Question Purchasing Question-Post#2

Hey Group,
    I'm taking your advice from my previous post and dismissing purchasing a 2003 due to SC-related issues. I'm looking at an 08 Wake 215 with extremely low hours (25 or so). I've looked at KBB and NADA as a reference and found the below:
    KBB retail shows $6,070.
    KBB trade-in shows $4,185.
    NADA low retail is $4,530 with average retail at $5,110.

This Sea Doo is literally brand new in flawless condition. Comes with the trailer in the deal which is a nice Triton single place with toolbox on the tongue, mag wheels, and I can't tell if torsion axles or not based on pictures so far.

What's a fair price for the full combo? My leverage is that it is still a USED PWC that is 9 years old. The owner says, "but it's in as new condition".

I was thinking $7k with the trailer but he's considerably higher than that. I see on PWC Trader that there are a few out there around $7k-$7.5k without trailer. Saw a 2011 Wake 155 for $5k with only 40 hours on it.

Thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00707_ejETnkfQ7ag_1200x900.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	137.0 KB 
ID:	408695  

Anyone know how to delete an attached picture? I would like to remove the attachment due to showing the registration numbers.

+1
    Personally Ski's do depreciate in value like cars. Im not saying the ski is not in great condition. But people are attached to their Ski's for obvious reasons. But bottom line is some are just asking far to much money.

Like you say it's still 9yrs old. You will know yourself you will see the same ski's on eBay month after month because the prices are sky high.

I've just bought a 2013 Yamaha FX SHO cruiser for £8000. I'd keep shopping around

Thanks Scott. I agree, people get attached to their stuff, but I just really want to know what this thing is "worth". As the old saying goes, It's worth as much as someone is willing to pay. What's the value? Help me out here guys. This is my first ski!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1972 View Post
    Thanks Scott. I agree, people get attached to their stuff, but I just really want to know what this thing is "worth". As the old saying goes, It's worth as much as someone is willing to pay. What's the value? Help me out here guys. This is my first ski!
    To be honest it's hard to say. I think it really is a hard market to judge. When I have sold ski's in the past I've always priced at what they are worth and shift them fast rather than saying "it's had hundreds spent on it". As a begging advert.

Only advice I'd say is take your time don't rush into it. I was like you first ski mad keen to buy. Remember plenty out there.

+1
    Your offer of $7000 is more than fair; as you are paying retail prices at that point. The trailer is also very good with high end options like the SS storage box and upgraded wheels; so that adds to the value of the overall package.

25 hours on a 2008 would actually give me a little concern. Ski's don't like to sit around not being ridden.

I'd bet it has the original plugs and oil in it...also, bet the tires on the trailer are original. Those will need to be replaced, as they, too have just been sitting not used. Trailer tires need to be replaced every 3-5 years regardless of use.

Good call Xspook! I know that it's been winterized every year (we live where it snows in WI--lucky FL peeps). I would agree that an oil change and plug change would be in order to start. Not sure about the trailer tires but they are cheap enough it's fair to replace in the interest of PREVENTATIVE maintenance.

The concern about so few hours and not being ridden....only one way to know for sure, that is to test drive it and drive the snot out of it for a while right (but only after plugs and oil).

+1
    Just noticed that's a Triton Elite - I understand that to be the highest quality trailer they make. All SS hardware, upgraded winch, etc.

+1
    Supercharger will need a rebuild unless the owner has proof of having it done during the last two years.

+1
    My perspective is that PWCs don't depreciate at all like cars as someone mentioned previously mentioned and I also think that the NADA and KBB guides are virtually useless. Why? Well because condition of the boat or PWC impacts the value a lot more than it does with a car. Secondly, ever wonder where KBB gets their data? From registration information. Ever met a person who didn't lie about the reported sold price so they can pay less taxes? The data is kind of useless.

the best way you will have to determine the value is from your own shopping experience. Look at what's out there, what people are asking and how long on the market. Good stuff goes fast when it's priced right.

i just sold a 2012 pontoon boat. Excellent condition. Sold it for more than I paid for it when it was new. Why? The market was shitty in 2012 and is super strong today. The KBB wasn't even in the correct universe.

Thread Information