Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

2003 MSX 140 HO wont start! Help Please

I purchased this recently and am trying to get it going. I was told it has been broken for about 4 months. The seller said he replaced the starter because the bendix broke, after that he hooked the battery up backwards and popped a fuse. Replaced the fuse and it wouldn't start. I have a feeling he was into more than this though. The fuel fill hose was disconnected and the EMM was sitting loose and not strapped down.

I have done some initial testing and repairs with no luck..

Fuel: I wasn't getting proper pressure so I removed fuel pump to inspect and test. Found the fuel regulator laying on the bottom of the pump assembly. Epoxied that back in place. Drained all the old fuel, cleaned the tank and put back together. Filled with fresh gas. I'm now getting 25 pounds of pressure.

Compression: between 85-90 on all three. Used a cheap gauge, but I'm confident there were no major differences.

Spark: Replaced plugs, checked spark and it seems a little sporadic. Mostly consistent, but every now and then it seems like it skips a spark on all three.

Injectors: 18volts on red/white wire on all three. Removed and cleaned each injector. Not sure how to test these further?

I sprayed some fuel into the cylinders and it starts up for a few seconds, but wont fire at all without doing this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and was really excited to find this forum with so many knowledgeable people!!

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

If you disconnected any fuel injectors while measuring the injector voltage, the results are not accurate. All fuel injector tires plugged in, black meter probe to engine ground. Find a place in the wire harness to tap into a white/red wire, they are all interconnected.

Lanyard in place.

Measure red/white wire injector voltage while cranking. It must be over 20 volts while cranking, typically about 23 volts, give or take.

Reversed battery voltage may have damaged the EMM and possibly the start solenoid. There is a snubber diode inside the solenoid. If Start button was pressed with battery polarity reversed that internal solenoid diode may have been damaged. Will not prevent cranking but can cause engine shut down when Start button is released.

Inspect the solenoid. If it is the original black body with metal backing plate, replace the solenoid. Originals are known to corrode internally and can fail without warning, possibly stranding you on the water or even burning out the starter motor and wiring.

Compression numbers seem really low but consistent. Once you get the ignition sorted out recheck with a known accurate gauge.

Hi,

Thanks for the help. I did NOT unplug the injectors when testing the voltage. Could a problem with the start solenoid cause low voltage to the injectors? Also, where is the start solenoid located?

One other thing to mention, I put autolite plugs in it, not NGK. I just read one of your posts that says to only use NGK.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by AquaLove View Post
    One other thing to mention, I put autolite plugs in it, not NGK. I just read one of your posts that says to only use NGK.
    Wrong spark plugs will cause problems. The Ficht EMM is not tolerate of different spark plugs.

Wrong spark plugs would not kill spark completely but it can cause weird running problems.

6. +1 by:

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    fitch ignition systems require a specialty spark plug that was actually custom designed for these systems. Use of anything else will always cause frustration and unneeded expenses as you chase everything else.

Yup $20 plugs are painful, so is wasting an entire day on chasing some BS, like using the wrong sparkplugs.

your low injector voltage is telling me that the d/c to d/c converter in the emm was damaged

just for grins, try to spin the engine up with one of the injectors unplugged..on the triple two strokes that's "low injector voltage diagnostic method" I use when I first pop the seat on a no start, even before I get my voltmeter out. if the engine coughs and sputters with an injector unplugged the emm will have to be repaired.

hearing the battery was connected backwards kinds reinforces that feeling.

we have three different sizes of trailer balls, but on most batteries both terminals are the same size..now how did THAT happen?
    Last edited by K447; 03-31-2017 at 10:12 PM.

Picked up the correct plugs today. Ordered the solenoid. Will let you know what happens after it gets replaced. I'm guessing if this doesn't do it, I'll need to send out the EMM?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    next up would be measuring the stator outputs

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    next up would be measuring the stator outputs
    How do you check these outputs?

My battery has 12.5 volts. I checked the starter side of the possibly failed solenoid and it's only getting to 8.5 volts. Shouldn't it be 12.5?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information