Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Brand Spanking New 300 Limited - Salt water tips?

Guys,
    I will get delivery in 2 weeks. Can you tell me things I should do prior to putting her in the (Salt) water for the first time. She will spend the summer on a floating dock in the bay in South Jersey.

I am handy but not knowledgeable about PWC maintenance.
    Last edited by K447; 03-10-2017 at 11:53 AM. Reason: title clarity

+1
    Dont do it, salt kills !!!! Buy gallons of Salt Away, make sure you have fresh water to be able to flush the ski after use and grab a few bottles of Hot Sauce ( water spot remover/wax ). Dont forget a good cover!!

+1
    I live at the bay, and thats not an option, but ty..
    I was more questioning specific things I should look for to tighen hoses, ect..
    As well as things like... Should I spray the engine and compartment with an anti Corrosive spray prior to the first use ?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_video View Post
    I live at the bay, and thats not an option, but ty..
    I was more questioning specific things I should look for to tighen hoses, ect..
    As well as things like... Should I spray the engine and compartment with an anti Corrosive spray prior to the first use ?
    Fluid Film after each and every ride. Also hit the pump area too. You should still be flushing it after every ride.

NJ -> MD Jet ski trip fuel mileage champ carguy89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rangermtb5 View Post
    Fluid Film after each and every ride. Also hit the pump area too. You should still be flushing it after every ride.
    This.You'llbefine.

+1
    I like that stuff but if your constantly washing inside it makes a mess. Best thing to do is just rinse the inside with salt away and/or fresh water and then suck it out with a vacuum and get it dry. I pretty much stopped spraying stuff in my hull on a regular basis and just keep it very clean/dry. I'll hit all the shiny stuff every once and a while. Once the seat is closed and the cover is on, it's fairly sealed up. Anything oily seams to get under the crappy paint and make it chip off. My stuff sits in salt air on my lift and it looks like new. I've actually moved to the cheapest silicone spray I can find like at big lots for the outside stuff and its been working great. It all washes off when it's in the water...so no sense on spending a bunch of money on spray.

I have to say I get very little if any water in my skis unless it goes over the top of the ski. On the PX water will squeeze through the seat eventually and leak on the engine...which is super annoying. The carbon seal seems to be jam up jelly tight on these newer skis...at least on mine it is.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Fluid Film after each and every ride. ...
    Before the very first ride would be good too.

Fluid Film works well but does not become 'dry' after application, it remains greasy. Really protects the metal surfaces underneath but if you power hose it will get messy. Fluid Film is not a petroleum grease, it is based on lanolin (sheep wool oil).

There are lots of other protective sprays that different people use and like. Some dry completely after application. Some products intended for metal protection may not be long term compatible with rubber hoses and soft plastics (wire insulation).

WD-40 is not very useful as a protectant, in my opinion.

8. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Before the very first ride would be good too.

Fluid Film works well but does not become 'dry' after application, it remains greasy. Really protects the metal surfaces underneath but if you power hose it will get messy. Fluid Film is not a grease, it is based on lanolin (sheep wool oil).

There are lots of other protective sprays that different people use and like. Some dry completely after application. Some products intended for metal protection may not be long term compatible with rubber hoses and soft plastics (wire insulation).

WD-40 is not very useful as a protectant, in my opinion.
    Funny I used use WD-40 like crazy back on all my skis in the 90's because I could buy it by the galloon and put it in a spray bottle. I never had any issue with rubber or paint pealing or anything else...but yah it would wash off....but they all do. Good thing I know better now

I'm looking for something made with baby mink oil now...I hear that's the best

+1
    Other than already posted, check every hose clamp, bolt, nut, etc. Read your Owners Manual several times. Know how to raise the iBr gate, for pump inspections on & off water. Maintain it and you be fine. Ignore it and it will ruin all your fun!

11. +1 by:

+1
    Ive been riding my skis in the salt for a few years. After each ride I make sure to flush, spray everything down with fluid film, and clean the ski top to bottom. No problems so far.

I plan on ceramic coating both my skis before this season in hopes to make the cleanup process a little easier and preserve the finish.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information