From Toms River Nj , Now in Port St Lucie FL
    +1

Updated 16+ SVHO?

In the market for a new ski in a few months, pretty much set on the new gp1800. I did a lot of research and 2015 and older svho's obviously had some issues with the timing chain, but I have not seen much regarding their new updated chain guides. Digging through this fourm I haven't seen anyone saying there's broke on the newer models.i only seen one other post requarding this topic so im assuming all is fixed. I get it was a low number just curious if anyone has herd or seen any issues with the new ones. its prob the most reliable even with them failures but looking for that piece of mind. Plan on doing the Riva stage 1plus kit. IN ADDITION to the above, these engines have been around a wile what kind of hours are people getting out of them? Curious to see what high hour 1.8s are out there?

+1
    I heard about a broken '16 chain today. There are certainly some duds out there but if you get a new svho in warranty you shouldn't worry too much...Any new svho ski is a truly badass ski whether it's fx, FZ or GP...

+1
    Damn do you know if it was a stock or modded ski?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TwzteD View Post
    Damn do you know if it was a stock or modded ski?
    I think it was modified. But I've heard of chains breaking when you start the ski or at idle for too long on stock skis...I go for the best deal on a "new" ski with warranty...There's other things to worry about too like leaky stock oil cooler and supercharger shaft separation lol just gotta get a new one with warranty imo

+1
    yea I hear you , I do not like buying anything used esp something like this, never know what the previous owner has done and will uncover later on.

I see you have a rxt 300 how do you like it compared to you Yamaha?

+1
    If you want to buy a ski that has never broken a chain you won't find one. From time to time a chain will snap on any brand/motor. The 14/15 svho are just doing it wayy more often than "normal" failure rate.

+1
    16's have a new wider chain compared to 15 and below. They are solid. As for the oil cooler they changed the 2017 coolers due to some breaking and leaking. I've seen a 2016 FX go through this here out at sea and the owner turned it off too late, (there was an alarm but he didnt know how to retrieve the codes) Also kept starting before someone realised he was low on oil. Engine needed a new crank. These were way less common though, Aside from that they are very solid machines. There arent many SVHO here where I live but Yamaha is the only way we go, I've seen an 09 SHO with 600 plus hours, 08 cruiser with 440 hours (only one changed clutch too)

+1
    Thanks for the input

Thread Information