Bearing stiffness

Ok....so yesterday i finally managed to get the impeller off my seadoo GTX 185....next question.... How stiff should the bearing be on which the shaft rotates? I assume it shouldn't be free spinning which would indicate too much slop and therefore a knackered bearing - however if i grip the thread of the shaft (about 12mm at a guess), i can turn it but its fairly stiff. Is this correct?

Not that it should make any difference i guess, but i have just had the pump in the freezer in order to get the wear ring out.

they dont usually free spin, and should be silent when you do turn it, seal will restrict its free spin too.

yes that makes sense.....so not free spin I get, but how stiff should it be? It takes a reasonable amount of force in my case when trying to turn the ~12mm shaft.
    When it had the impeller on, it was relatively easy to turn because you are turning further away from the center point - i.e. turning using the blades of the impeller.....but with that removed and just trying to turn the bare shaft, it is difficult by hand so I can't tell if that's normal or not...

+1
    The pump is suppose to be rebuilt at 100 hrs. May not b a bad idea to do it now.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by iceno9 View Post
    yes that makes sense.....so not free spin I get, but how stiff should it be? It takes a reasonable amount of force in my case when trying to turn the ~12mm shaft.
    When it had the impeller on, it was relatively easy to turn because you are turning further away from the center point - i.e. turning using the blades of the impeller.....but with that removed and just trying to turn the bare shaft, it is difficult by hand so I can't tell if that's normal or not...
    That's normal. I would think it would be a bit stiffer if you just took it out the freezer.

I have heard that before - but I think the intent is to check it more than anything, i.e. to ensure seals are good and no water has got in. That would make sense.....but to press all the bearing out and replace to me seems a little pointless just coz you hit 100 hours of use.

I am actually thinking if I clean out all the grease and use plenty of WD40 to clean it out, it might free it up a little. Then re-pack with new grease. Opinions on that?

Thread Information