Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Cruise ship nearly runs over PWC riders

+1

+1
    Update: Sheriff states they were riding in an approved area, but one girl fell off and when she tried to re board, the PWC flipped. The wind then pushed them into the channel.

http://www.wesh.com/article/brevard-...e-ship/9124095

I've ridden that area once and was quite surprised how close I could get to the cruise ships while they were moored.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    the two won't be speaking after they see the news clip. The first gal totally ignored her ex bff after she was pulled to safety herslf. Kudos to the sheriff for hauling her fat ass into the boat and then beeining to the helf literally in the nick of time.

remember folks, if you cannot get on a ski yourself in water you cannot stand in, better start doing alot more pushups

and if you share the water with killer big boats, its a good idea to have a flare gun in your kit. could have been a lifesaver because only the very sharpest of lookouts would spot an upside down ski when trying to deal with a strong wind and a narrow channel and not a whole lot of forward speed.

I'd use on of the thrusters to push them out of the way. no view but I assume less then ten feet between the RIB and the hull of the liner.

and our Patriot hero of the day....

Deputy Taner Primmer

who managed to pull the two riders from the water moments before this turned into a tragic story

Surprisingly the area they were in was not restricted, but no doubt there will be some new signs warning about loitering in the area.

Like those gals that got washed away when they were frolicking in a spillway which release water on a schedule, complete with five minute warning.

Maybe that's what they need at that outlet..some light to warn of a ship your too freaking drunk to see.

Meanwhile..where's the ski that got run over?
    Were they charged?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    remember folks, if you cannot get on a ski yourself in water you cannot stand in, better start doing alot more pushups
    A few years back when I had my SS Xi's, my 6'3", 230 lb. brother fell off and couldn't re-board.

I was like "really dude"??? You're F'ing 38 years old and can't get back on a ski?

I hopped off mine, showed him how to pull himself up, but he just didn't have the upper body strength and/or coordination to keep the ski from tipping.

I had to tow the ski and him hanging on to said ski to shallow water. Surely looked like a couple of doofuses out there that day.

I'm wondering if the Spark in the video had a re-boarding step?

+1
    that's part of my "do you really want to buy a ski" pitch when somebody who in my opinion has no business being on a jetski comes sniffing around to buy one. I convince them to go home, do twenty pushups a day for a week then come back the following weekend and rent one, but only if they can show the rental co that they can get on in deep water after a little instruction.

Luckily mot of the getoffs for newbies around here are within spitting distance of the dock ( those slow turns at minimal throttle the cause). Not too many recoveries during the season, except for beachings where the wear ring is destroyed, usually in a place I'd never go to when the lake is high.

people drop hundreds because they expect the parks department to mark every single shallow spot ( which varies when the start irrigating downstream and the water drops fast) but they will not drop $10 on a chart/ map and spend 2 minutes of their precious hour rental deciding on a plan. They just hit the throttle and try not to run into anything they can see.

who would plan to play chicken with a cruise ship?

+1

Pushups or strength training is not going to help you if you approach reboarding from the sides
    In this case with a large sheriff boat and the girl being exhausted the only way was to drag her up onboard on the side but on a smaller craft whether it's a PWC , Kayak,Row Boat any vessel less than 12 feet the only way or easiest way to get back on or in the vessel is from the Stern ( back) .Even with weak strength or just plain exhausted you'll have more chance of climbing back on and less chance of rocking the boat .. That's why skis have steps and grab bars on the back those plastic paddle boards and Kayak don't ..

NMPeter I know you know your stuff about skis very well it just sounds like a strength thing which it is not, it's keeping a small craft stable and getting leverage to climb back on...��

+1

Meanwhile..where's the ski that got run over?
    Were they charged?

don't know the status of the ski, but there will be no charges.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdave56 View Post
    Pushups or strength training is not going to help you if you approach reboarding from the sides
    In this case with a large sheriff boat and the girl being exhausted the only way was to drag her up onboard on the side but on a smaller craft whether it's a PWC , Kayak,Row Boat any vessel less than 12 feet the only way or easiest way to get back on or in the vessel is from the Stern ( back) .Even with weak strength or just plain exhausted you'll have more chance of climbing back on and less chance of rocking the boat .. That's why skis have steps and grab bars on the back those plastic paddle boards and Kayak don't ..

NMPeter I know you know your stuff about skis very well it just sounds like a strength thing which it is not, it's keeping a small craft stable and getting leverage to climb back on...��

well, perhaps on smaller skis coordination is far more important, but if you cannot do a single

pullup, there isn't a chance in hell you'll get back on a ski without a boarding step.

throw in some mild hypothermia from being panicked and in the water and you see why the second gal couldn't even help herself into the sheriffs boat.

pushups are not a bad thing to suggest to new jetski folks..you must have _some_ upper body strength.

I'll embarrass myself here and tell you that once I flipped a 587 GTX after a few hours on the lake and for the life of me I could not get back on it without rolling it over. I had to end up swimming with it back to shallow water, so I'll give overall coordination a +1 for the task of getting back aboard.

10. +1 by:

+1
    I here ya brother .. It's that some people will panick and try to board from the sides it's a huge mistake ,they have to know to swim to the rear of the ski that's their best shot regardless of strength ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information