05 RXT Valve Swap Underway

Thanks to this forum, I learned of the failure prone "72" stamped exhaust valves.
    I had been putting it off and the weather was 80 degrees here in SC yesterday so I jumped on it.
    Just wanting to get ready for hopefully a summer of worry free riding. Next thing will be to send the SC to Jerry.
    The washers were supposedly done by previous owner but I want a full rebuild for peace of mind to go along with the new SuperTech valves. I also added an auto/man bilge pump. Ski only has 56hrs but was 50% salt 50% fresh. SuperTech valves and Viton seals completed. All new upgraded stretch bolts, OEM gaskets, etc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pistons.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	407911   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Head valves out.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	407912   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Viton Valve Seals In.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	407913   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SuperTech Valves In.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	407914  

+1
    Clean those pistons and clean that head very nice though I remember doing that it sucked but paid off great

+1
    looks good, that motor should be bullit proof when u get done.

Following the shop manual to the T with torqueing and angle gauge. So far so good.
    Trying not to miss any little things. Locked crank and cam in time and marked chain to gear with a sharpie, so hopefully I have it in perfect time. Need to run out tonight for antifreeze and hopefully hear it fire up and run tomorrow after work. I also took the dremel and did some pretty polishing work inside the "valve bowls" of the head.

Did you send out the head to get a three angle seat cleanup? Hard to see in the photos, but the exhaust seats look like they have been leaking, and are likely pitted and eroded. I would have them touched up with a 3 angle seat job, narrowed to the minimum spec.

Contact Slow 91 on this forum and send him the head and valves. You will be far better off, as if you put it back together like this you will be taking it apart next fall and sending it out as those valves will be leaking again in short order. He will also verify the valve protrusion is not excessive.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    Did you send out the head to get a three angle seat cleanup? Hard to see in the photos, but the exhaust seats look like they have been leaking, and are likely pitted and eroded. I would have them touched up with a 3 angle seat job, narrowed to the minimum spec.

Contact Slow 91 on this forum and send him the head and valves. You will be far better off, as if you put it back together like this you will be taking it apart next fall and sending it out as those valves will be leaking again in short order. He will also verify the valve protrusion is not excessive.
    Bad pics, the seats and area around them were smooth. I took my time and lapped them pretty good also. Knock on wood. You are absolutely correct though in that would be needed if not. I thought long and hard about sending the head out and having it decked and checked but then thought it has never had an issue, wasn't ran hot, no blown head gasket, so I went with it.. knock on wood

+1
    Check your exhaust guides, I bet they are loose.

I tried lapping my 109 hour head, it appeared pretty but did not create a seal. Not only where the guides loose but the seats were not centric to the guides.

Put the springs on and pour some fuel into the ports to see if they are leaking.

+1
    Seadoo changed their valve guides or materials, every newer head I see (around 2011 and up) have worn guides. It doesn't matter if they were GTi NA or Turbo engines, they are all worn. Your best bet is to get a good set of bronze guides and be done with it. Also, lapping in valves worked in the 70's but now with the hardness of the seats and valves lapping compound wont work that well. After every head I build, I vacuum test to make sure I have a perfect seal, anything less is just guessing. It would suck to put the head on and find out after all of that the valves leak.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2025.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	408004  

Good information, I am learning a lot from this place. I put the coolant in and fired it up at 3am and it runs great. Never know though, always a nervous wreck at first thinking it will come apart
    If I wanted to re-torque the head after a few short runs, what would the ft lb spec be, now that the angle gauge is out of play?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Good information, I am learning a lot from this place. I put the coolant in and fired it up at 3am and it runs great. Never know though, always a nervous wreck at first thinking it will come apart
    If I wanted to re-torque the head after a few short runs, what would the ft lb spec be, now that the angle gauge is out of play?
    I'm pretty sure you don't retorque stretch bolts.

Thread Information