+1

Loctite on piston oil spray banjo?

Do you guys use blue loctite on the piston oil spray banjo? Service manual doesn't mention it but I just want to double check, that thing coming loose would be bad.

Thanks

+1
    I use a tiny dab of red....Don't get carried away because if you get any inside you could lock up the spring and check ball..

3. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ptscon View Post
    Do you guys use blue loctite on the piston oil spray banjo? Service manual doesn't mention it but I just want to double check, that thing coming loose would be bad.
    The official requirement is NO loctite on the banjo bolt (to 19Nm) but blue loctite 243 on the small bolt that acts as a brace for the tube.

I would NEVER recommend red loctite near anything that oil move through. Once it hardens, it can break off a tiny piece and turn into VERY expensive repair (but snoman correctly said tiny dab). Also, once removing a bolt with red on the threads, you run the risk of hardened pieces falling into the hole. Look at most manuals and good luck finding an engine manufacturer suggesting red loctite on internals (very rare and usually with an asterisk next to it). Only time I've used red is in 2-strokes where the crank key fits into crank/flywheel.

ps. The BRP manuals only show if a bolt needs thread sealer. So if the manual doesn't show it (next to the bolt diagram), it goes on dry.

5. +1 by:

+1
    I ended using a tiny bit, maybe enough to cover 2-3 threads once spread out, just to give it a little extra hold, and far away from the oil passage in that bolt.

+1
    I have rebuilt engines that were built by others who used loctite on those bolts and had them snap off flush when trying to strip down the engine for rebuild.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow 91 View Post
    I have rebuilt engines that were built by others who used loctite on those bolts and had them snap off flush when trying to strip down the engine for rebuild.
    Red loctite is EVIL

Because I ride in salt water, salt water is mothers nature loctite from hell (I call it white powder loctite). So much so that I use waterproof grease on every external bolt (motor, pump area, ect..).

Thread Information