Newbie-Purchasing Question

Hello Group,
    Yes, my first post is a bunch of questions and YES, I've actually searched first. I've been reading on here for the past week or so and am looking for some guidance. This will be my first PWC purchase as I've always been anti-pwc and pro-boat (yes, I had a bad experience where a pwc punched a hole into my boat and sank it-so I'm entitled to my original opinion). PWC's are growing on me for their convenience and ease of use.

Specifically, I'm looking at a couple of used options and was hoping to hear the good, bad, and ugly.

1. 2003 Sea Doo GTX 4-tec Supercharged. 70 hours and includes an aluminum one-place trailer (Triton brand). I know that this is the first year of the SC version and have read that the SC is the issue here. Saw that I need to upgrade the SC to use different washers (is that what they are called?). What should I look for? What's a fair price? KBB retail=$3,620 and NADA=$2420-$2720.

2. 2005 Sea Doo RXP 3-seater. 130 hours and NO trailer. Any issues to be aware of? $3330-$3750 low/avg. retail on NADA and $4425 on KBB.

Looking for ANY help as well as what to look for at either machine--I know compression and leak-down are important--what else?

Thanks a bunch

+1
    Both machines have supercharger washer issues and if they would both require a charger rebuild if not done recently before you ever use it.
    2005 RXP is a 2 seater, RXT is the 3 seater.
    Fresh or salt water use?
    Do they have service records?
    Look at the oil, is it clean?
    Look at the coolant bottle, is it full? Any black stuff in it (if so blown head gasket)
    Also these models are know to break valves, if never changed then thats someting to consider.
    Your better off looking at 2007 (i think) and up as there are too many possible issues with early years if nothing has been done

3. +1 by:

+1
    In my opinion the best ski to buy is an 08 or newer since all the issue were resolved. To deal with all the big issues like supercharger washers, valves and flywheel bolts youll probably have more money into it then if you were to buy an 08. 2008 also has better oiling for the supercharger, better exhaust setup and better electronics.

+1
    I would also take a look at the Kawasaki 15f 160hp naturally aspirated super reliable, no issues other the regular maintenance. I have one with 267 hours after market ride plate and runs 64 all day long. Its a gas and go ride. Just a thought if its your first ski. I picked a second one up last spring with 64 hours for 3950 with an aluminum Triton trailer . Nice ski, but not getting much more performance with ride plate and a K&N Style filter 65mph with an empty tank. Its a warrior and a fun ride for sure. No regrets it low maintenance but as always more speed would be nice.

+1
    like these other guys had said Dave, check out the maintainence of both machines, a low hours machine that's never been looked after is usually worse than a high houred machine that has been well looked after, if your gunna go with these earlier RXP's that haven't had the s/c washers done, order them now through jerry!!

+1
    Just buy a 300

+1
    Honestly, I think you are asking for trouble here. As someone else stated, all of those early SC'd ski's had washer issues.....spend another 1k or so and get an 08 or newer. That's my advice.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1972 View Post
    Hello Group,
    Yes, my first post is a bunch of questions and YES, I've actually searched first. I've been reading on here for the past week or so and am looking for some guidance. This will be my first PWC purchase as I've always been anti-pwc and pro-boat (yes, I had a bad experience where a pwc punched a hole into my boat and sank it-so I'm entitled to my original opinion). PWC's are growing on me for their convenience and ease of use.

Specifically, I'm looking at a couple of used options and was hoping to hear the good, bad, and ugly.

1. 2003 Sea Doo GTX 4-tec Supercharged. 70 hours and includes an aluminum one-place trailer (Triton brand). I know that this is the first year of the SC version and have read that the SC is the issue here. Saw that I need to upgrade the SC to use different washers (is that what they are called?). What should I look for? What's a fair price? KBB retail=$3,620 and NADA=$2420-$2720.

2. 2005 Sea Doo RXP 3-seater. 130 hours and NO trailer. Any issues to be aware of? $3330-$3750 low/avg. retail on NADA and $4425 on KBB.

Looking for ANY help as well as what to look for at either machine--I know compression and leak-down are important--what else?

Thanks a bunch

Thanks for all of the quick replies. So basically everything made from 2003-2007 is junk compared to the 2008? Seems odd that BRP would make such unreliable machines. Agree that oil and coolant can tell a quick story and thanks for all of the responses. I will keep an eye out for 2008 or newer. Also, thanks for the Kawasaki shout out...I will keep it on my radar.

+1
    Remember you're talking to a bunch of performance guys.. do mod their skis and results in breaking the weak parts of the motors.. those valves have been known to last hundreds of hours as long of the ski was winterized right and wasn't beat to death in salt water.. only issues with superchargers were ceramic washers which caused them to fail early there are TONS of skis that started with those washers that were then fixed and are still beeing driven today. You also don't need the 08 oiler mod set up the stuff in the older set ups still work and is reliable. Had an 06 with 250 hours rxp buddy with a 05 with 220hours all stock and my brothers has 200 07 and they are not falling apart other breaking at all. If I were to get a ski that was going to remain stock I'd get a kawi 15f.

Thread Information