Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

What did you do with the siphon line inlet after removing siphon? GP1800

I am about to remove the siphon line in the nozzle assembly of my 2017 GP1800. I believe the connection it used to attach to was 3/8".

Wondering what you are all doing with it? If i remove the nozzle inlet, fill the hole with epoxy or have a welder do their thing...I could always reconnect the 3/8" waterline that is technically sealed off right back to its thru-hull fitting. I need to install a bilge pump and I think 3/8" is too small for efficiency. I was thinking of adding a second 1/2x1/2 inlet...or even a 3/4 thru hull for bilge located around my 1/2" for riva cooling kit.

Just want to make sure this puppy is water tight.

thanks,

Mike

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MJE View Post
    I am about to remove the siphon line in the nozzle assembly of my 2017 GP1800. I believe the connection it used to attach to was 3/8".

Wondering what you are all doing with it? If i remove the nozzle inlet, fill the hole with epoxy or have a welder do their thing...I could always reconnect the 3/8" waterline that is technically sealed off right back to its thru-hull fitting. I need to install a bilge pump and I think 3/8" is too small for efficiency. I was thinking of adding a second 1/2x1/2 inlet...or even a 3/4 thru hull for bilge located around my 1/2" for riva cooling kit.

thanks,

Mike
    Cap it at the transom and secure the cap with a hose clamp.

3. +1 by:

my question is, isn`t it easier to reuse the opening used for the siphon just make it a bit bigger for the bilge pump? That way nothing to block and no new hole to open?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jwaked View Post
    my question is, isn`t it easier to reuse the opening used for the siphon just make it a bit bigger for the bilge pump? That way nothing to block and no new hole to open?
    It is generally preferred to have the outlet for the electric bilge pump well above the waterline. Reverse siphon can occur if the siphon breather becomes clogged or is not present, despite the bilge hose looping up high inside the hull. The reverse siphon water flow can then flood the hull when the bilge pump is not running.

If the bilge outlet can be visible to the rider, even better.
    Last edited by K447; 02-06-2017 at 12:18 PM.

I'd rather be jet skiing Saltwater n Premix's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Reverse siphon can occur if the siphon breather becomes clogged or is not present, despite the bilge hose looping up high inside the hull. The reverse siphon water flow can then flood the hull when the bilge pump is not running.
    I have seen this happen years ago to my brother's boat, he left the bilge hose hanging into the water. It would've gone to the bottom if it wasn't tied up good

Where is the exit for the Bilge pump of the FX and FZ?

+1
    I have decided on just removing or cutting out the siphon from the nozzle and will be filling it or having it filled by a welder as I did with previous skis. As far as my bilge line is concerned...I did purchase a 3/4 check valve that I will be installing in-line with the unit. I didn't see that my seaflow auto bilge has a built in check anywhere in the directions.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    ... As far as my bilge line is concerned...I did purchase a 3/4 check valve that I will be installing in-line with the unit. I didn't see that my seaflow auto bilge has a built in check anywhere in the directions.
    If you mount the bilge hull exit fitting well above the waterline (the higher the better) then the check valve isn't really needed. Especially if you also loop the bilge hose up high under the seat.

A check valve is another thing in the water flow path, which means it can reduce flow or perhaps stick shut or become clogged with bilge debris.

+1
    I could put it in the back deck under the seat...I'm not closed to that as an option.

+1

thanks,

Mike
    Why remove the siphon tube in the first place?..
    Sure it make sense to add an auto or manual electric bilge so you have a second bilge especially if prop won't spin and your taking on water..

Is there some slight speed gain from removing the pipe or welding it shut..

Don't get it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information