+1

End Cavitation WIth Deanís Team Yamaha Transom Plate Modification

With the increasing power and speeds being achieved with the new GP1800 hull, tuners are having to preemptively solve issues before racers and riders encounter them in a large scale. The latest salvo in keeping racers safe and securely glued to the water hails from none other than Dean’s Team who has developed a new Transom Plate Modification for both the Yamaha GP1800 and FX SVHO WaveRunners.

More at WatercraftJournal.Com
    Last edited by Rustymuscle; 03-16-2017 at 07:33 PM.

It does not end cavitation.....Dean says so himself.....it does help some.

To test this modification, i sent my transom plate to Dean's Team for transom plate modification....
    It is on its way back and I am scheduled to get it back on Monday.....I will post when i get it back!
    Dave

4. +1 by:

Update:

I have received the transom modification back from Team Dean's racing.....

The machine work on the housing looks totally awesome. It also has a beveled/tapered intake side of the housing that fits against the hull.
    If people think that they can not remove this transom plate....think again....all you have to do is unbolt everything and remove the hoses on
    the inside of the hull.....you do not have to worry about having trouble with the plate coming off....once everything is loose, it just practically
    falls off in your hands....at the most, with the ride plate removed pry it off the hull with any flat blade screwdriver.

I now have it installed in the hull along with the Riva intake grate and ride plate. I used Ultra black silicone in a caulking gun tube bought
    at Advanced Auto parts for less than 20.00. Just make sure that you make sure all of the surfaces are clean and roughed up. I used brake cleaner
    to clean the hull and the transom plate.
    Any place that looked like it needed to be sealed, I loaded it with the Permatex Ultra Black. My goal is to have ZERO air leaks in the pump tunnel area.

Will update as soon as parts and time permits.

Dave

I am now waiting for my impeller and updated ECU from Dean. Should be here any day now.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane1000 View Post
    ....you do not have to worry about having trouble with the [transom] plate coming off....

I now have it installed in the hull along with the Riva intake grate and ride plate. I used Ultra black silicone ...

Any place that looked like it needed to be sealed, I loaded it with the Permatex Ultra Black. My goal is to have ZERO air leaks in the pump tunnel area.

When reinstalling the transom plate, it is important that it be pushed up and to the right, so that it squarely contacts the alignment tabs molded into the hull (two tabs above, one on the right). This also ensures that the upper curve of the transom plate aligns with the curve of the intake tunnel.

While holding it firmly in position against the alignment tabs, tighten the four nuts that hold it to the hull. Double check that the transom plate does not shift out of position while tightening the nuts inside the hull.

When done, there should be no lip (on either side or the top) where the hull tunnel mates with the transom plate.

There should be sealant all the way around the top rim of the pump tunnel so it is fully sealed to the transom plate. Having the curved casting voids in the transom plate filled (I used West System epoxy with 403 fine chopped glass filler) provides a wider surface for the sealant to bond the transom plate to the hull.

Lake Lion
    +1
    Well, Hurricane?

Testing just done last week at the hydro-drags showed cavitaion decreased slightly.....a small gain.....However, working with Dean of Team dean's directly
    at the races......we came up with a positive improvement with less impeller pitch and different nozzle size......smaller 83mm nozzle from a 2009-2011 FZR.
    It is a 5 degree unit with a 83mm exit nozzle.....This works really well.....only hits the limiter a couple of times and picked up 1.5 mph on top speed verified
    just yesterday afternoon by GPS. I weigh 260 and have not had anyone else ride the ski....but I have a friend that's coming up from Miami and he weighs 140.
    With his light weight, it may very possibly holeshot without cavitaion at all.....
    I have retainers and I am running higher RPM but the repitch and the nozzle really picked up my ski holeshot and top speed......

Dean can repitch your impeller at a very low cost. The nozzle can be ordered through the Green Hulk store at a 10% discount and free shipping!

My results, other testing my vary.

Dave

Lake Lion
    +1
    I've noticed Dean does not fill the large holes up top. I wonder if this would help.

Thread Information