Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: overheat alarm

+1

overheat alarm

So i was riding on a dam a few days ago and got the overheat alarm, code 251 (which i didn't check at the time, i forgot how, DOH!) i parked it, let it reset and it did it again, i've got it at the shop and the only fault is 251, which is just a overheat alarm, so the sensors appear ok?
    The water was very green, quite warm to swim in too, and i'm being told it could be the thermostat or a clogged cooling line, i have the Worx added cooling line to the engine as well as the SVHO I/C and the pissers were flowing strong on both sides, engine side was very warm.
    I got it home, flushed it, cleaned it and took it to the shop the next day, i also looked at the strainer though i didn't remove it, from the inside of the housing it looked clean. The shop wants me to replace all three sensors "to be sure" as well as checking the thermostat and the cooling lines, they also said something about removing the exhaust???

+1
    Might I ask how you were riding it when the alarm sounded? Flat out?
    If so, doesn't surprise me because It's been damn hot lately anyways..
    I've had overheat alarms on the odd occasion when I've been unsympathetic to it on a 35 degree day but they don't happen during normal use.

+1
    Hmm, i thought riding it flat out was the norm, yeah, i was giving it some beans, you think it might just be a case of overworking it? i was two up and playing around.

+1
    Mine alarmed again on the weekend, was flat out 2-up on the river for a good 2-3mins and it was another day in the 30's...just idle it around for a few mins and it comes right, only does it on prolonged WOT runs though. I have a feeling the alarm set point is pretty conservative.

I have a reflash and SVHO cooler but I've also got a B1 and no cooling kit. Doing the WORX 1/2" kit, oil change and some ventilation mods on the weekend, I'll let you know how I go.

+1
    yeah cool mate, thanks. Mine alarmed in exactly the same way, i have the SVHO cooler, a flash and a cooling upgrade on mine.

My Mechanic checked the lines for blockages and the thermostat and its all good, he thinks it's possible the sensor is failing rather than completely failed and may have a resistance issue that sets it off at too low a temp. HIs argument is they race them at WOT for ages with no alarm so a rec ski shouldn't.

I'm replacing the sensor on mine and hopefully no more issues, we will see, not sure i'll be out for a play on sunday, supposed to be 42 deg C, think i'll hide in the A/C for the day.....

+1
    Let hope that's the case!
    I reckon a genuine cold air intake plumbed to the RIVA 4" pipe from kanaflex would go a long way to helping intake temps and our issue. If that things sucking 40-50 degree humid air from inside the bilge and being compressed even more that intercoolers gotta be struggling. Pulled the seat off the other day when the buzzer went off and the intake side of the intercooler was almost too hot to touch!

+1
    is a "B1" a S/C wheel? what boost are you running with it and what difference does it make to the ski? i'm yet to do my prop and my plan is to tune my pump to the engine mods i settle on and leave it at that, Jerry tells me a 13/22R is perfect for my set up, if i change the wheel i'll likely need a different prop maybe?
    cheers

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by boogtonic View Post
    Let hope that's the case!
    I reckon a genuine cold air intake plumbed to the RIVA 4" pipe from kanaflex would go a long way to helping intake temps and our issue. If that things sucking 40-50 degree humid air from inside the bilge and being compressed even more that intercoolers gotta be struggling. Pulled the seat off the other day when the buzzer went off and the intake side of the intercooler was almost too hot to touch!
    You make a good point, if the incoming water combined with humid hot air from inside the hull is too high then it's likely going to struggle to stay cool if it's getting a caning. I decided to get mine changed just to avoid the inconvenience of another failure but i'll be out on it again this week if i can find the time.

Did you get an error code when it alarmed? i forgot to check mine.....

+1
    After idling for a while I shut it down, the battery decided to pack up at the same time and I didn't get it started again! How do you check for codes on the FX's anyways?

+1
    dunno! on the FZ you hold the button down and after 15 sec it pops up a code on the LCD display

where do you usually play on yours? i've only had mine on the dam so far (Moogerah) FPV TRANNY has offered for me to go with his off the gold coast but i haven't made the time yet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information