Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    From Toms River Nj , Now in Port St Lucie FL
    +1

Karavan Trailer Opinion, Buying question ASAP

So i found a Karavan single Galvanized trailer for sale, I haven't seen this style before but it does have a torsion axle, and sits low which is great for launching, has anyone seen these before? Looking for some pinons on reliability, its in great shape and hopefully if he agrees on 425$ I will go pick it up tomorrow or this week. Gp1800 will be sitting on it. would you buy it for 425-450?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trailer 2.jpg 
Views:	503 
Size:	182.3 KB 
ID:	408908   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trailer 1.jpg 
Views:	527 
Size:	192.6 KB 
ID:	408909  
    Last edited by TwzteD; 03-14-2017 at 07:17 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TwzteD View Post
    So i found a Karavan single Galvanized trailer for sale, I haven't seen this style before but it does have a torsion axle, and sits low which is great for launching, has anyone seen these before? Looking for some pinons on reliability, its in great shape and hopefully if he agrees on 425$ I will go pick it up tomorrow or this week. Gp1800 will be sitting on it. would you buy it for 425-450?

You need to find out the what the weight rating/carrying capacity is for that model and then compare that with the weight of your ski. From your 2nd picture, it looks like there are stickers that should provide that information. Also, check the manufacture date of the tires. If older than 5 years, they gotta go. Other than that, it looks like a good deal.

+1
    I've been using this exact trailer in salt water with a current large ski since 2010:

The only shortcoming is that the axle has "maintenance free" bearings that are not serviceable and do wear out sooner than I would like. Whether it is worth what the seller is asking is for you to determine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000228.jpg 
Views:	394 
Size:	158.6 KB 
ID:	408929  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pro1200 View Post
    The only shortcoming is that the axle has "maintenance free" bearings that are not serviceable and do wear out sooner than I would like.
    Oh, the "joy" of maintenance free bearings:

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=184393

5. +1 by:

From Toms River Nj , Now in Port St Lucie FL
    +1
    Yes I had read that thread lastnight and totally steered me away from that trailer because of the bearing design. Thanks for everyone's input, im not buying it.

Tires on a trailer rated C or D should be changed every 1000 miles not 5 years .. Do some actual research b4 making a hasty and foolish decision .. A trailer is an investment that protects ur ski .. These are 2 very different trailers in the pics below .. 1 has a single bolt where the toungue meets the Y to the base of the cradle .. the other has no bolt due to the redesign of a split connecting to the cradle .. just bcuz they make a trailer does not mean u should buy 1 .. they made this out of a fence post literally .. and .. neither 1 is welded .. most karavans are now painted .. 1 more thing to help conceal the fact that they are not good quality which shows by year 2 from the rust forcing its way thru the paint .. all tho most compare Karavan & shorelander as being a benz or BMW .. where all the others would be a Toyota or Honda .. and remember .. never put a brand new ski on a used trailer .. worst decision ever .. buy a Bentley or a Rolls Royce aka triton .. protect ur ski .. if the trailers in these pics snap while driving down the road .. what will protect the ski hull from falling on the blacktop at 55mph ?? Please don't answer I already know .. 10 grand plus ski on a 450 dollar even a 1000 dollar trailer?? I see it everyday .. u better have good insurance on both .. good luck

+1
    Love my i-catch...but that $650 axle stung a bit when I found out I couldn't service the bearings. Seems like some where on here someone figured out how to service it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ybnvs2 View Post
    Tires on a trailer rated C or D should be changed every 1000 miles not 5 years .. Do some actual research b4 making a hasty and foolish decision ..
    Here's a little actual research:

3-5 years recommended - no mention of mileage.

http://westlandcamping.com/how-long-...er-tires-last/

https://yourfulltimervliving.com/rv-...our-rv-trailer

https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvis...er-Tire-Basics

http://www.ehow.com/facts_6942973_lo...res-last_.html

http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-h...-a-tire-guide/

http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...ires-9575.html

And the trailers in this post are not painted steel, but galvanized. I don't see any rust on pro1200's 7 year old, salt water used trailer.

The only thing that would prevent me from buying the trailer the OP asked about is the hubs.
    Last edited by Xspook; 03-16-2017 at 06:52 AM.

+1
    Great, now you guys have me thinking I need a new trailer...

Xspook .. all ur little research is based on people .. that don't make tires .. they may sell tires .. they may write articles .. about tires .. but none of them .. manufacture tires .. do a little more research .. according to all manufacturers that make a class C and or D tire .. says to replace them in 1000 or 2000miles .. not 10k not 2001 .. an E rated tire is not the same .. that tire will last 3500 max .. it's not a balanced tire so it will never exceed too many miles .. instead of doing research perhaps u should consider consulting the paperwork/manual that came with the trailer and understand what the "tire manufacturer" suggests .. not some1 who wrote an article that clearly did the same research as u .. as for a steel trailer ?? These trailers are aluminum not steel .. no1 galvanizes steel let alone paints it .. lol smh .. and these are not painted bcuz clearly they are older models .. look at every shorelander and karavan from '15 on .. they paint all but their cheesiest bottom of the line model which they likely don't even have on the lot .. otherwise that's the only trailer they have on the lot .. happy trailering

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information