Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    African-American
    +1

2-Stroke (Projects/Budget- Build Ideas/Inquiries) ***2017 Updates/Consensus***

One thing to note, you could essentially purchase 4 mint condition gp1300r's for the price of a new gp1800.

But I wouldn't buy a 1300r with the intent of making it a 80+mph ski..

A nice mid 70 ski with a few mods like rideplate, impeller, air intake, raising compression ,timing, jetworks and reeds.

@CrazyA @Spaceman ..... guys you are different cause you know how these skies work inside and out I am talking about the jet ski project newbs or people trying to purchase a "mint condition" GP1300R

There is a higher ratio of people asking how to fix their broken 2 stroke jet ski and asking why their 2 stroke jet ski doesnít go fast yet they have multiple aftermarket parts installed to people posting success and longevity.

This is more for the general public that are just getting started.

Most people starting out purchase Jetskis for driving recreationally and for fun not to become a technician and not to spend countless hours trying to diagnose or dump money into older 2 stroke jet skiís that are prone to have problems.

I am not comparing the amounts of money the jet skis cost because the prices for the jetskis vary in different regions, but the clear better option for tuning and long run market value are the newer 4 stroke supercharged options that have full standalone engine management kits to fine to and fail safe the engine from destruction.... something that cannot be had in the GP1300R and older 2 stroke jet skis.

If a newb is gonna dump money or have a side project they should do it in a newer 4 stroke supercharged so when they add the ricer BOV and it starts to make supercharger noises they feel like they are doing something instead of coming on here asking how they can improve their exhaust and make there ski faster.

Thatís why I believe itís vital and why this thread is a helpful resource for those individuals.

+1
    GP....the problem with the post is that its just an opinion piece. Opinions are very subjective. You will know what expensive is once that 4 stroke needs some work. This community is one that has always been willing to do its research and learn. We tuners have taken great skis and perfected them through hard work and research, and a willingness to help each other by sharing info. I started this journey by buying a 97 WR3 for 700 bucks. Fast forward to now....I have bought and sold 7 skis, each one a project in its own right. The one I plan on keeping is my 00 GPR. Its been super reliable, has never broken down on me, and now I have rebuilt the engine and hopefully will get another 300 hours out of it. This is a YMMV hobby. You just don't bolt a set of triple pipes to a stock ski and expect to go 80 mph. Every time I ride my GPR I smile when I pull the throttle and she roars up on plane. The smile comes from the satisfaction of knowing that my hard work and research have led to many trouble free hours of riding. Don't take it the wrong way....but HOW DARE YOU TRY TO TALK SOMEONE OUT OF RECEIVING THE SAME SATISFACTION!!!!!!!!!!! OK....rant over. Now, either fix your GPR, or sell it and get an 1800!

+1
    There are pros & cons to two strokes, there are just as many benefits and detractors to four strokes. I have a Yamaha SUV. I cannot for the life of me imagine owning any other ski. Yes she's my first and as such she will always be special. However, she is rated for four people. All others are rated for three. So that means "legally" I can pull my dau and two of her friends on my 3P towable. You can't do that with any other "ski".
    Now if I upgrade to Seadoo challenger or sugar sand or some other jet boat its a moot point. I will have then upgraded from a "ski" to a jet "boat".
    So back to my dilemma, I want my large SUV ski, with a ton of capacity. I want the stable platform, I'm a big guy (6' 245 lbs.) and I can stand on the edge of the gunwale and not worry about the ski tipping over or rolling over. I can launch her by myself, I can retrieve her by myself. She is fast enough for the size of lake I'm on. I can pull any of the following: wake boarder, skier, 2P or 3P towable.

I want reliability, I need to be able to put her in the water and fire be able her up every time. Fuel conservation not really important. More power would be nice, I really wish she had 200-225 horsepower. Doesn't need to really go faster, just a little more power to make her quicker out of the hole.
    A four stroke would be quieter, which would be nice. Plus the four stroke would shake less.
    Do I want one of the new Four strokes?? SURE, but not at the sacrifice of what I have. Have I thought about selling it and getting real ski boat? Yes, but when I'm by myself or with the wife, it like riding a motorcycle, and I can't replace that.

+1
    Figure I'll chime in here since my experience with the GP1300r was quoted earlier in the thread...

I've owned my GP1800 since late November and it's only been on the lake twice with my pleasant Ohio winter weather. I have a whopping 2.7 hours on the clock.

Now, I'll admit it's blisteringly fast (Literally - I developed a blister from excessive full-throttle runs), and the handling is vomit-inducing, assuming you can hang on. Would my GP1300r stand a chance next to it? Not at all.

With all that said, why am I in the 2-Stroke performance section? For all the amazing times I've already had and am sure I will continue to have with the new toy, I miss the character of my GP1300r. The hull simply can't be beaten and I miss how flickable the ski was at any speed. My GP1800 respectfully obeys every command I throw at it like a well-trained soldier, but my GP1300r was a partner in crime, its 2-stroke exhaust maniacally laughing as we created plumes of chaos across the lake.

I'm here shopping for a new (to me) GP1300r. No, it won't be my primary ski anymore, but when I go to the lake to play by myself, it'll be my trusty sidekick.

I'd offer to buy yours GP, but it sounds like you just found a particularly well-beaten machine. As a result, I don't blame you for your views, but it really is an anomaly. It's been one of those things where you've been in over your head since you picked it up. Same thing happened to me when I bought a used Honda 400ex from craigslist. That quad has just never been right, but it's just this particular one, not the model as a whole.

I really wish this wasn't a sticky because it could deter new folks to the sport from buying what would be an amazing machine for them. I even miss the SMELL of my 2-stroke in all of its polluting glory. Your personal experience (although unpleasant) doesn't embody what owning a 2-stroke is like at all...

Now back to shopping for my GP1300r

Quote Originally Posted by kmaher View Post
    Figure I'll chime in here since my experience with the GP1300r was quoted earlier in the thread...

I've owned my GP1800 since late November and it's only been on the lake twice with my pleasant Ohio winter weather. I have a whopping 2.7 hours on the clock.

Now, I'll admit it's blisteringly fast (Literally - I developed a blister from excessive full-throttle runs), and the handling is vomit-inducing, assuming you can hang on. Would my GP1300r stand a chance next to it? Not at all.

With all that said, why am I in the 2-Stroke performance section? For all the amazing times I've already had and am sure I will continue to have with the new toy, I miss the character of my GP1300r. The hull simply can't be beaten and I miss how flickable the ski was at any speed. My GP1800 respectfully obeys every command I throw at it like a well-trained soldier, but my GP1300r was a partner in crime, its 2-stroke exhaust maniacally laughing as we created plumes of chaos across the lake.

I'm here shopping for a new (to me) GP1300r. No, it won't be my primary ski anymore, but when I go to the lake to play by myself, it'll be my trusty sidekick.

I'd offer to buy yours GP, but it sounds like you just found a particularly well-beaten machine. As a result, I don't blame you for your views, but it really is an anomaly. It's been one of those things where you've been in over your head since you picked it up. Same thing happened to me when I bought a used Honda 400ex from craigslist. That quad has just never been right, but it's just this particular one, not the model as a whole.

I really wish this wasn't a sticky because it could deter new folks to the sport from buying what would be an amazing machine for them. I even miss the SMELL of my 2-stroke in all of its polluting glory. Your personal experience (although unpleasant) doesn't embody what owning a 2-stroke is like at all...

Well said K.

Quote Originally Posted by kmaher View Post

Well it's more about bringing awareness cause it's easy to fall down the "rabbit hole" here on these forums so-to-speak and go from adding exhaust modifications and trying to figure out why their carbs aren't working (probably from moisture and a single exposure to ethanol content).

At the end of the day people will do what ever they want to do anyway.

Most newbs won't even read the article that long.... but it's there as a "I told you so" just in case and as a best suggestion.

As far as those interested in making a fast project build it's also there to remind them of how it's not as easy as just throwing parts on it and calling it a day... hence the main suggestion.

Most people get a jet ski not to have more work on their hands but to and these old school 2 strokes are deceiving and seem like a little amount of work when in reality there is a lot of reading and involvement. When I complete my ski it will be essentially a full restoration and most hardware like steering, transom, pump assembly and every nut and bolt will be replaced.

When I purchased ski the prior person didn't elaborate and said they don't know why the engine won't spin..... and on these forums you read that the oil injection system goes bad so I thought it would be as easy as a little body work and rebuilding cylinder number 3 and call it good. Boy was I wrong every cable, bilge pump, transom, jet pump, was corroded pitted and needing repair or replacement. Removing bolts and they would just snap and need extraction .... the worst part is that there isn't much you can see in the hull cause the engine takes up most of the space. Thats a tough pill to swallow when it's your first jetski purchase ever and mainly due to lack of knowledge of looking at the aluminum pitting and noticing the neglect and damage from saltwater. I should have gone directly with a jetski mechanic and asked them I should do. The bright side is I will have a Fully Restored GP1300R 2003 and if I ever decide to sell it I will be an old guy like those guys that sell 2010 Chevy Bel Air type of deal.

Yeah my case may or may not be so rare.... but the other aspects about longevity, performance, reliability, and average number of people presently having issues arise on their older 2 stroke skis is very common.

Last edited by GP123; 04-21-2017 at 11:48 AM.

+1
    Your not American, you couldn't possibly understand a 2 Stroke, cause all this sounds like a joke, why don't you go out and smoke some more dope, because your two stroke antics are a hoax.

African-American
    +1
    Lol dude.. smooke the pipe much ? I'm not American, wish i was, but i do know 2 strokes.

+1
    Part of the fun (for me anyway!) of owning a two stroke is working on it. And as for parts I can still get most bits for my 21yr old Raider brand new off the shelf, ands there's TONS of good used parts out there

Sure I'd like an FX SVHO or GP1800r sometime soon, but I'd never part with my Raider, it's just too much fun!

And the feeling of pulling past a guy on his 10K+ four stroke and leaving him in my wake is absolutely priceless!!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information