Thread: Rideplate info

+1

Rideplate info

Okay, I'm an info junkie I admit it. I have only had my SUV for going on three seasons now. She's pretty much stock. I'm also a slight hot rodder, I'm not a big marine guy, never learned much about the hydrodynamics of these little beasties.
    That being said....
    And for the sake of a discussion and educating anyone else. I do understand about boats coming up on plane and trim, but "What is the purpose of the ride plate?"
    Also, what is the deal with using different ride plates than stock? Are the non-stock plates longer? extend deeper below the hull? What?

Just curious, I haven't seen much technical information about them, other than they exist. But nothing as to what they do, their purpose.

Thx.

+1
    To me (and others may differ from this analogy), the ride plate is basically a bottom access cover to the jet-pump. But that's not all it is . . . while it covers/shields the jet pump assembly from the moving water column, this is also what gives it greater purpose than just being a simple cover plate. The jet pump assembly is designed to exist external to the hull, and rather than having this bulky apparatus protruding out the rear of the ski, they designed the ski hull to have a recessed area (pocket) built into the hull to house/hide the entire pump assembly - likely in an effort to keep skis shape compact. However, this recessed area now threaten to disrupt the hulls hydrodynamic integrity/efficiency at on-plane, so a "cover" (aka plate) was engineered to restore the hull’s shape had the recessed hull not exist. Finally, given that the plate is complementary to the overall hull’s shape, the plate then becomes the likely (easiest) candidate to then modify the hull’s shape, thus the ski’s handling characteristics.
    I'm sure others will point out other/better reasons, but this is my layman's summary.

+1
    The rideplate is just what it says it is... In addition to what TimeBandit explained, it also is what has the most contact with the water surface when you ski is on plane. That being said, various rideplates have different characteristics and affects on how your ski rides when on plane, drag, coefficient of angle and resistance, surface tension, etc are all factors that come into play with the rideplate - as it it predominantly what you are riding on when on plane.
    Your next q is probably going to be what is best - that answer is a big 'it depends...' It depends on what water conditions you ride the most in and what characteristics you care about the most... Handling, speed, solid hookup in chop, etc. There is no plate that does all things best, much like there are no tires for your car that handle all road and weather conditions the best...
    The rideplate in conjunction with the intake grate work together to determine how your ski behaves (all with power, hull shape/size, weight, etc...)

That was very informative, thanks guys

+1
    Awesome answers, I appreciate the comments.
    I always wondered what exactly various manufacturers were doing to promote buying their rideplate. Whether is was longer, shorter, stuck down more or less into the laminar flow coming over the hull. Sometimes we see various products without complete explanations as to what they do.

+1
    Welcome to GH I see you are in Wichita where do you normally ride. Haven't seen an SUV on the water recently.

+1
    04gtxsc,
    It just dawned on me, I gave you a big Coleman Tent.

I keep my SUV in Eureka. We have a lake house there. I think the SUV twice on Cheney.
    I'd love to invite people out to Eureka, but unfortunately Eureka seems to dislike jet skis and jet ski owners. They don't have daily, weekend or any sort of temporary permit. Everything is an Annual.
    Plus, Unless you own property in Greenwood county, you get charged as an out of county resident.

So for a boating sticker;
    jet ski - out of county resident: $100.00
    jet ski - In county resident : $80.00

Boats are less, depending on advertised horsepower

Eureka has quite the cash cow. In fact some of the residents at the lake are starting to take notice that a lot of money is being brought into the city from the lake traffic and no money is being invested back into the lake.
    The road circling the lake is crappy. There is only two public locations to put into the lake and they are essentially right next to each other. If you don't have your own ramp its a real PITA to put in.
    Its such a small lake they could have a real jewel by investing just some of the income back into it.

+1
    Yep that is me. How are you doing? Looks like they do have a cash cow going. Unfortunately doesn't look like that is within my budget for as little as I would use it. Maybe we could get together some time at cheney or even El dorado that is closer for you to bring the ski.

We have graduated up to a 5th wheeler now. Used the tent a couple of times and worked out just great. Got a good deal on a used 5th wheel and truck.

Thread Information