Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

99 slx 1050 weak spark

Bought the ski like this.. the guy said he tried everything, it has an updated cdi and stator I ohmed the stator it checked out as an updated cdi.... While Cranking Im getting 260ish volts DC on each of the 3 wires from cdi to coil pack blk/white Green/black blue/blk I unplugged all 3 wires from CDI to coil but left the ground and the yellow/brown wire plugged in.. I saw one post on here from a sl700 cdi to coil voltages they were only 110 volts whats up with mine or am I testing wrong cdi wire to ground or negative on battery I checked both to see if the ground to the head bolt was bad the coil is the only thing left if that voltage is good I did ohm the coil and the wires they were good.. Thank in advance..

Banned User
    +1
    First thing is you need to make sure you have a really strong battery. You need a MINIMUM 10.6 volts while cranking the motor to get a spark.

You say weak spark. Will the engine fire or run at all? Do you have the proper spark plugs?

check these things first before going any farther

11.3 cranking volts, Plugs are right the arc will not jump on the plugs they are new BPR8ES, Im leaning towards the Coil I've checked stator, hall effect, I have a 260ish DC volt output from the CDI but I cant find any wheres if that's good or bad so I have to assume the CDI is good because I have decent voltage output.. The blk/white to black on the coil didn't ohm right (jumping all over the place) so I'm going to try to find one..

Update: Don't know what I did when I ohm tested the coil before but the black/white wire to ground now has infinite ohms (open) ... I noticed when I touched both leads I got resistance,,, somehow I was interfering with the results..lol.. So the coil checks out ..now the voltage from the cdi to coil has 248 volts only to the black/white wire the other blue/black and green/black at .776volts all 3 were unplugged.. I have ordered another updated cdi and coil package.. Hoping it works...

+1
    The yel/brn( yellow with brown stripe) wire is for Cyl 1. 2 is black with blue stripe. 3 is blk/grn.

The blk/wht is like a return to the CDI.

Test those wires while connected to the coil.

6. +1 by:

Thanks for the input Casey I measured with it plugged in...all 3 yl/brn, blk/blu and blk/green only have .8 volts when plugged in.. 11.2 cranking volts still looking like CDI when the new update kit comes (This Wednesday) I'm going to plug in the CDI first before replacing the stator might need both who knows.The cdi and Stator are the newer updated kit so it will match up. Then if I have to install the new stator I'm going to try the old CDI I'm thinking one of them must be good ... could be an extra $200 in my pocket or keep it for a back up.. I do plan on selling it when I'm done so probably will just sell which ever part is good..

+1
    That's 11.2V at the CDI red/pur.
    What do you get on the brown coming out of CDI?

Hopefully it's the CDI you need from the update kit-it's PVL.
    Companies were using the Chinese stators,which had problems.

8volts out of the brown wire.. looked at the voltage it was down because I was cranking it over quite a bit hooked up my jumper with the battery (had them both hooked up for the other readings) got 8.69 volts coming out of brown and 11.2 from red/purple..
    Last edited by Smille5291; 02-13-2017 at 02:14 PM.

+1
    8.69v on the brown should be enough. But then it needs the signals from the stator.

Have you done the 9v battery/turn the engine/trigger tests ?

The 99 SLX will have the inline stator connecter-check that very well for corosion/burnt terminal

112 ohms on each trigger when Magnet passes

yellow to red/purp is .75 and

blk to purple is 5.5

blk to ground is 0 exactly what it's supposed to be
    Last edited by K447; 02-13-2017 at 06:48 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information