Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Recording Speed Runs

What are most of you using these days? New Hero 5 (Go Pro) with handlebar mounts?

Seeing lots of cool rear facing footage, curious how that's mounted. I need to pick up a high res recorder and thought I'd see what y'all are using.

Sort of off topic, but what is the software platform that Riva and some others are using that shows the GPS speed at bottom of the videos along with lateral movements (G-force I assume that this)??

Thanks.....I'm getting close to testing first PX, then on to starting second one.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ABBOTT View Post
    What are most of you using these days? New Hero 5 (Go Pro) with handlebar mounts?

Seeing lots of cool rear facing footage, curious how that's mounted. I need to pick up a high res recorder and thought I'd see what y'all are using.

Sort of off topic, but what is the software platform that Riva and some others are using that shows the GPS speed at bottom of the videos along with lateral movements (G-force I assume that this)??

Thanks.....I'm getting close to testing first PX, then on to starting second one.
    I am using a couple of GoPro's and the latest GoPro Hero5. This new model finally has GPS built-in and if you use the GoPro software "Quik", it allows you to select several overlays (look at pic attachment). Be warned, the Quik software isn't perfect and video pre-view is a little jerky, but works.

The Garmin VIRB series is also good and obviously has GPS on screen.

The other option is to use Garmin GLO (its a stand-alone GPS only device). Its intended to be used with 3rd party software to create the overlay, a popular software is the RaceChrono Pro (android or ios). Potentially, this setup could be the slickest option if you can tie into the CAN port for RPM overlays. This will not be for beginners!

The VBOX is a quality piece but only data logs and need special software to create an overlay in videos (read: synchronize).

As for the rear facing shot, the action cameras fit perfectly just below the rear tow hook. Just use the included sticky mount.

NOTE: The GoPro doesn't show MPH 10ths
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gopro-gps.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	408662  
    Last edited by Sanfish; 03-08-2017 at 10:02 PM. Reason: added info about 10ths

+1
    Awesome. You da man. Appreciate it.

GPS has about a 1 sec delay. I found the stock Seadoo GPS was very consistent as logged by either VTec or Motec.

http://www.nbs-stl.com/motec/0%20to%...04%20Motec.png

Andy

5. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by whittlebeast View Post
    GPS has about a 1 sec delay.
    Just know that all the GPS devices I mentioned above are at least 10Hz (the VBOX is 20Hz), not 1Hz.

+1
    GPS has about a 1 sec delay. I found the stock Seadoo GPS was very consistent as logged by either VTec or Motec.

http://www.nbs-stl.com/motec/0%20to%...04%20Motec.png

Andy
    Where you been hiding!? Miss reading your post, even if i only understand 1/2 and need 1/2 a day to research the rest!!

Even if they are 20 hz, the output (signal at the logger) is about 1 sec behind the input (things like a sudden throttle lift or throttle stab). I have a Candoo pro setup in my race car and also 3 axis accelerometers all logged at 100 hz on the MS3 Pro.

Andy
    Last edited by whittlebeast; 03-09-2017 at 08:23 AM.

+1
    Even if they are 20 hz, the output (signal at the logger) is about 1 sec behind the input (things like a sudden throttle lift or throttle stab).
    This is the thing, for video overlays it doesn't matter since both the metadata recorded (gps) is separate from video data. Products like RaceChrono (and many others), you can SYNC the data to video...in the case of RaceChrono, up/down by 50ms at a time. It can be as accurate as the light being emitted off the LCD screen and hitting the back of your optic nerve - have fun calculating the TTL ratio on that

Here is an example: (you can skip to 1:50 if needed)

Keep in mind, the OP just wants to show speed on videos and not trying to re-invent the world. And when I watch the GPS/speed overlay on my GoPro5 videos, its not off by 1 second. Visually it looks in perfect sync and bottom line, for this purpose, its good for what OP needs.

If you have a better solution for overlaying speed on videos (on PWC), feel free to bring it up. Respectfully: Talking about "3 axis accelerometers" and stand-alone ECU's like "MS3 Pro" means nothing in this discussion.

+1
    Agreed Sanfish, lol. I don't want to over complicate anything. An accurate speed in the bottom of a clip is good enough for me. It can be a second off, doesn't matter to me.

This is all cool stuff and very educational but at the end of the day, I want to drink beer, cruise around, sink the cans, then do some occasional speed runs documented. I think I'll go with the hero 5 with overlay. I want to ride more than I would play scientist behind a PC.

This is good stuff and much appreciated. Most of you have forgotten more than I'll ever know about some of these capabilities.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information