+1

camshaft tool for Yam 1.8L? Just did retainers...realized I'm not home, no tools.

I need a camshaft wrench...is there anywhere that sells them locally? Does Advance Auto still rent tools? would that even work with a 1.8L yamaha? Also...any best practices to observe/perform while resetting the timing chain onto the cams? I just did the valve retainers. Took under an hour for all 16 while using my Riva tool.

+1
    also...

i recorded a how-to video on the retainer installation with the Riva valve tool. I will be piecing it together to hopefully help some along with their modifications.

3. +1 by:

How did this turn out? I bought the retainers and manual and about to tackle this upgrade and hoping to see what you learned. Did you find an alternative cam wrench? Any advice?

+1
    the retainer install went smoothly. the cam install went catastrophic. It's at Jim's performance now being done by a professional.

+1
    waiting on video for retainers since I prob gonna do this myself....

+1
    Drive to jims. Its worth. The timing for someone who hasnt done it before is a little difficult and honestly he knows far more than myself or you. It will save you time...money and a headache.

My retainer upgrade went OK. A little nerve racking but I got the hang of it. Didn't need the gear removal tool since the cams come out easy enough. Put it together and it was 1 tooth off on both cams. Removed the tensioner again and moved them the 1 tooth and got it timed the second time. Manual was helpful but confusing since it goes into using gauges and checking tolerances. Not sure why someone doesn't do a better right up. I didn't buy Rivas expensive tool. Just bought the cheaper eBay dual overhead tool for $50. Need Dial indicator with a magnetic base and a big magnet to pull the buckets and a smaller magnet to get at the small locking clips while you have it pressed down. A buddy would have helped my 16 year old was worthless. Attention span of a nat What went wrong with the new Cams? Might take on the R&D cam timing some time. Need to get this stage 2 dialed in first.

Thread Information