+1

RXP 300 resonator removal

Ok, I give up! I've searched YouTube, the Internet and this forum and have not found a thread or video explaining how people got that huge resonator out of their RXP 300 without cutting it into pieces. Riva's instructions say, "Pull the heat exchanger up to release it from the resonator bracket." Easy enough.

Then it says, "Lower the heat exchanger with the attached hoses into the hull." Um, those attached hoses are preformed, bent hoses with one still attached at the rear so it's not going to just lay in the hull.

Next the instructions say, "Pull the resonator upward while twisting it back and forth to remove it from the through hull fitting." Again, straight forward and easy enough.

Now comes the Houdini part I don't follow, "Remove the resonator from the hull and discard..." Doesn't say to loosen the straps on the intercooler to give you some room to clear the downward pipe on the resonator that was attached to the through hull fitting. Doesn't say you can't clear the top of the deck lid so you can't just slide it forward (which the heat exchanger is still not laying in the hull).

So, how did you all do it...and thanks!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rx4pain View Post
    Ok, I give up! I've searched YouTube, the Internet and this forum and have not found a thread or video explaining how people got that huge resonator out of their RXP 300 without cutting it into pieces. Riva's instructions say, "Pull the heat exchanger up to release it from the resonator bracket." Easy enough.

Then it says, "Lower the heat exchanger with the attached hoses into the hull." Um, those attached hoses are preformed, bent hoses with one still attached at the rear so it's not going to just lay in the hull.

Next the instructions say, "Pull the resonator upward while twisting it back and forth to remove it from the through hull fitting." Again, straight forward and easy enough.

Now comes the Houdini part I don't follow, "Remove the resonator from the hull and discard..." Doesn't say to loosen the straps on the intercooler to give you some room to clear the downward pipe on the resonator that was attached to the through hull fitting. Doesn't say you can't clear the top of the deck lid so you can't just slide it forward (which the heat exchanger is still not laying in the hull).

So, how did you all do it...and thanks!

Twist and pull. It will rub on the hull a little but it will come out in one piece. You have to get a little aggressive with it. It was a pain....I wanted to throw it once I finally got it out. I did this with the intercooler still attached.

+1
    remove intercooler, push oil cooler down, twist resonator side ways and it will come out easy.

+1
    Good to know it can be taken out in one piece. I think I will opt to remove the intercooler. Thank you both for the guidance!

+1
    I still need to do this and install the rear exhaust kit and waterbox. Really not looking forward to it at all !!!

+1
    I was putting it off too. I didn't get the water box. Had a hard time pulling that $400+ trigger when I know I know I won't mod this ski much. I'm dreading the installation and aligning the hoses based on testimonials (screams) I read in other posts.

+1
    On the rear exhaust, I slid the blue coupling (attached to exhaust pipe) over the billit exit piece with a clamp on it ready to tighten (and just tight enough to not have the head fall down on me) with a light coat of grease on the inside of the coupling so it slid in with ease.

Now to tighten the clamp....
    I took my small drive socket wrench with correct socket on it and zip tied a long socket extension to the handle of the wrench.

Once able to place the socket on the head, I literally went 1 or 2 clicks every tightening rotation by going up and down on the extension handle. Took a long time but it worked. Had to stop and rest hand a few times due to odd angle.

Some have had success with angle socket extensions but I couldn't get that to work because the clamp kept moving on me.

+1
    Yea I heard reaching down there is a real pain. One guy got stuck and had to scream for his neighbor to pull him out. The other pain is lining up the new waterbox and clamps.

Thread Information