Question 2002 Polaris freedom 700 oil change how to

Hey guys I'm new to the pwc world and machines just would like to know how to go about in changing the engine oil,help and maybe some pics would be appreciated thks.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Click here, start reading up on your machine. Lots of good info to be found there.

These are 2-stroke engines, very different from a car engine. There is no liquid oil inside the engine to 'change'.

There is an oil tank and oil pump system. The pump slowly pumps oil into the engine air intake. That oil swirls around inside the crankcase with the gasoline mist from the carburetors. Eventually the oily mist flows through the combustion chamber where it gets burned with the gasoline.

The oil pump effectively replaces the oil lost to combustion as the engine runs. When the engine is shut down there is an oily film inside the engine. This is what lubricates the bearings and cylinder walls inside the engine. There may be a tiny amount of liquid oil puddled in the bottom of the engine, but this is minimal and gets picked up and swirled around again the next time the engine is operated.

The oil is a special 2-stroke oil that is designed to burn with the gasoline after lubricating the engine internally. Use a good quality 2-stroke designated oil. Never use oil designed for a car or truck engine.

so there is a separate oil reservoir that u have to check and fill to lubricate the engine is that correct

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by paulino966 View Post
    so there is a separate oil reservoir that u have to check and fill to lubricate the engine is that correct
    Yes.

Be sure to click the provided link.

thanks a lot for the info

+1
    If the ski is new to you... the previous owner may have eliminated the oil injection system. A lot of 2-stroke folks feel safer to remove the oil injection system and PREMIX 2-stroke oil into their gas.

If this was done to your ski... I really hope the previous owner told you that it was PREMIX-only now. They might have even removed the oil tank and pump and associated stuff. If this is the case... you MUST always premix 2-stroke oil into ALL gas that you put into the fuel tank. The commonly recommended gas-to-oil mix ratio is 40:1.

I prefer the oil injection system. The pumps are reliable and work well at burning less oil. You just have to inspect the oil hoses every so often (or immediately if new to you) to ensure they are pliable and not getting hard. Any cracks or leaks or split ends will compromise the oil injection system. This can/will lead to an engine failure.

Cheers!

+1
    There is a link to a web page where you can download the Owner's Manual

You'll find a listing and procedures of the preventative maintenance you should be doing.

There is an inline filter in the hose that connects the oil tank to the engine. Polaris recommended they be changed annually. As the season is so short in MN, I change mine at about 10 years (when I had the oil tank out for other maintenance).

I'm pretty careful about keeping the area around the fill neck, funnels, spouts, etc clean and free from contaminants.

When I acquire a used machine, I always change the oil filter and I usually have the tank to correct none area where they leak, like around the vent elbow and the gauge sending unit.
    Last edited by K447; 03-18-2017 at 11:23 PM.

I was talking about the oil I guess for the gears and its got a Allen key bolt that u remove just wanted to know what oil should I use not the 2 cycle pre mix oil

+1
    There is no OTHER oil. If you are talking about the plug at the magneto/fuel tank end, that is an inspection hole for setting the ignition timing. That housing should be DRY inside as there are electrical components inside.

Thread Information