Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Flywheel removal

alright guys i have the engine out of my polaris freedom 700, everything disconnected. intake manifold, exhaust manifold everything. BUT the flywheel IS NOT COMMING OFF. i went to the auto store and bought a flywheel/harmonic balancer puller, and the pullers bolts are bending that's how much pressure it's taking to pop it loose and it's STILL not going. i also been hitting it with a rubber mallet to pop it of but NOTHING is working. is there any particular thing to do?? it's just not popping off

+1
    A common solution is to hit the centre Bolt with a metal hammer while the puller is under pressure. Do not forget to leave the retaining Bolt on the shaft loosely because when the flywheel lets loose it could fly off the bench.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Hi guys just changed my 1200 ficht flywheel out last week the procedure i used was... leave flywheel nut on , ( i had a puller) remove the centre bolt out of the puller as it did not have enough room(was hitting gas tank), install flat side toward flywheel with 3 bolts (into flywheel (not to far as you can cause damage ) use a small piece of 1/4 flat stock steel put between (loose ) flywheel nut & puller then use a chisel between flat stock and puller and hammer the chisel keeping an eye out for when the flywheel pops off worked Like a charm for me !
    Last edited by johnnyv23; 02-05-2017 at 04:34 PM. Reason: i am not perfect...

+1
    the motor was still in the machine

+1
    i used a small 3lb hand sledge hammer the flywheel was on tight but 6-8 good hits she popped.

+1
    yup just tried that, i used a 5lb mallet, with the puller under ALOT of pressure, and i mean a lot, the blots were actually bending because of how much pressure is on it, so i took the mallet and hit the puller atleast 10-15 times with the most force i had but it's just not pulling off. could it of gotten so hot that it welded itself on??

+1
    if you have the puller under pressure try just pinging around the outside of the flywheel lightly and let the harmonics work it loose as well

9. +1 by:

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by freedom04 View Post
    yup just tried that, i used a 5lb mallet, with the puller under ALOT of pressure, and i mean a lot, the blots were actually bending because of how much pressure is on it, so i took the mallet and hit the puller atleast 10-15 times with the most force i had but it's just not pulling off. could it of gotten so hot that it welded itself on??
    Sometimes these red engine flywheels are really stuck in place. Your harmonic puller may not be stout enough.

Do not hammer on the perimeter of the flywheel, there are magnets glued to the inside of the flywheel, magnets do not like impact.

Focused torch heat can be carefully applied to the hub of the flywheel. Heat will break down the red Loctite compound that is on the tapered crankshaft snout. Be aware that too much heat can melt the front crankshaft seals or damage the magneto stator.

Sometimes it just takes some time for the tensioned puller to pop the flywheel loose. Leave the flywheel nut in position, just a few turns loosened. That will prevent the flywheel from rocketing around in the hull when it lets go.

Keep it tight for a few days, see if that is enough. Otherwise you may need a better flywheel puller. Be careful not to strip the threads in the flywheel holes.

11. +1 by:

+1
    The SLP 20-205 flywheel puller WILL. NOT. BE. DENIED. Just be ready for the explosive release!

https://www.denniskirk.com/slp/heavy...prd/283263.sku

+1

don't forget B P Blaster or wd 40

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyv23 View Post
    if you have the puller under pressure try just pinging around the outside of the flywheel lightly and let the harmonics work it loose as well

I should also mention that

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information