+1

changing oil/extracting oil 1.8L Yamaha with a Mityvac? Never done before

Hey everyone. I bought a mityvac extractor/pump to extract the oil from my toys. I was wondering if anyone had any best practices they recommend with the process. I have a service manual I got from the store and it says I need to go through the dipstick. Wondering how to extract the most of the oil as I've heard quite a bit remains in the case.

thanks,

Mike

+1
    Warm the engine up a few minutes. Jack up or roll left side of trailer 6". Drop nose of trailer to the ground. Insert tube into dipstick hole & suck / pump out. 3-3 1/2 quarts is typical. Level trailer & change oil filter. Use rags under filter. replace only the amount you removed. Warm engine again, shutdown , wait & check level. OR, Jerry sells a "last drop" oil removal kit in the GreenHulk store.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rooster View Post
    Warm the engine up a few minutes. Jack up or roll left side of trailer 6". Drop nose of trailer to the ground. Insert tube into dipstick hole & suck / pump out. 3-3 1/2 quarts is typical. Level trailer & change oil filter. Use rags under filter. replace only the amount you removed. Warm engine again, shutdown , wait & check level. OR, Jerry sells a "last drop" oil removal kit in the GreenHulk store.
    In addition, to this advice, I have discovered that jacking up the left rear of the trailer (opposite side of the dipstick) will cause more oil to pool under the dipstick and allow you to extract more oil than if you leave the ski level, So nose down, left rear up will maximize oil extraction through the dipstick tube

Now I haven't verified this, but I read on another forum that once you extract all the oil you can, start the ski with the throttle held in all the way.
    The ski will not start, but turn over, as holding the throttle in puts the motor in flood clear mode.
    This will pump oil out of the oil cooler, so as you can get the extra oil out.

Obviously, try the flood clear mode to verify BEFORE you remove any oil.

As I stated, I haven't verified this, but I will try it next oil change.

Mr Relish

+1

6. +1 by:

+1

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey_Relish View Post
    Now I haven't verified this, but I read on another forum that once you extract all the oil you can, start the ski with the throttle held in all the way.
    The ski will not start, but turn over, as holding the throttle in puts the motor in flood clear mode.
    This will pump oil out of the oil cooler, so as you can get the extra oil out.

Obviously, try the flood clear mode to verify BEFORE you remove any oil.

As I stated, I haven't verified this, but I will try it next oil change.

Mr Relish
    Thanks Monkey Relish, above method verified. I just changed the oil for the first time on my FX and these tips proved to be very effective. By jacking up the port/stern corner and turning the motor over about 3 separate times I got out 4.5 quarts, not bad based on what Iv'e read from others. The filter was even empty, no mess at all!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YAMA HAMA View Post
    Thanks Monkey Relish, above method verified. I just changed the oil for the first time on my FX and these tips proved to be very effective. By jacking up the port/stern corner and turning the motor over about 3 separate times I got out 4.5 quarts, not bad based on what Iv'e read from others. The filter was even empty, no mess at all!
    4.5 quarts is 5.1 litres of oil? From and fx 1800?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
    4.5 quarts is 5.1 litres of oil? From and fx 1800?
    A quick check of a conversion calculator shows 4.25 liters for 4.5 quarts. Yes FX SVHO 1800.

Thread Information