Thumbs up Trip across southern USA. Questions.

Hey guys n gals.

So, my fiancee and I are planning a honeymoon trip. Planning on trailering our 2010 Yamaha sho down to Florida and doing some riding. Public ramps, staying in hotels. Not opposed to overnighters off the ski, and even camping. We camp off of it all the time here. We are just planning this trip, and we very well may focus on Florida and the keys, but other states are not out of the question. Going for a month, likely right after Christmas. Sky is the limit on what we do and where we go!

Anyone have any advice for a Canadian? Been in the states a lot, but never done any boating down there, and am looking for input on how to make it a fun, safe and relatively inexpensive trip

Any input would be appreciated.

Hutchy

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    1.) bring spare tires and hubs for your trailer. nothing sucks worse than being in foreign territory without spares
    2.) do a precheck and make sure everything is in working order before you leave (vacation with broken toys sucks)
    3.) check the local boating laws with regards to pwc and boating useage. certain parts of the state have speed restrictions during manatee season.
    4.) check out the riding groups section of the site for local information as well.
    5.) meber 83Gator on here has a neat little site that has maps for different parts of the country that people have ridden

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hutchy View Post
    ... trailering our 2010 Yamaha sho ...

Quote Originally Posted by Region8Ultra250X View Post
    1.) bring spare tires and hubs for your trailer. nothing sucks worse than being in foreign territory without spares
    2.) do a precheck ...
    If the trailer tires are more than five years old, replace them before you go on a long trip. If the tires are seven years old, replace them right away regardless of tread or how good the 'look'.

Trailer tires die from time and exposure, not mileage. Seven years in considered the absolute maximum duration, beyond seven years the tires are beyond life expectancy (per Goodyear and the tire industry) and old tires can fail at any time, possibly without warning.

Each tire will have a DOT date code embossed into one sidewall. If the DOT code is not visible on the outside sidewall, it is on the inside sidewall.

Thanks for the info. I will look over the trailer and waverunner before I go.

Is this a good time of year to go about this? Cant go any earlier due to work, and to avoid possible hurricanes we went with late December/Jan. Temperature isn't an issue. I have been known to drive mine when ice is forming around the shore. Anything is better than that lol.

What about theft at hotels? I guess just avoid dark areas, use a trailer lock, etc.

Up here there is crown land everywhere. Camp wherever you feel like stopping.. What is camping like down there? I have keelguard on the ski, so I can pull up about anywhere. My dry bag sits right on the back and carries all the gear you'd ever need. Just trying to get a feel for the place is all.

Thanks guys.
    Last edited by Hutchy; 02-13-2017 at 03:41 PM. Reason: More to say

And I will look at 83gators map. Any ideas where to find it?

We may stop at some freshwater lakes also. Did an airboat tour last time I was down there on lake Toho...(tohopachika Maybe?) Looked at some gators, and figured it would be cool to bring a ski down and stop at a few places like that. Maybe even try for a bass or two.

Gonna be a fun trip no matter what happens I figure.

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    And I will look at 83gators map. Any ideas where to find it?

We may stop at some freshwater lakes also. Did an airboat tour last time I was down there on lake Toho...(tohopachika Maybe?) Looked at some gators, and figured it would be cool to bring a ski down and stop at a few places like that. Maybe even try for a bass or two.

Gonna be a fun trip no matter what happens I figure.
    http://www.pwctrailfinder.com/

+1
    Theft of ski parts or entire skis is definitely a small issue in "urban" areas of FL. If you stick to more camping areas and off the beaten path hotel/motel places you should be OK I'd think. I would make sure you have a very sturdy lock to keep trailer on hitch ball and come up with a way to lock the ski to the trailer while unattended. As for riding there's no shortage of waterways here in FL and for that time of year it should feel like "summer" to a Canadian hahaha

+1
    When I drive down there I usually stop in St. Augustine and continue the trip to the Keys the following day. I stay as a hotel where I can see the setup from a window, and I also have multiple locks, the one being a long coated cable that goes around the rear tubing eyelet, and front eyelet, then through the trailer wheels. Then of course it's locked onto the Jeep Hitch. I also made a circuit with a shock sensor mounted the trailer which activates an XBEE transmitter alerting me in my room.. Then I have a few aluminum Baseball bats, because I am not sure of CCW laws yet.. Yeah a bit overkill..lol

Regardless, have an awesome trip..

+1
    I know you were just kinda joking, but ccw laws or no, pretty sure you go to prison if you shoot someone in a parking lot for trying to steal a jet ski.

Well, Texas you could probably get away with it.

+1
    Thanks for the info. I will look over the trailer and waverunner before I go.

Is this a good time of year to go about this? Cant go any earlier due to work, and to avoid possible hurricanes we went with late December/Jan. Temperature isn't an issue. I have been known to drive mine when ice is forming around the shore. Anything is better than that lol.

What about theft at hotels? I guess just avoid dark areas, use a trailer lock, etc.

Up here there is crown land everywhere. Camp wherever you feel like stopping.. What is camping like down there? I have keelguard on the ski, so I can pull up about anywhere. My dry bag sits right on the back and carries all the gear you'd ever need. Just trying to get a feel for the place is all.

Thanks guys.
    Christmas and New Years can be busy for FL, expect to pay more for hotel rooms, as everyone is trying to escape the cold.

Grant, and Sebastian area has pretty good camping on the various islands in the river.

This site has tons of excellent photos of the area:

http://www.indianriverbyair.com/

Recommend you check out this similarly themed thread:

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=257579

Here's my Youtube channel...

https://www.youtube.com/user/boandji...w=0&shelf_id=0
    Last edited by Xspook; 02-16-2017 at 09:36 AM.

Thread Information