Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2003 msx 140

2003 msx 140

Found this unit for sale...seller said mechanic told him it would cost too much to fix and parts are not available anymore...so after looking at the pictures (posted) and reading up on the forum, I think there is/was a bearing lubrication issue? Caused the teeth to come off the flywheel, which tore up the stator, and I'm assuming metal shavings probably passed through the piston...? I'm still VERY green behind the ears but willing to try and take it on. Any thoughts of what caused this? Haven't made an offer but what is reasonable? Thx in advance for the help.

Jase
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40737.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	408801   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40735.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	408802   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40733.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	408803   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20170312-150030.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	232.7 KB 
ID:	408804  

+1
    The MSX 140 is a great ski... but is a two-year-only wonder ('03-'04) and certain 140-only parts are expensive. The stator isn't that bad to replace... but the 12-magnet flywheels are hard to find (think that was a 140 only part)... although the more common Ficht-only (direct fuel injected... not carbed) 6 magnet flywheels will work I'm pretty sure.

There is no lubrication in the stator/flywheel/starter/bendix housing. So in order to break off teeth on the flywheel... either the engine seized and was attempted to be cranked again. Or the starter was repeated engaged on a running engine. Or seized bendix? Hard to guess.

What you definitely would want to ensure before buying is that the engine turns over freely. Pull all three spark plugs out. You should be able to spin the engine (crankshaft) over by grabbing the rear PTO coupler and spinning (assuming jetpump isn't seized). If the engine will not freely spin over... then there is likely piston/cylinder... or worse crankshaft issues. A rebuilt crankshaft is $475... plus a full gasket set on top. If the engine let a rod go and banged a hole in the cases... that is a LOT more money (happened to me). The MSX 140 engine cases are rare and very expensive.

So check it over VERY well. If the engine isn't trashed... I'd consider that ski for $500-800 bucks (no trailer). But plan to drop $1500-ish in it to get it running tip-top again.

Cheers!

+1
    In addition to the sage advice from Rip, I'd insist that the cylinder heads be removed for inspection, since you can't check compression at this point.

And, the flywheels are interchangeable from the "regular" DI machines and the 140's. But hurry up and buy one if you need one, they go for an arm and a leg at peak season!

So I offered $400 with trailer...he agreed. He further stated that his mechanic told him that the stator was good but didn't know why teeth were getting knocked off the flywheel...so could this be the bendix?

Quote Originally Posted by HiPeRcO View Post
    In addition to the sage advice from Rip, I'd insist that the cylinder heads be removed for inspection, since you can't check compression at this point.

Are the cylinder heads easy to remove? Still new to this. Thanks for the solid info! Much appreciated
    Last edited by K447; 03-13-2017 at 09:49 PM.

+1
    $400 with trailer? Sweet deal. Heck, trailer is worth that much around my parts.

Yes, it's possible a seized bendix broke a flywheel tooth... but since the flywheel and stator are already removed in the picture... so would the bendix be... and I would think a seized one would be easy to identify. I'd be more worried about a seized engine.

First thing to do once you have the ski in the shop... is pull the jet pump. The 4 long bolts on each corner (plus reverse linkage, steering linkage, and two siphon hoses). Then pull the whole pump rearward (can be really stuck on there). Once pump is off... try turning over engine (with spark plugs out). Should spin over by hand from PTO(rear) coupler.

Heads come off easy. Remove the water-rail... that bolts to top of all 3 cylinders. Then carefully unbolt the injectors (leave fuel lines hooked up) and wrap them in a rag and lay them forward out of the way. Now you can easily access the cylinder heads. Unbolt them and have a look at the piston tops.

What you see/find this far... will determine next steps.

Cheers!

7. +1 by:

+1
    Wrap the injectors with masking tape so the nozzles do not fall out. I don't know if the nozzles are unique enough to impact the coefficient measurements, but no since taking chances when a few wraps of masking tape will prevent them from falling out and being interchanged or worse yet--lost. I slide them into a double a tripled plastic grocery bag and then put a tie wrap around the bag opening/fuel lines to keep them clean.

Got it, THX! I'll post update when I get to that point.

+1
    Congrats on the score, a very good price indeed. Now, you will begin your Polaris DI engine training, young grasshopper

11. +1 by:

+1
    The suspense is killing me... I wan't to know what the insides look like!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information