Smile 05' RXT Supercharged ECM + Electronic box ?

Hi there, I'm a learning student when it comes to the newer 4 stroke Seadoo's and recently purchased a supercharged 2005' RXT with a blown engine , I got it very cheap and was considering an engine swap but now I think I'm just gonna part it out. Anyways I was shocked when I discovered it had basically 2 ECM's? The regular looking one and then another smaller box with 2 large plug in's, they call it an electronic box or something? part number # 420664947 My question is what exactly does that 2nd box do and do both boxes have to be programmed to the same d.e.s.s key? I also heard these boxes also had to be programmed to the gauge cluster, is that really true? My friend has an 07' Speedster 215 hp. which needs a new elec. box , would mine work on his 07' or no? His calls for part # 420664946 and mine is 420664947 . I'm wondering if it would still work if it were reprogrammed to match his ECM or if that's a no go? I would really appreciate any info on my questions, thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by extreme View Post
    Hi there, I'm a learning student when it comes to the newer 4 stroke Seadoo's and recently purchased a supercharged 2005' RXT with a blown engine , I got it very cheap and was considering an engine swap but now I think I'm just gonna part it out. Anyways I was shocked when I discovered it had basically 2 ECM's? The regular looking one and then another smaller box with 2 large plug in's, they call it an electronic box or something? part number # 420664947 My question is what exactly does that 2nd box do and do both boxes have to be programmed to the same d.e.s.s key? I also heard these boxes also had to be programmed to the gauge cluster, is that really true? My friend has an 07' Speedster 215 hp. which needs a new elec. box , would mine work on his 07' or no? His calls for part # 420664946 and mine is 420664947 . I'm wondering if it would still work if it were reprogrammed to match his ECM or if that's a no go? I would really appreciate any info on my questions, thanks so much!
    Welcome to Greenhulk!

Answers to your questions:

1. There are two control modules on your ski. The ECM sits on the intake manifold and controls all of the basic engine functions. The other box mounted next to the battery is called the MPEM and it is a holdover from earlier skis.
    2. The MPEM acts as a power control box for a number of functions, and on your ski it also drives the functions in the instrument cluster.
    3. The DESS key is programmed in the ECM only
    4. The cluster on a 2005 does not need to be married to the ECM. That function started with the 2006 models.
    5. Your control units wont work on a 2007 boat. The 2007 boat had the same basic architecture as the 2006 PWC models which was a special year.

Thread Information