Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Price of mods....

Looking around at the various sites for modes like Riva, Worx etc, I can't help but be staggered about the price they are charging for performance enhancing parts! Something like an impeller is a precision part, but something like an exhaust bypass kit which is essentially a piece of hose (bent to shape) and an Aluminium fitting for the back of the ski commands a wopping $370 USD!!!! There is probably less than $10 of parts if they buy them in any kind of volume...

Whilst I am obviously having a moan.... I was wondering if there are other businesses that offer competition against the big racing parts sellers, of which I mention a couple above. It certainly looks like there is a market for some competition anyway!

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by iceno9 View Post
    Looking around at the various sites for modes like Riva, Worx etc, I can't help but be staggered about the price they are charging for performance enhancing parts! Something like an impeller is a precision part, but something like an exhaust bypass kit which is essentially a piece of hose (bent to shape) and an Aluminium fitting for the back of the ski commands a wopping $370 USD!!!! There is probably less than $10 of parts if they buy them in any kind of volume...

Whilst I am obviously having a moan.... I was wondering if there are other businesses that offer competition against the big racing parts sellers, of which I mention a couple above. It certainly looks like there is a market for some competition anyway!

if you really want to have a moan, look at what computer software costs. after the initial r&d costs are covered, its basically profit at that point for the vendor.

but getting back on topic.

1. you've got to pay to play. sure you can do it cheap. but there is trial and error involved if you try to DIY it.
    2. there is plenty of copycat products on the market.
    3. private branding. Company A makes the product. distributor A,B,C all sell Company A's product but either in different packaging or labeling for 3 different costs. all perform the same but are marketed differenty
    4. R&D time. you don't just guess at bends and say oh this will work. Now it's 3D modeling and scanning and tooling to make the parts. if you are talking machined pieces such as through hull fittings and what not, there is the added cost of machining, anodizing etc. And when a new model comes out if it isn't exactly the same as a previous one, you are re-doing the entire r&d process again.

so while yes some of the stuff is exorbitantly priced. sites such as the greenhulk performance store offer coupon codes saving you 10% (coupon code :greenhulk) on most brands with certain restrictions applying.

+1
    No different than most other sports or hobbies. It can sting but it's always been this way. It does cost a lot for all the research too and those people have to eat too.

Here's a bright spot about this forum. Jerry (site owner), offers most of the products through his online store at a lower cost (via coupon code of "greenhulk") than the competitors. Now obviously there's a dealer (reseller) program that incentivizes him to move their product because he has to eat too. At the same time, think of the cost of running a warehouse, inventorying, having employees, and the IT related costs of running a forum for almost 20,000 members worldwide (Servers, software, licensing cost, back-up's, and maintenance).

This one central place is priceless for sure and we are lucky to have it. I don't think anyone will disagree with you on the fact that it's a costly sport. But it's also no different than going fast on other machines (side by sides, snowmobiles, ATV's). It just so happens that the water toys could be the most expensive outside of making cars go fast.

I agree with you on some of the piping kits that riva sells are overpriced for what you get . But bottom line Don't like the price of the exhaust don't buy it ! You can your own exhaust and intakes for a lot less than Rivas but while you save money the quality isn't there . Silicone intakes .com for all the piping and couplers .

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ABBOTT View Post
    No different than most other sports or hobbies. It can sting but it's always been this way. It does cost a lot for all the research too and those people have to eat too.

Here's a bright spot about this forum. Jerry (site owner), offers most of the products through his online store at a lower cost (via coupon code of "greenhulk") than the competitors. Now obviously there's a dealer (reseller) program that incentivizes him to move their product because he has to eat too. At the same time, think of the cost of running a warehouse, inventorying, having employees, and the IT related costs of running a forum for almost 20,000 members worldwide (Servers, software, licensing cost, back-up's, and maintenance).

This one central place is priceless for sure and we are lucky to have it. I don't think anyone will disagree with you on the fact that it's a costly sport. But it's also no different than going fast on other machines (side by sides, snowmobiles, ATV's). It just so happens that the water toys could be the most expensive outside of making cars go fast.
    cars are cheaper..... by a long shot

+1
    Best tip I can give is try and buy used, let someone else take the hit and then buy it half off or so.. not to many shops knock off too much cause riva and all the other heavy hitters have the market.

7. +1 by:

+1
    If you want price inflation look no further than vtech injectors. They scratch off the Bosch part# and sell them for 3x the cost.

Since they haven't answered my emails, a paying customer, in a year I have no issue saying the above.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ptscon View Post
    If you want price inflation look no further than vtech injectors. They scratch off the Bosch part# and sell them for 3x the cost.

Since they haven't answered my emails, a paying customer, in a year I have no issue saying the above.
    Same story here.. maybe they hate Canadians? Not sure how in the hell I'm gonna get ahold of them to open the turbo tunes for me.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by connorrxp View Post
    Same story here.. maybe they hate Canadians? Not sure how in the hell I'm gonna get ahold of them to open the turbo tunes for me.
    I know it ain't cheap but I would probably go stand alone and screw vtech. Sell your stock ECU along with vtech to someone and invest in vipec or motec.

I really hate vtech, now the latest thing is stupid color changes to the map editor app. They made it black background with white text, it kills your eyes and worst of all the black background stops the color coded changes so you can't easily see what you modified.

Quote Originally Posted by connorrxp View Post
    You don't need there turbo tunes I started with the base 33/33 8900 . As long as you have map edit unlocked pull the timing down to 30 degrees and start logging and tuning

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information