Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HELP! water in cylinders SEADOO gtx 185

I just finished replacing the supercharger, driveshaft, and prop on my 2003 Seadoo gtx 185 and water gets in cylinders after it sits in the water for an hour or so. The ski starts fine after pulled out of the water onto floating dock or if I don't let it sit for more than 20 min it will fire right up after a few seconds. The engine hydrolocks if it sits for to long.

My theory is that water is filling the exhaust as it sits and is sucked in when engine is turned over. When I replaced the supercharger I had to take off the curved metal section of exhaust and disconnected the first water box to get the old Sc out. Maybe everything didn't seal when I put it all back together? Or maybe the water box has rusted through?

what are the other possible route water could make its way into the combustion chamber? This ski is not intercooled so I can take that off the list.

You can always pretend nothing is wrong with it.. Take it to a seadoo dealer and trade it in for one of em 300hp bad asses! Though women really like guys with turbine powered boats... The ones that do minimum 100 mph and+.... You really can't dance and twerk on a 3 cylinder PWC...

+1

HELP! water in cylinders SEADOO gtx 185

The "curved pipe" is the J-pipe. I would check the V band clamp that connects it to the exhaust manifold. I suspect you may now have an exhaust leak, which would not push all the water out of the waterbox.

Check the hose clamps very closely, j-pipe, WB, resonator, outlet.

You should be able to feel the leak with your hand with the engine running.
    Last edited by jpt7779; 01-29-2017 at 10:04 AM.

I checked compression and it is 140 in all cylinders. To test for exhaust leak I put a little two stroke oil in each cyl then started it up and as far as I can see there was no smoke in the hull. Maybe it is too small or maybe I need to shine a light in there to see the smoke. My brothers stx15f had this same problem and it ended up being holes in the water jacket around the header. Does this ski have a water jacket in the header?
    Last edited by Stx90O; 01-29-2017 at 12:11 PM.

+1
    The purpose of the J pipe is to prevent water from flowing back into the engine via the exhaust. Its highest point will always be above the surrounding waterline. Water doesn't flow uphill. Make sure you have all your cooling lines routed properly. There will always be water in the waterbox, that's not an issue. Are you sure its water in the cylinders and not gas, could be a leaky injector. And if you've already hydrolocked the motor, you more than likely bent a rod.

The hoses are routed according to the diagram. Don't think it's in the gas because it runs fine when out of the water or in the water as long as it doesn't sit off for too long. Not sure if starter can bend a rod.

Update: fired the ski up and now there is a new problem. When I try to rev it a little, the ski looses power and starts spewing blue smoke. Well f***, does this mean the rod is bent? Checked comp again and it is 140/136/140. Oil on all spark plugs.

+1
    Does it have any check engine lights? You did put oil in it... it's gonna smoke.. still doesn't make sense with the water in the motor when it's off and sitting in the water... I would get a new set of plugs and see if your throwing any codes. Press mode or reset 5 times fairly quick and it will display p codes.

+1
    Yes, trying to crank a hydrolocked motor can bend a rod. Any trouble codes it might have wont explain why its filling with water.

Could the oil being drastically overfilled cause it to make its way into combustion chamber? There is lots of water in the oil and I'm currently Changing it. When I took it out, it idled fine without any smoke and revved fine out of the water without load. When revved in the water under load it loses power and plumes smoke.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information