Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Svho retainer install things to look for....

I'm just smart enough, too dumb to worry about anything, and love motors enough to take on any task. I've literally gone through every search i could and here are some things to look out for....

1. On the underside of the valve cover there is a chain guide. I knew it was there and i knew it was prone to fall off. Check the pictures. You can see it had fallen of and was down at the bottom of where the chain loops the crank.

2. Forget about trying to find tdc with a screwdriver. Buy you a 50$ tdc tool off ebay and you can keep it forever, use it on the retainers and know for sure you're TDC.

3. I personally dont trust anything under 40psi to hold the valves closed. At a minimum of 40psi pumping the cylinder up, my engine started to rotate..... which at that point you're no longer TDC and refer to #2 and its no big deal.

4. You can try and keep the engine from turning over with a 27mm sockt/wrench on the pump strapped to something. (See picture). You'll need the 27mm anyway to rotate the motor over by hand.

5. The stock tensioner can be tricky AF to get to lock into the full "retracted" position. Be patient, have a little something to push that snap ring into the groove (small screw driver or even razor blade. Just need to lock it in)

6. And i can only laugh at myself for this one.... if you buy titanium retainers, make sure they fit your application. Riva sells a retainer upgrade for STOCK SPRINS RY19040-SRU. But if you get anything other then that, say ry19040-vtu-2..... those are for rivas dual springs setup and DO NOT work with stock spring.

I've made it this far and now gotta order the right retainers, NBD, just wasnt much info out there in a search so here is some more that may help. Ive buzzed stock retainers at 8800+ rpm for 200hrs now so i know ive pushed my luck far enough hahahaha!! Once i finallyget the right retainers and install them I'll post up anything else i see that may be helpful.

Ill post a link to the R&D cam gear install that has some very good overall general info as well.

R&D Cam Gear Install Doc
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...1&share_type=t

+1

+1
    At the same time, hopefully we can keep it on topic, anyone ever use the APE retainers? Any issues? Required reshimming? RPM limit?

Does supertech make a stock replacement titanium retainer? Required reshimming? RPM limit?

Anyone else make a stock replacement retainer and have info on it?

No one's hating on riva, we know they're 100% legit. But as an "open" forum we should discuss what performance items work and what doesnt even if we dont get that sweet discount from the store!!

+1

That's the dual spring retainer on a single spring... my mistake

+1
    Your lucky with that chain guide just stayed there..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RIVERA RACING View Post
    Your lucky with that chain guide just stayed there..
    Tell me about it! pulled the valve cover, turned it over and thought sh** sh** sh** hahaha

+1
    What did you use to glue it back.

+1
    I haven't yet. Got any suggestions? I was thinking some sort of epoxy

+1
    I used yamaha bond.

What link was the TDC tool you bought and used?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information