Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2 stroke rebuild

I currently have the engine of my gp 760 out. Last time i had checked my compression it was under 120 so i figure this would be a good chance to re ring. I am fine with taking it down but my question is: should i empty the block and add new oil, the reason i am thinking this is because i had an exhaust leak and i think it was allowing water in. My plugs always looked grey when taken off. I really don't want to do a full rebuild and split the case but i wouldn't rule that out. So should i suck the fluid out and add more oil, and if so how much of what kind of oil do i use? Otherwise i will do a full rebuild and put in new crank seals and bearing as well to ensure no future issues.

+1
    Ummm... You put oil in your crankcase???

So i can drain whatever is in there and leave it at that? I was under the impression via other posts and videos there was oil put in the crankcase to lubricate? Maybe i miss understood<

+1
    I'm just curious where the drain plug is, and the filler cap.

5. +1 by:

I am not sure if you are trying to ridicule me but that is why i asked the question. Because i do not know.

+1
    Yes, actually, I'm giving you a hard time. Your engine doesn't have oil in the crankcase, it is either pre-mixed with the fuel, or it is injected in the carburetors.

I figured that anyone that could perform a compression test and was planning to overhaul the engine would know that.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cimilljm View Post
    So i can drain whatever is in there and leave it at that? I was under the impression via other posts and videos there was oil put in the crankcase to lubricate? Maybe i miss understood<
    I honestly hope you have been adding oil regularly to the the oil tank, based on that you didn't know that oil doesn't get changed or sit in the crankcase like a 4 stroke. their is either a tank of oil you have to keep topped off, or premixed into gas then added into gas tank. when oil goes into the engine it is with fuel to make sure the pistons and crankcase are lubricated. but to answer your question. No there is no oil in the gas tank. i do suggest however you do a little bit of research of how 2 strokes operate before you start tearing it down. learn about them, then once you feel comfortable than tear it down. i wish you the best with your ski.

Just don't forget to keep that oil topped off

Seems how i have put nearly 40 hours on the ski and also own and operate many other 2 stroke lawn equipment i think that i am well aware on the basics of how oil injection AND premix work. With that being said i have seen Youtube videos ( ) (around the 2 minute mark) where the person puts oil in the crank case. This is a 2 stroke motor i do understand it is a sea doo but it is a 2 stroke. I am very sorry that my ignorance through misleading videos has annoyed you folks so much. Seems how i am trying to learn and understand how to rebuild my engine i appreciate this. Know that you know where i am coming from, can we discuss once i take the cylinders off there is nothing i need or should do to the crankcase?

The seadoos use a little oil for the counterbalance shaft.

+1
    The Kawasaki 1200s use some oil for the balance shafts, too. Your engine doesn't have them. Put some oil on each crankshaft bearing and the wrist pin bearings, put some oil on the cylinders, and you're done.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information