97 slt 700 how to tell if it has updated kit or not

I have a 97 slt 700 that's not getting any spark...I'm trying to figure out if it's the updated kit or non updated Cdi so I can look up the right wiring diagram...the number on my cdi is 4010803...thanks for all the help..

+1

97 slt 700 how to tell if it has updated kit or not

The 4010803 is an updated gen 3 CDI. However it is also a "high start" CDI that is supposed to be used with a "high start" flywheel for proper timing. You are going to want to verify that you have the proper flywheel or the machine has been properly timed with the new CDI. Someone else may chime in on what that would entail to properly tome it. I know it CAN be done with the non high start flywheel. Don't quite remember the process however.

The high start flywheel was used in 03-04 Polaris watercraft. -- for reference.

Is this ski new to you? Or have you had it running before?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    A Gen III 'update' CDI is also going to require a Gen III stator, it will not work with an original stator.

These red engine ignition systems also require a really strong battery. Monitor battery voltage while cranking, at the CDI the voltage needs to stay above 10.6 volts while cranking.

Well the ski was getting spark but I rebuilt the motor new crankshaft new pistons new rings new seals new gaskets and put it all back together and no spark....but before the rebuild there was spark so I'm guessing everything is right and it has the right stator...maybe wrong timing? I noticed a area on the back of the starter where there looks like a ground should be there? If so where does it go? Thanks for all the help...hope that makes some type of sense

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mc343 View Post
    Well the ski was getting spark but I rebuilt the motor new crankshaft new pistons new rings new seals new gaskets and put it all back together and no spark....but before the rebuild there was spark so I'm guessing everything is right and it has the right stator...

maybe wrong timing?

I noticed a area on the back of the starter where there looks like a ground should be there? ...
    Starter motor is grounded through the two mounting bolts to engine case. Factory configuration does not have a ground wire to the starter motor.

You need to work through the diagnostics for no spark, starting with checking the battery voltage minimum at the CDI. Must be well above 10.6 volts while engine is cranking.

Timing error will not cause spark to disappear.

Also check that every wire inside the electrical box is actually on the correct color coded terminal. And that all the grounded stuff is actually grounded.

Thanks k447 I will definitely run back through all of it again...I'll keep you posted!

Could anyone post the wiring diagram for the gen 3 cdi? Once again thanks for all the help.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mc343 View Post
    Could anyone post the wiring diagram for the gen 3 cdi? Once again thanks for all the help.
    What are you looking for? the electrical box diagram?

Yes the electrical diagram and the Volts it should be getting so I can start to find out why it's not getting spark....thwnks

Thread Information