Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    can you give a top five things you hate about wrenching the 1.8 engine in comparison?

my experience is strictly limited to tune ups on that model.

weighing the vx conversion issues now.

+1
    Sorry Pete, somehow never saw this. I wouldn't say there is a top 5. In fact, the only thing I dislike about the 1.8 is just the massive overall size. I mean, that thing is HUGE when placed next to an MR1.

+1
    Update....we have now accrued exactly 5 hours on the engine. #2 is the one that was all boogered. It started out at 120psi on compression and is now up to 135psi. I bought a good used piston and rings for that cylinder. My best guess is possibly some sticking or maybe even loss of tension on that one from some knothead overheating the engine. I should have just bought all new rings but I didn't.....boo-hoo. I put maybe 5cc of oil in the cylinder and compression came up to 190psi so I know it's in the rings. Compression right now is 190/135/180/190.
    It runs great all around but top speed is not there. At 3/4 throttle the power is there but nothing really happens after that. Speed is only 50-52 and full RPM's are only 9500. Also after adjusting the throttle stop while viewing tps voltage, it still won't idle on it's own in the water. All four spark plugs look exactly the same and appear rich. The porcelain is dark tan, the grounding strap is dark brown, and the rim of the threads is black and sooty. This is running with home made free flow exhaust and NO air filter. Ribbons remain in place and are clean.
    In conclusion, I'm running too rich to turn full rpm's because of a fuel, or sensor issue....ORrrr, maybe we have the wrong impeller......it does appear fairly new.

Fingers crossed the compression in #2 continues to rise or I might have to address that this winter.

Edit: Just went out with a mirror and confirmed 6B600 on impeller. Likely an SBT reman. I better pull it to check and adjust pitch. Also just now realized the trim cables are hooked up backwards! So I guess my speed runs were with full trim down on the nose, lol!
    Last edited by Myself; 09-16-2019 at 07:22 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information