'm not gonna ask why u bought 1 let alone .. 2 1st year watered down models but when given lemons .. don't allow the juice to squirt u in the eye

+1
    losing your last key for a kawasaki means you're having a pretty expensive moment. perhaps that ski has some other issues and the key was the last straw so to speak.

there is some guy out there somewhere that claims he can reset them to factor new mode ( sure it can actually be done by forcing a memory error which would "crash the writeable code and force a refresh from read only memory, but he was charging close to the price of a new one. We'll be looking at that when the first immobilizer ecus are discontinued.)

if it was me..I'd run the one right now, make sure the engine is fine then move the ecu to the dead one, to examine. if that one works well enough then buy a new ecu for the original,

I respect the fragility of electronics when they are not grounded and I am understandably nervous anytime I have to pull a known working ecu. I go full on old school with ground strap and anti-static bags.

in simple terms, the less handling of those bits the better.

Wow peter .. ** I stand and applaud ** .. u worded that fabulously .. and without charging the poster a penny .. but u are correct indeed sir .. especially when dealing with such a delicate and temperamental piece of electronics .. that belongs .. and I can't stress this enough .. belongs to some1 else .. great advice if all goes well and he understands the nature of this sophistication .. these ski's are not the ski's of old .. if the poster doesn't have expertise in this field .. I would never suggest tampering with the ECU .. leave well enough alone and move forward .. better to have 1 issue then risk having 2

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ybnvs2 View Post
    I have to agree with peter .. I believe the guy that sold them to u concluded he couldn't fix this issue cheaply .. and I think sadly u bought his issue's which are now ur issue's .. don't cost urself more then what u already spent .. if I had to suggest anything .. maybe part them both out .. or part 1 out .. I'm not gonna ask why u bought 1 let alone .. 2 1st year watered down models but when given lemons .. don't allow the juice to squirt u in the eye
    Yes the parts are for sale here - http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=259007

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    losing your last key for a kawasaki means you're having a pretty expensive moment. perhaps that ski has some other issues and the key was the last straw so to speak.

there is some guy out there somewhere that claims he can reset them to factor new mode ( sure it can actually be done by forcing a memory error which would "crash the writeable code and force a refresh from read only memory, but he was charging close to the price of a new one. We'll be looking at that when the first immobilizer ecus are discontinued.)

if it was me..I'd run the one right now, make sure the engine is fine then move the ecu to the dead one, to examine. if that one works well enough then buy a new ecu for the original,

I respect the fragility of electronics when they are not grounded and I am understandably nervous anytime I have to pull a known working ecu. I go full on old school with ground strap and anti-static bags.

in simple terms, the less handling of those bits the better.
    Thanks, this key system is much more secure than the old switch that the stx uses. Switching the ecu out would have been the easiest route to take but so many people wanted parts off these I didnt even bother, just tore it down.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TMiller View Post
    Thanks, this key system is much more secure than the old switch that the stx uses. Switching the ecu out would have been the easiest route to take but so many people wanted parts off these I didnt even bother, just tore it down.
    In the end

You can only ride one ski at a time

Some pricey bits on that machine

+1
    Sawzall and dumpster. The quickest fix Ive found for these ultras.............

Thread Information