Yamaha FZR SVHO Engine Difficulty Making Maximum RPM

I'm one of the unfortunate SVHO owners who has had the dreaded timing belt failure...my entire engine was destroyed. Yamaha reluctantly replaced my engine with the updated model from 2016, but this engine does not seem to be making full power. At first they diagnosed the issue as a loose and defective super charger intake boot issue, but even after replacing that boot, my engine is very reluctant to go above 7400 RPM and 64mph speed. Seems like I used to get 69 mph and around 7800-7900 maximum rpm, but my ski has been down for so long I'm not sure if I remember correctly., The local dealer is saying 7400 and 64mph is what the factory says is normal...feels way less powerful. It also seems like the rams used to climb much faster....this thing used to jump out of the water. I'd like to hear what others are getting for a stock soho for top rpm and speed?

+1
    How long was the ski out of action? Perhaps the fuel is off...try draining it and replacing with fresh 93..

+1
    Was the new motor compete from factory or did the dealer have to reinstall the cams

sure is strange that almost all failures r fz not fx.... mine runs better than new 7700 rpm- up to 72 then regulated to 67/68/69

check your prop and wear ring clearance if its been sitting up

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by speak2joe View Post
    my engine is very reluctant to go above 7400 RPM and 64mph speed...The local dealer is saying 7400 and 64mph is what the factory says is normal...It also seems like the rams used to climb much faster....this thing used to jump out of the water.
    That dealer is shanking you. Sounds like he's ignoring your loss of acceleration. Tell him you want the original performance or you'll have to take it to another dealer.

+1
    Post back when they figure out the issue, my 2014 FZR is doing the exact same thing. 7400 RPM and 64 mph, going to check all the hose clamps and wear ring tomorrow.

+1
    Haven't had time to water test yet, but the hose underneath the intake manifold/throttle body had a clamp that was not very tight. I suspect this was the cause of mine, I would check all your clamps first.

Also they could have made a mistake and mistimed you engine as I did to mine and had the same problem

Thread Information