Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I have 2 2001 virage 700s should I part or fix?

I have 2 virage 700s I just bought one is missing the CDI and coils the other has a bad cylinder.. Both look real good otherwise one has a good engine and everything else looks great no tears in the seats no problems with the hulls.. I was thinking about swapping the cylinder and having one good ski and one to part out... I dont know anything aout them are they reliable when running? I might just part them both out if they end up prob after prob...Thanks in advance.. Also does anybody know how to power up the MFD without the CDI can I just put jumper wires from a battery to the hot wires to the gauge ?Thanks again
    Last edited by Smille5291; 01-18-2017 at 06:59 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Smille5291 View Post
    I have 2 virage 700s I just bought one is missing the emm the other has a bad cylinder.. Both look real good otherwise one has a good engine and everything else looks great no tears in the seats no problems with the hulls.. I was thinking about swapping the cylinder and having one good ski and one to part out... I dont know anything aout them are they reliable when running? I might just part them both out if they end up prob after prob...Thanks in advance.. Also does anybody know how to power up the MFD without the computer can I just put jumper wires from a battery to the hot wires to the gauge ?Thanks again
    What is the HIN# (hull id #) ?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Click on my signature link, then find the MFD/MFI section. There you will find the pinouts for the Virage MFI display and a lot of other useful info.

Be very careful with battery polarity, reverse voltage will damage the display electronics.

What would the HIN # do for me ? Tganks

Thank You��

+1
    HIN will tell years of the machines and if parts are compatible between the two so you can swap together.

+1
    If the engines are identical, I'd just swap the EMM and the injectors from the unit with the bad cylinder. Injector coefficients are unique and programmed into the EMM, so you need to swap them as a set. I'd part out the unit with the bad cylinder. Also, re-enforce the fuel pressure regulator (FPR) as detailed here:

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=77110

The FPR falling off inside the fuel tank is not that it may happen, but it will. When it does, the fuel pressure drops to near zero and, in turn, the mixture becomes lean and holes get burned through piston(s). I'd speculate that may be what happened to the unit with bad cylinder.

Short of the FPR, the other more significant issue is electrolytic capacitors failing in the EMM due to age, heat, & component quality. They can be rebuilt and there is a few outfits that do so, albeit a bit pricey.

Otherwise ridden with common sense, they are pretty reliable. I have a 2003 Virage I that I purchased new and it has a little over 200 hours on it. The only thing I've ever done to it, short of regular maintenance and batteries, is re-enforce the FPR. I have six other 2003/2004 Virage Is, so I obviously like them.

If you decide to retain one, checkout the link In K447's signature (above in post #3). He has a lot of good information and tech tips in that link.

+1
    Polaris did NOT make a 2001 Virage I. So an 01 700 will not have an EMM.
    The Virage I that did use an EMM was a 777cc, and did not have a MFD.

9. +1 by:

+1
    I have 2 virage 700s I just bought one is missing the emm the other has a bad cylinder.. Both look real good otherwise one has a good engine and everything else looks great no tears in the seats no problems with the hulls.. I was thinking about swapping the cylinder and having one good ski and one to part out... I dont know anything aout them are they reliable when running? I might just part them both out if they end up prob after prob...Thanks in advance.. Also does anybody know how to power up the MFD without the computer can I just put jumper wires from a battery to the hot wires to the gauge ?Thanks again
    It's not clear what the engine situation is. If one has a good engine, then why do you need to do a cylinder swap? And post up pictures of the bad cylinder, its possible that its just the top end, but its also possible that the crank is damaged.

11. +1 by:

These are 01 virage 700 not virage I which I think is the 800 could be wrong Im pretty green..They are both carbed. Thinking about swapping the electronics and parting out the one with the bad cylinder... Saving some parts fro future breakdowns.... thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information