Armchair discussion of why my 1200 TXi failed

I picked up a 2002 Virage a couple years back. Previous owner told me the motor was rebuilt by the local dealer no time to ride. The unit is super clean with only 50 hours on the clock but the motor suddenly stopped running two years ago so I drained it and parked it.

The day it failed we were running up and down the river in 70 degree weather. It ran great had fresh gas, good oil and no hiccups or anything. We did hit a sandbar at 40 miles per hour early in the ride. I shut it down pretty quick instead of letting it idle in the sand but it did sit for a couple seconds while I gathered my senses.

About five hours after I hit the Sand Bar we were headed back in for the day I made a hard right and the engine suddenly shut off and never started again. I took out the plugs everything looks okay but it didn't seem to turn over freely. At that point I winched it onto the trailer, drained it, dried it out and put it away.

Any thoughts or common issues? I have a feeling I'm putting a new crank and top end rebuild in it before summer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11417761_10153305994151049_3597891658363122625_o.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	407526

As you can see by the snow here in Saskatchewan I've got a few months probably June before it hits the water
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170220_081721.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	407527

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    I would start with removing the jet pump. If the pump bearings have seized or there is debris/rocks/sand jammed in the impeller the engine will not be able to rotate normally.

If the jet pump is not the problem, remove the driveshaft (if it did not come out with the jet pump). Then see if the engine will rotate by hand. With spark plugs out it should be possible to grab the driveshaft coupler behind the engine (remove the plastic cover first) and turn it.

If the engine turns by hand then you can try cranking it with the starter motor. Check cylinder compression (throttle held wide open, all spark plugs removed).

Check the small plastic mesh inlet screen (postage stamp sized) inside the jet pump exit nozzle. Not the steering nozzle, the fixed nozzle. The screen is on the right side of the taper, this is where the pressurized cooling water feeds from the jet pump forward into the hull interior and the engine. It may have sand or weed material blocking the mesh screen.

+1
    Note that the Ficht fuel injected models require the nose of the hull be tilted upwards more than 10 degrees to ensure the water fully drains from the engine water jackets. The carb engines will fully drain when level but the fuel injected 2-stroke engines require the tilt upwards. Once drained they can be stored level.

The main areas of concern for tilted water draining are the water jacket cover on front of the flywheel housing. Normally after riding the engine is revved a few times on the trailer to blow excess water out of the exhaust water box. If the waterbox was left full of water there is potential for freeze damage.

Thanks for the tips I will start there.

I've read about bracing the fuel regulator in other threads... Is there a list of reliability mods and this to check on this beast to ensure a trouble free summer?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bush View Post
    Thanks for the tips I will start there.

I've read about bracing the fuel regulator in other threads... Is there a list of reliability mods and this to check on this beast to ensure a trouble free summer?
    Click here, start reading

Thanks... I had seen that before but could not find it... I was hopeful someone would repost this for me.

Thread Information