Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Oil

+1

Oil

hey guys. been busy ripping the engine out of my 2004 polaris freedom. the engines out. i first decided to pull the engine bc of a loss of compression problem. i found out that i have NO piston rings on eaither cylinder. so i took the intake manifold off and come to find out it was destroyed. all metal pieces of the rings where laying in the intake. by the reeds. thank god the reeds didn't get destroyed. now... i'm replacing the engine with a REMAN one from SBT for $1000. which isn't that bad. now does anyone suggest i should switch to premix? if so which ratio should i run? and also, when i take the flywheel and everything off, and once i receive the new engine, when i put the flywheel back on does the timing or anything have to be adjusted? if so how? thanks guys!

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Well, my perspective is that the oil injection system is generally quite reliable. An oil pump failure can happen, it seems to be uncommon. The oil hoses must be inspected, in good condition and the clamps on each hose must be properly snug. Be sure to replace the oil filter with a new OEM filter, not aftermarket.

Clear photos of the failed engine cylinder walls and piston sides and tops might tell us what caused the engine failure.

Note that premixing the oil will roughly double your oil consumption compared to the oil pump system. The oil pump is variable rate (make sure the oil pump control cable is correctly adjusted). At wide open throttle the oil ratio is roughly 40:1 but at idle and low speeds the oil pump reduces oil flow as the engine does not need as much. This reduces engine exhaust smoke and overall oil consumption.

While you are working on the machine, now is an excellent time to rebuild the carbs with OEM rebuild kit and OEM fuel filter. The fuel shutoff valve should also be replaced, but OEM is no longer available.

All these parts are available from www.watcon.com including Polaris specific carb rebuild kits.

+1
    hm, i'm really stuck on what to do about the oil pump. should i just keep it as oil injection? i was thinking of going premix because of the new engine, but if the oil pumps are rare to fail then i might just stick to the injection. also, i'm going to post some pics of the pistons and the metal pieces i found in the intake later today.

I'D RATHER SWEAT THAN SHIVER hyoctane23's Avatar
    +1
    I'd say stick with the oil injection if you can confirm the pump is good. So much easier to ride out on the lake and be able to "gas and go" instead of having to bring oil with you and make sure it is properly mixed. Plus there is always that off chance you forget to add the oil.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    what K447 said

but let's talk about stripping the engine to get the core to SBT.

you'll need something to get the pto and flywheel off.

search is your friend in that regard

+1
    alight thanks guy, i think i'm going to stick with the oil injection!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    what K447 said

but let's talk about stripping the engine to get the core to SBT.

you'll need something to get the pto and flywheel off.

search is your friend in that regard

Haha yup, been working on just getting the flywheel and PTO off for 2 days finally got it tonight.

+1
    A few tips:

Check the new engine's crankcase for being able to hold a vacuum. You'll need to fabricate some block off plates for the intake/exhaust ports. I've heard of some utilizing racquet balls, but I've never tried that myself.

Don't assume because it was rebuilt by SBT that everything is OK. It has been discussed a number of times here, so you may want to do some searching.

You'll need to check the pump driveshaft alignment, also.

Do you have the service manual?
    Last edited by K447; 02-07-2017 at 02:43 PM. Reason: racquet, not tennis

+1
    Hi Mr. No rings this should be the answer to your question.... regarding switching to premix. Over my life time of dealing with countless 2 stroke engine designs with and without engine oiling systems you the operator have the ability to tweek oil demands to your application better than any oil system. it is also my belief that premixing the oil
    gives much better atomization and better lubrication over all. Think of mixing a rye and coke in a glass and enjoying it (sounds good) vs. putting a shot of rye in your mouth then pouring some coke in at the same time. both with work but I think you will agree premixing your drink works better ps. if you are hauling heavy girls you can add a little extra oil (or Whisky) as well to help keep things well Lubed.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyv23 View Post
    ... my belief that premixing the oil gives much better atomization and better lubrication over all. ...
    The gasoline atomization is for the combustion chamber, the oil coating is for the crankcase area.

While it is in the crankcase the oil mist swirls around and around lubricating the bearings and cylinder walls, repeatedly. When some of the oil mist gets drawn into the combustion chamber during an intake cycle it is not doing much for the engine anymore, most of that oil will be consumed during the very next combustion event.

11. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information