Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Buying new supercharger advice

Hey guys

we just got a "new to us" used 2008 RXT X 255 ... it's got 57 hours so when I get close to 100 I'll look for a new one or maybe buy one now.
    looked up in parts to find 420881990 as the new unit But in my research I see a lot more 420881992 units around and a bit better price.

Can I use the latter 992 unit in my 08 255 ?

+1
    You need to spend some time researching before buying anything. Check the stock charger's slip first. If it's 'off' you have two basic options if you want an identical 'X' model supercharger.
    A direct drop in replacement is available in the greenhulk store, and also a cheaper option: a rebuild kit for your current charger.
    The search bar is veeeerrry helpful. Oh, and tossing in a new wear ring and checking he impeller for damages probably a good idea.
    Congrats on your purchase!

Listen slick, you have no idea who you are talking to.
    Dont let a simple part number question get the best of you either.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dguth66 View Post
    Listen slick, you have no idea who you are talking to.
    Dont let a simple part number question get the best of you either.
    Say thanks for my kind response with good info since no one else bothered. Oh, and you should notice I have an old '08 and know it in and out so I would have (past tense) happily helped you with questions and free speed tips, like the ____ in the ____ the previous owner probably didn't remove.
    This is a great forum with great people. Don't burn bridges.
    Flame arrestor
    intake mani
    You're welcome.

5. +1 by:

+1
    Just rebuild it in the off season!
    Send it to Jerry for rebuild tho!

+1
    Here's a thought. Pick up one cheap off ebay, send it to get rebuilt, keep on hand for simple swapout. At that time send in the original for rebuild and always be ready to ride!

Thanks guys, I've been a Red Seal tech since 87 so I hear ya for sure. It's been my experience that a new one, at least for us up here in Canada, can be had for an extra $400 - $600 given my situation ... I may just bite the bullet and go that route.

Mothman ... perhaps we got off to bad start but telling me to use the search is in bad taste especially where u don't know me form a hole in the ground, other than my recent joining here.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by dguth66 View Post
    Thanks guys, I've been a Red Seal tech since 87 so I hear ya for sure. It's been my experience that a new one, at least for us up here in Canada, can be had for an extra $400 - $600 given my situation ... I may just bite the bullet and go that route.

Mothman ... perhaps we got off to bad start but telling me to use the search is in bad taste especially where u don't know me form a hole in the ground, other than my recent joining here.
    sorry, but advising new members to use the search is pretty much SOP around here especially fater the issue was deal with over 4,543 times ( adjusted) last season alone

be nice, you only get a couple of asshat paasses around here.

and yeah,. I'd be remiss not to welcome you aboard

now MY advice..would be to inspect and rebuild as well, but on the other hand if you can get a complete new one for $400-$600 replace it now and sell that old beat up charger to me for $150.

OEM kits are pricey, but so is the cost of that stuff flying into your engine when fails.

I'd lend my spare tire to Mothman, I know I'd get it back before I actually needed it.

10. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    sorry, but advising new members to use the search is pretty much SOP around here especially fater the issue was deal with over 4,543 times ( adjusted) last season alone

now MY advice..would be to inspect and rebuild as well, but on the other hand if you can get a complete new one for $400-$600 replace it now and sell that old beat up charger to me for $150.

OEM kits are pricey, but so is the cost of that stuff flying into your engine when fails.

I'd lend my spare tire to Mothman, I know I'd get it back before I actually needed it.

nmpeter
    Thanks for your reply, I'm still not decided but strongly leaning towards a new one when time comes. I've been around boats all my life, just about three now with the jet stuff, and most forums all say the same ... about rebuilding being a higher chance of failures. I think it's easy to understand why so really over the two or three years it takes me to put another 100hrs that $600 more ( max ) for new SC is only a few hundred bucks each year and for me worth the peace of mind. If we all agreed life would be a boring place.

Anyway, I came here with a question regarding the differences between the two different part numbers 992 vs 990 because they take same rebuild kit. I did see someone chime in on diff thread that the clutch is the difference ... so I'll head over now and x-check for diff clutch part numbers. I'm not aware of difference in clutch between an 08 and a 10 machine. If there is please advise and point me to the ref.

I know at the end of the day it's not a big deal as both will work fine for my RXT X 255 ( 08 ) just could not find the why in my research as I said in my first post ( same as search by the way 😀 ) So I though I would ask. I just retired from the Navy back this Nov as a Chief so I know there is more than one way ... thanks.

DG

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post

I appreciate your words, thanks.
    To the OP, we're all here to break build and chase speed. Good luck with your 08 and don't hesitate to ask about the pump when you tear into it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information