Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RXT-X 300 Maitnance Free?

Just got a Seadoo rxt-x 300. I originally was going to get a Seadoo gtx 155 for easy maintenance and longevity but when I found out the supercharger was maintenance free on the 300 I couldn't resist. The dealer told me that the supercharger would last the life of the engine. So I should suspect that the 300 will last just as long as say a 155 with proper maintenance. However recently I looked at the owners manual and saw that the supercharger needs to be inspected every 200 hours if it is road offshore. Why would this be I though it was maintenance free? Any way I should ride it in rough water to avoid harming the supercharger?

+1

RXT-X 300 Maitnance Free?

NOTHING is maintenance free no matter the brand of vehicle or component. This holds especially true for anything in the marine salt environment. Corrosion is a bitch, especially to the housing and blades from salt air, which can be just as nasty as salt water. I'm surprised Doo didn't put some sort of port to inject spray oil into there to prevent such things. Not to mention that the bearings in these things spin super fast and need attention as well. If it were mine I'd inspect the blower at least once a year no matter that the manual says.

+1
    It's "maintenance free" in the same way a modern battery is maintenance free, meaning it will eventually need replacement.

The supercharger cant be maintained, as such, but it will need service. I think they came up with that to try and dodge some of the lingering fears over the old ceramic washer days.

That's just my theory.

+1
    Here... this is a page from the shop manual.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2017-01-03-21-36-01.png 
Views:	213 
Size:	446.9 KB 
ID:	407406  

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by INTERCOASTAL BOB View Post
    If you want to buy yourself some long life insurance as well as boost your fuel economy while almost having as much fun, then go up one unit of pitch on the impeller beyond stock .A lot of stresses placed on the engine go up by the square of the rpm so if you just drop your peak engine and sc by 5% maybe to a new 7700 rpm peak engine speed, you will take a lot of stress off of this relatively small engine.
    do you know this from first hand experience or taking a guess?

Work: GTA ------------ ----------------- Play: Georgian Bay
    +1
    I suspect he is guessing. Perhaps do some research into overpropping engines. From my knowledge on the subject it is about the worst thing you can do for them reliability and "stress" wise. Lugging an engine is never good.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RGUN View Post
    I suspect he is guessing. Perhaps do some research into overpropping engines. From my knowledge on the subject it is about the worst thing you can do for them reliability and "stress" wise. Lugging an engine is never good.

i suspect he'sa forum troll with no useful information on the subject.

but to the OP's original post, follow the regularly scheduled maintenance intervals in the service manual and you'll be fine

+1
    Its just physics. For example the faster something goes down like a piston or a valve , the more stress on the components that have to suddenly stop it, turn it around and send it back up. Their are limits though to how far you can take this.

but why would you want to do it though. you buy a ski like this for the performance of it, not to get it and slow it down.

+1
    adding the part about sacrificing performance and longevity after i mentioned performance.... nice touch to try and back pedal.

i can go buy a corvette, do the regular maintenance, not sacrifice performance and have longevity. its all in how you take care of things.

+1
    It depends on what your mix of performance vs longevity is. I mean you can get a tune that stresses the engine beyond what the manufacturer set up its your call ,its your money, its a two way street
    or you can buy something, leave it alone, not depitch the prop, do the required maintenance intervals and still have longevity and performance.

and no one mentioned anything about a tune at all

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information