Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

4tec Idle Surging - Anyone actually find a solution yet?

Hey guys, I've been putting up with a 1-200 rpm idle surge on my 2003 GTX S/C. It starts at idle persists all the way to the high rpms. I've checked the Idle bypass controller and it seems fine. I can hear/feel it moving when I put the key on. The problem occurs in and out of the water. I've installed new plugs to no avail. I came across multiple threads all over with people who have a similar issue, but nobody ever posts a solution or conclusion. Has anyone out there actually solved this annoying gremlin? I'm hesitant to drop $200 on a new idle bypass valve just to find out it's the TPS or something simple.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    the idle air valve is 14 years old, it's a precision bit, your options are limited here.

is it a $200 annoyance?..when the IAV finally craps ( and it will at some point..I've seen em go as much as 700 hours) you can replace it without guilt of blowing alot of money on what i say is an minor annoyance.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    the idle air valve is 14 years old, it's a precision bit, your options are limited here.

is it a $200 annoyance?..when the IAV finally craps ( and it will at some point..I've seen em go as much as 700 hours) you can replace it without guilt of blowing alot of money on what i say is an minor annoyance.
    My fear is replacing it and it NOT being the culprit. It's an expensive experiment. I just wonder if there is something else that is known to cause this. I have had this engine completely apart (approximately 70 engine hours ago). It runs good and strong with no issues except this one. It's got a total of 190 or so hours.

Quote Originally Posted by IDoSeaDoo View Post
    Hey guys, I've been putting up with a 1-200 rpm idle surge on my 2003 GTX S/C. It starts at idle persists all the way to the high rpms. I've checked the Idle bypass controller and it seems fine. I can hear/feel it moving when I put the key on. The problem occurs in and out of the water. I've installed new plugs to no avail. I came across multiple threads all over with people who have a similar issue, but nobody ever posts a solution or conclusion. Has anyone out there actually solved this annoying gremlin? I'm hesitant to drop $200 on a new idle bypass valve just to find out it's the TPS or something simple.

ever figure this out? im having a similar issue. Idles will dip to 1600 then jump to 2200. idle bypass is seized on. Could it be fuel?

+1
    Well, I hooked up the BUDS to mine, and it seemed that the pressure sensor on the manifold was fb fluctuating ever so slightly. This was with the engine off. I haven't replaced mine yet, but that's what I'm currently suspecting. I doubt it's fuel because that boat has a new tank and completely fresh fuel, new fuel filters and I verified it gets the correct fuel pressure. I also changed my plugs recently and rebuilt the sc.

+1
    Try a new Map sensor and clean the Intake manifold temp sensor.

It was high fuel pressure on mine. An adjustable pressure regulator fixed it.

Quote Originally Posted by IDoSeaDoo View Post
    Well, I hooked up the BUDS to mine, and it seemed that the pressure sensor on the manifold was fb fluctuating ever so slightly. This was with the engine off. I haven't replaced mine yet, but that's what I'm currently suspecting. I doubt it's fuel because that boat has a new tank and completely fresh fuel, new fuel filters and I verified it gets the correct fuel pressure. I also changed my plugs recently and rebuilt the sc.
    Starting to suspect one of the manifold sensors could be the issue for mine as well, mainly because I haven't checked them. I did swap coils, plugs, injectors with a known working ski and the idle surge issue persisted. In the process of diagnosing, I noticed a leaking waterbox. Im going to make a new post about my issues including this leak.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by zylinderkopf View Post
    Starting to suspect one of the manifold sensors could be the issue for mine as well, mainly because I haven't checked them. I did swap coils, plugs, injectors with a known working ski and the idle surge issue persisted. In the process of diagnosing, I noticed a leaking waterbox. Im going to make a new post about my issues including this leak.
    Waterbox leak. I am betting thats your problem right there.

+1
    What do you mean? Leaking exhaust or water? I sometimes run my engine with the cover open, and it still surges.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information