Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    +1

New 2016 STX-15F

Hi guys, I just wanted to share my excitement about having just bought a brand new Kawasaki STX 15F. I've been looking at them in pwc ads and articles and it sounds like the perfect ski for me.This will be my 5th, but my first 4-stroke ski. I have 2 Polaris' (which I'm beginning to hate) and 2-'96 Kawi ZXI 900's which are really fun and fairly reliable . My wife and I went shopping around this past weekend and found a 2016 that was I'd say a great price. We went back Tues evening and bought it. We pick it up this Sat. morning. I haven't been this excited about a new ski in a while.
    I do want to ask you all what fuel you run in your's. I've heard both "just use regular 87 or 89 octane, another person said only use 91, or 93 octane. Wondering what your thoughts are? Also what oil brand/type you'd recommend for AZ climate?
    Anyway can't wait do the break in. I'm anticipating getting on the water within the next week or so.
    Thanks all your your input.~AZRiver Rat

BTW, this is not me. I'm an old man.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sct4r40z.cyq.jpg 
Views:	962 
Size:	150.9 KB 
ID:	407795  

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    When it's hot I'd run 91. You do not have to but That is what I do.
    I use Mobil 1 10/w40. Change it every 50 hours.
    Check pump bearings every 50.
    Grease cables etc. now & then.
    Great value and ski for the $$
    your really going to enjoy just riding vs. melting pistons.
    You can go from Jack Smith all the way to Parker Dam on a tank.
    When it starts beeping you have about 6 gallons give or take. Hit mode button it will shut up.
    This is good because you will know you have 30-50 miles to go. (wot vs. 35-40)
    Man your gonna love that ski.
    Have fun.

+1
    Rlovebk, Thanks for your input. I will take your advice re:fuel/ maintenance. Parker happens to be just where I ride. There and Lake Pleasant. See you on the river.

+1
    I use a good high performance automotive oil & get the best engine RPMS using a mixture of 87 & 89 fuel, using 91 actually reduced RPMs slightly, so no need to spend an extra dollar per gallon for this ski. These skis are as reliable as they get, enjoy it!

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    No need to run anything but 87...Run the oil that's recommended for it ... Kawasaki 4 stroke oil.... Check the pump bearings every so often...Last 15F I had I put over 600 hours on it before I sold it...

6. +1 by:

+1
    Congrats! If I ever get a 4-stroke, and I'm sure I will someday, it will likely be the 15F.

In the meantime, I'm searching for a wrecked one that I can rob the engine from for an Ultra 150 conversion.

+1
    (Read the owners manual) Run 87, use a good oil like Amsoil Marine 10w40 or the Kawasaki oil... Do what others have said above with the pump bearings and basic maintenance and just ride. It's an amazing ski, and you won't want to mess around with 2 smokes anymore after putting some hours on it.

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Because the frequency (not very often) of oil changes a synthetic is a superior oil but use what you like.
    The reason I recommend 91 in heat is river/Havasu gets up to 110+ on a regular basis and where the cooling water is pulled in at surface it is not cool. Higher octane will run a little cooler. Maybe not as critical on a 15 as on a 12F which runs at a higher compression.
    And if you run WOT a lot, towing, etc. in that heat every little bit helps extend engine life.

+1
    Hey Guys I just want to thank you all for your great advice. There's no substitute for experience.
    One other thing. I recently found a video on Youtube re: New Kawasaki ski's which stated that you should most definitely use an anti- seize lubricant on your spark plug threads. They said that upon trying change your spark plugs that it's very possible due to corrosion to snap one off if the anti-seizing agent is not used and that of course pulling the head to extract the plug was extremely expensive and could run up to $1000 or more.
    Have you guys had any problems with this and do any of you use the anti-seizing lube on your plugs?
    I figure an ounce of prevention and went and purchased some. Tomorrow I plan on pulling the plugs and applying it to avoid this. Your support and advice is much appreciated. Thanks
    I know you all know what a STX-15F looks like but this one is mine. Can't wait to get her wet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JetSki1.jpg 
Views:	1378 
Size:	126.2 KB 
ID:	407956   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jetski 2.jpg 
Views:	802 
Size:	118.8 KB 
ID:	407957  

11. +1 by:

+1
    I would like my ski to look that good! I always use anti-seize on spark plugs & have never had a problem, remember not to over tighten them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information