Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

98 seadoo gtx ltd air box installation help.

So I'm putting my ski back together (bought it with the fuel tanks, exhaust pipe, air box removed) and I can not for the life of me figure out how to put that air box back on the carbs. I can line up one side and then the other side sits higher on the second carb by about a half inch, thus not a direct fit. Is there some sort of offset or do I need to the try twist it to fit?

Ive been looking for a video or something to show but there doesn't seem to be such a thing.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    that's a 951 yes?..f'ing airbox

take a look to see where the finger slicing spring clip is sitting, you've got to set that up for the airbox, which in a normal world would flip down from a top hinge position and then you catch that spring clip to hold it all in place...then the bolts

parts diagram can be helpful to see what might not be in the wrong place.

on the 951 there is a couple of not so obvious bolts also, and more finger slicing brackets

you've been warned..multiple times

for others..it pays to take a a whole shitbox full of pictures before taking a 951 down for the first time

leaving the rubber deflectors off is a common boo-boo

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    that's a 951 yes?..f'ing airbox

take a look to see where the finger slicing spring clip is sitting, you've got to set that up for the airbox, which in a normal world would flip down from a top hinge position and then you catch that spring clip to hold it all in place...then the bolts

parts diagram can be helpful to see what might not be in the wrong place.

on the 951 there is a couple of not so obvious bolts also, and more finger slicing brackets

you've been warned..multiple times

for others..it pays to take a a whole shitbox full of pictures before taking a 951 down for the first time

leaving the rubber deflectors off is a common boo-boo

Unfortunatley I bought it from someone with it already removed, otherwise I'd have no issue haha. It just seems like a major pain in the ass. i might just re jet it and get aftermarket flame arrestors.

+1
    Near the bottom of the airbox, you will find a small tab with a hole and a rubber grommet. There is a tab with a pin at the rear of the starter. The pin goes in that hole. If you can get it slip onto the pin, it will fall into place on the carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by TLH101 View Post
    Near the bottom of the airbox, you will find a small tab with a hole and a rubber grommet. There is a tab with a pin at the rear of the starter. The pin goes in that hole. If you can get it slip onto the pin, it will fall into place on the carbs.
    Okay, I'll give that a shot. I was wondering what went through that tap on the bottom there. This is my first time working on a ski so its all new to me. It doesn't help that I bought it in piece's which was not the greatest Idea, but for $500 and its overall condition I couldnt pass it up.

+1
    That airbox is a royal PITA. Go to some proks and toss that think in the trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Pwgsx View Post
    That airbox is a royal PITA. Go to some proks and toss that think in the trash.
    damn straight it is haha! Thanks to the guy with the rat fink avatar it got it on. But I'm thinking I'm gonna go with the proK's considering how easy it is to rejet both of my carbs. The plastic box and the rubber things on it just fall apart anyway when I got it on, and it's still winter so I wanna play around with this thing more.

You our guys are a big help and it's appreciated.

+1
    I have been working on 951 skis since they have been out & have never cut my fingers working on the carbs & airbox.

I dont like open air filters on rec skis because they are a huge source for water injestion & dont say run outer wears cus they dont work.

+1
    Ditto what Water Worx said. I have been working on 951's for almost 20 yrs now and have no problems with the airbox. Slip it on the starter boss and lift it up, it will self align. Push down the clip and install the pin. Shouldn't take more then a minute to put it on.

+1
    I always get cut on the 951 from that damn metal head gasket sticking WAY out past the head. I usually smash the corners down to the cylinders.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information