Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    freedom04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    287
    +1
    5

    Polaris 700 Performance Upgrades

    Hey guys,
    I'm just finishing up with everything on my 2004 polaris freedom with the 700 carbed engine. Anyone have any performance upgrades i could try out? i heard that you could get rid of the PLANET sound reduction system, it's so quiet, i can barely hear it running haha, anyone know how to get rid of the sound reduction, and also anyone have any ideas for upgrades?


  2. #2
    ripcuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Newman Lake, WA
    Posts
    2,478
    +1
    186
    The sound reduction system is the plastic resonator between the metal waterbox and the exhaust outlet. Looks like the Freedom only has one... you just remove the resonator... and put a piece of straight pipe in it's place so exhaust is routed from waterbox direct to outlet. Not sure of performance increase for this... but would be a little louder.

    As for performance options... check out this thread: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=205155&highlight=700+more+power

    Cheers!

  3. +1 by:


  4. #3
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    38,686
    +1
    1,636
    The PLANET exhaust resonators do not reduce engine power, but they DO reduce annoying exhaust drone and noise.

    Why annoy everyone around you and give yourself headaches?

    There are tweaks that can increase engine power, jet pump thrust, acceleration and speed. By far the most effective upgrade is to install the three cylinder 1200 engine. Really changes the entire boat.

    Using the twin engine, in no particular order of preference;
    Cylinder heads can be reshaped to increase cylinder compression. Typically requires use of premium octane gasoline
    Cylinders can be ported to improve engine air flow
    Crankcase can be ported
    Dual carburetors improve power and allow individual tuning of each cylinder. This was factory configuration on some red two cylinder engines
    Intake reeds can be upgrade to carbon fiber type
    Ignition timing curve can be tuned to better match the modified engine
    A third air ventilation tube can be added under the front shroud cowling to feed air more freely into the hull.

    6 vane stainless steel jet pump provides better thrust and efficiency from the same engine power
    When engine power is increased the impeller may need to be changed to bring the peak engine RPM on the water back to the optimal RPM.

  5. +1 by:


  6. #4
    freedom04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    287
    +1
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    The PLANET exhaust resonators do not reduce engine power, but they DO reduce annoying exhaust drone and noise.

    Why annoy everyone around you and give yourself headaches?

    There are tweaks that can increase engine power, jet pump thrust, acceleration and speed. By far the most effective upgrade is to install the three cylinder 1200 engine. Really changes the entire boat.

    Using the twin engine, in no particular order of preference;
    Cylinder heads can be reshaped to increase cylinder compression. Typically requires use of premium octane gasoline
    Cylinders can be ported to improve engine air flow
    Crankcase can be ported
    Dual carburetors improve power and allow individual tuning of each cylinder. This was factory configuration on some red two cylinder engines
    Intake reeds can be upgrade to carbon fiber type
    Ignition timing curve can be tuned to better match the modified engine
    A third air ventilation tube can be added under the front shroud cowling to feed air more freely into the hull.

    6 vane stainless steel jet pump provides better thrust and efficiency from the same engine power
    When engine power is increased the impeller may need to be changed to bring the peak engine RPM on the water back to the optimal RPM.
    Thanks Keith,
    I didn't know that it was just for sound, i thought it was restricting performance a little. so for the PLANET system, i'm just going to leave it how it is, because your right i don't wanna piss off any of the neighbors . i'm thinking of purchasing the Dual carb setup, and putting more air into the hull. i do have a question though, is there any mods to replace the stock air filter to 2 k&n ones?
    Thanks again

  7. #5
    Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,857
    +1
    457
    no need to get more air into the hull of the twin motor setups.going to 92 octane domes will help as will a 6 vane stainless steel pump stator.twin 38mm carbs from any 98-99 slth will work just fine,you'll need the carbs,intake,flame arrestor,associated bolts,and oil pump complete,can you post a pic of the sponsons from the rear angle?the virage tx sponsons can be cut down and will improve the handling some,i've done my 00 virage that way and have another set.go look for mrs behaving in the projects section

  8. +1 by:


  9. #6
    freedom04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    287
    +1
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by TxVirageTx View Post
    no need to get more air into the hull of the twin motor setups.going to 92 octane domes will help as will a 6 vane stainless steel pump stator.twin 38mm carbs from any 98-99 slth will work just fine,you'll need the carbs,intake,flame arrestor,associated bolts,and oil pump complete,can you post a pic of the sponsons from the rear angle?the virage tx sponsons can be cut down and will improve the handling some,i've done my 00 virage that way and have another set.go look for mrs behaving in the projects section

    Thanks for the response,
    I'm ordering a set of dual carbs, kind of trying to find ones that have a whole setup. i saw on one of your project sections that you put different air filters on them, do u remember which ones? i'm looking to also put them on when i receive the duals. I'm going to go to my garage tomorrow and take a picture of my sponsons, so u could give me more info on that, what MPH did u get after your mods to your 00' virage?

  10. #7
    shawndak07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina, United States
    Posts
    79
    +1
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by freedom04 View Post
    Thanks for the response,
    I'm ordering a set of dual carbs, kind of trying to find ones that have a whole setup. i saw on one of your project sections that you put different air filters on them, do u remember which ones? i'm looking to also put them on when i receive the duals. I'm going to go to my garage tomorrow and take a picture of my sponsons, so u could give me more info on that, what MPH did u get after your mods to your 00' virage?
    Honestly don't waste your money on the dual carbs. I ran them and took them back off immediately. The single carb is hands down the best for equal cylinder performance.

    I had 2 sets of heads, 1 was the older head that made 120 PSI and the newer 150+ psi. Wow what a change! I forget the part numbers but I believe you can see your head model after just taking off the red caps. I believe the 04 already has the high compression heads though?

    Also go pick up a set of Autolite XP63 spark plugs. Ebay, Amazon or local parts store should have them. I replaced a brand new pair of NGK Coppers with the XP63 and it blew my mind. Max RPMS went up 100-200, the idle smoothed out and it starts instantly. That was hands down the best power upgrade I've seen for $5 bucks!

    Also check your plugs after a 1 minute high speed run. Cut the engine while at full speed and pull a plug. Should be white with a shade of tan. Even during normal running your plugs should be tan. Not brown, not black. If its brown or black lean out your carb and make sure your not mixing too much oil. You should rarely see smoke with the 700. Leaner is Meaner!

    This motor is pretty maxed out as is. Its around 100 HP! Even with two people I find it quite fun. Remember this is a 3 seater ski, even the 700 2 seater is much more peppy. If you want a 3 seater with power, you need a bigger engine. No mods to the 700 will make you happy.

  11. +1 by:


  12. #8
    Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,857
    +1
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by shawndak07 View Post
    Honestly don't waste your money on the dual carbs. I ran them and took them back off immediately. The single carb is hands down the best for equal cylinder performance.

    I had 2 sets of heads, 1 was the older head that made 120 PSI and the newer 150+ psi. Wow what a change! I forget the part numbers but I believe you can see your head model after just taking off the red caps. I believe the 04 already has the high compression heads though?

    Also go pick up a set of Autolite XP63 spark plugs. Ebay, Amazon or local parts store should have them. I replaced a brand new pair of NGK Coppers with the XP63 and it blew my mind. Max RPMS went up 100-200, the idle smoothed out and it starts instantly. That was hands down the best power upgrade I've seen for $5 bucks!

    Also check your plugs after a 1 minute high speed run. Cut the engine while at full speed and pull a plug. Should be white with a shade of tan. Even during normal running your plugs should be tan. Not brown, not black. If its brown or black lean out your carb and make sure your not mixing too much oil. You should rarely see smoke with the 700. Leaner is Meaner!

    This motor is pretty maxed out as is. Its around 100 HP! Even with two people I find it quite fun. Remember this is a 3 seater ski, even the 700 2 seater is much more peppy. If you want a 3 seater with power, you need a bigger engine. No mods to the 700 will make you happy.
    i'll put the 777 dual 40mm carb sx up against any single pipe combo 700 and single carb and destroy it.my buddies slth with twin 38's would gap my single carb virage everytime,including any other virage put up against it.dropping twin 40's on mine and nothing else i would gap him everytime from then on,and that was an old wore out 700 that finally gave up the ghost.now the 777 will strap a length on it before its planed out and slowly slip away from him and i still might do the 92 domes on it and repitch the prop.properly working 38's and 92 domes will wake up a single carbed 700,theres no comparision between the air flow potential between twin 38's and a single 40.but its not like i'm a keihin noobie.

  13. #9
    Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,857
    +1
    457

    iridium plugs

    straight from the ngk guys,don't run the iridium plugs.they don't give the proper heat dissapation.

  14. #10
    shawndak07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina, United States
    Posts
    79
    +1
    1
    You will not "destroy" a single carb 700 with a dual carb 700.

    There's a reason they moved to the single carb in the new 700's vs dual in the older models. Once again I put on the dual carbs and tuned them very well. I saw no difference in power. Plus now you have a greater possibility of failure.

    You can absolutely run the Iridium spark plugs on these machines. They engineer the iridium plug to have the same heat dissipation as a copper or platinum. Do you think they'd release a spark plug that does not meet the requirements of the original? I've been running Iridium plugs on about a dozen of my machines. Cars, motorcycles, dirt bikes, lawn equipment, jet skis and snowmobiles with only positive results. I've never had a single one foul nor cause an issue.

    Once again the $200 you'll spend on the entire carb setup is absolutely not worth it. Tune your current carb, run Iridium plugs and enjoy the high output this engine already has.
    Last edited by shawndak07; 04-10-2017 at 12:53 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2002 Polaris Virage SLT 700 ignition upgrade
    By dutch1365 in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-05-2017, 10:45 PM
  2. New to me 2000 SLH 700 .... performance upgrades?
    By jjenkins in forum Polaris PWC Performance
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-16-2015, 02:59 PM
  3. Polaris SLT 780 performance upgrades?
    By polaris780slt in forum Polaris PWC Performance
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-01-2015, 11:52 PM
  4. value of OE polaris 700 ignition upgrade kit 2873022?
    By indy440 in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-12-2014, 07:00 AM
  5. 2001 Polaris VIRAGE TXI performance upgrades?
    By john8873 in forum Polaris PWC Performance
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-08-2007, 06:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •