Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    +1

Project Yamacane

First off, this is my first post to this forum. I have been on pwctoday and xh2o for a few years now, but I understand this is where all the Polaris people are. I thought some here may appreciate the thread.

Picked up this really nice hurricane for pretty cheap a couple weeks ago. Did a quick go through on it, unhooked the oil pump, changed the gas and plugs, went through the carbs, and took it to the lake. Ran pretty good for about 5 minutes, then wouldn't want to rev past idle for long, and being that it was freezing out anyways, I took it home. Figured out that the fuel tank vent was bad, wasn't letting air in. But it has good compression and the updated electronics.

Now I had thoughts of following some of the builds here and making a spec boat, but being that I already have a nice spec blaster, I thought that I would make a gp boat out of it. I seen on some of your threads that to put the polaris triple in, you have to use a different tank and cut the footwell. Besides not wanting to cut it up, I nor anyone I knew had any polaris stuff. Apparently they aren't too popular in Georgia. I then thought I would put a kawasaki 1100 in it, because thats what most run in gp. I stuck in a makeshift engine just to see if it would fit, and the same thing as the polaris, the exhaust pipe wouldn't fit without cutting the footwell. As a last effort to put a triple in and not cut it up, I tried a yamaha triple that I had laying around. It fits! The exhaust is closer in to the center line of the engine than the kawi. Here is some pics of the engine with the yamaha bed plates set in the hull. There is at least an inch on each side of the engine, and lots of room above and behind. I don't have a picture, but the stock gas tank also fits. Keep in mind this engine was just to get an idea, I know it is nasty.

I plan on running the stock polaris bedplates. The distance from the crank center to the mounting surface on the bottom of the case are almost identical on both engines. I am getting some square aluminum bar to put between where the yamaha bed plates mount and the polaris plates. Should be pretty close. I am going to have the polaris coupler drilled and tapped to fit the yamaha crank, so I can use the stock driveline.

I have already ditched the stock gauge/mirror housing. I plan on replacing that with something similar to what others have done. Another thing that needed to be changed was the handlebars. The stock ones had been broken and welded. Being as I can't afford a blaster umi steering setup, and the polaris one is impossible to find, I am going to improvise. I went out to a parted out waveraider and hacked off the top of the steering stem. I also hacked the polaris bars off. I lined it up, drilled and tapped some holes for the bolts. These are just in there to hold them together, I am going to get the two plates welded together. This setup will allow me to use the stock bar clamps on a yamaha, and run any bar setup I want, and for a whole lot cheaper than my other options.

Other things to come, I am looking at replacing the exhaust with a bigger hoses and box. I also plan on changing the pump and handling setup. So if anyone has any later polaris ss pump, aftermarket pump, aftermarket concord or swirl impellers, ride plates, or intake grates, I would appreciate it. Oh, I also need a hood latch, and a 97 cane driveshaft support bearing and bracket would be great too. Though I have had thoughts of fabbing something up.

And let me know what you think. Tips and suggestions are welcome!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161229_114417.jpg 
Views:	1817 
Size:	211.2 KB 
ID:	405009   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161230_164101.jpg 
Views:	1460 
Size:	125.5 KB 
ID:	405010   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170106_102101.jpg 
Views:	1427 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	405011   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170106_102110.jpg 
Views:	1431 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	405012   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170106_102118.jpg 
Views:	1435 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	405013   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170106_102126.jpg 
Views:	1505 
Size:	121.3 KB 
ID:	405014  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170108_175645.jpg 
Views:	1356 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	405015   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170108_175649.jpg 
Views:	1384 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	405016   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170108_175655.jpg 
Views:	1376 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	405017   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170101_203405.jpg 
Views:	1359 
Size:	157.5 KB 
ID:	405018  

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by GAkawi View Post
    First off, this is my first post to this forum. I have been on pwctoday and xh2o for a few years now, but I understand this is where all the Polaris people are. I thought some here may appreciate the thread.

Picked up this really nice hurricane ...

... I seen on some of your threads that to put the polaris triple in, you have to use a different tank and cut the footwell. Besides not wanting to cut it up, I nor anyone I knew had any polaris stuff. .

... I also need a hood latch, and a 1997 Hurricane driveshaft support bearing and bracket would be great too.
    Though I have had thoughts of fabbing something up.

Welcome to the Polaris forum on Greenhulk

I once had a Polaris Hurricane with three cylinder red Polaris engine. I did not do the conversion myself, but it did run and was water tested by the builder. No footwell modifications were required but the fuel tank was changed to accommodate the longer engine. In fact almost none of the hull interior structure was changed to accommodate the larger engine.

Virtually every owner of a Hurricane has discovered that the hull porpoises easily when on plane, the common fix is to fabricate an extended ride plate several inches longer than stock.

Broken hood latches are very common on the Hurricane. They are a fragile metal and they tend to fracture when the open hood is dropped onto the latch hardware. You may find it near impossible to source good condition replacement OEM latches. Consider switching to a different hood latch, perhaps the rubber hook type.

+1
    Interesting, and welcome to Greenhulk!

I'd prefer to see a 1200DI in there, or even better, a Turbo Weber

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Virtually every owner of a Hurricane has discovered that the hull porpoises easily when on plane, the common fix is to fabricate an extended ride plate several inches longer than stock.
    You just have to learn how to ride it, and have a good back...

If you lean over just a little bit either to the left or right so the ski is tilted slightly and riding off of the flat bottom there is a sweet spot where it nearly eliminates the porpoising. It takes time to find and will tire out your back but can be done.

That said, an extended plate and some sponsoons like WetWolf did would be beneficial.

+1
    or intake grates, and a 97 cane driveshaft support bearing and bracket would be great too. Though I have had thoughts of fabbing something up.

Welcome to Green Hulk.
    The Hurricane came stock with an R&d intake grate,although it is the less aggressive "650" version.

As far as the driveshaft- I'm wondering how well that 32.38 inch long shaft will hold up to a 3 cyl, especially in race conditions.
    It is only the 96-97 Hurricanes that used that driveshaft-so fairly rare.
    Nearly all 3 cyl Polaris used the 24.38" shaft, so will be much easier to find/replace and have a better chance of surviving.

The MSX 140's used a similar coupler (to the Yamaha) on there drive shaft's. They are 22.247" long. Not sure how long the coupler set-up is or if it matches the Yamaha..

My thought being that if you are modifying the coupler already-might look into something more common/stronger.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by HiPeRcO
    I'd prefer to see a 1200DI in there, or even better, a Turbo Weber
    Me too, but I'm a broke college kid, and I already have a bunch of triple yamaha stuff laying around

Quote Originally Posted by K447
    Consider switching to a different hood latch, perhaps the rubber hook type.
    Are these oem polaris type hooks? Which models did they come on? I don't think they yamaha type ones that I have will fit without cutting the seat base.

Quote Originally Posted by ThrottleOut
    If you lean over just a little bit either to the left or right so the ski is tilted slightly and riding off of the flat bottom there is a sweet spot where it nearly eliminates the porpoising
    I honestly didn't notice any huge porpoising during the couple minutes it ran, but I probably didn't get to full speed and I was spending my time seeing how it cornered. But I am looking for another plate, stock to fabricate or aftermarket, to address this and make it ideal.

No footwell modifications were required but the fuel tank was changed to accommodate the longer engine. In fact almost none of the hull interior structure was changed to accommodate the larger engine.
    Good to know. Did you experience any trouble with a triple and the long driveshaft? Addressing what casey67 brought up.

Quote Originally Posted by casey67
    The Hurricane came stock with an R&d intake grate,although it is the less aggressive "650" version.

As far as the driveshaft- I'm wondering how well that 32.38 inch long shaft will hold up to a 3 cyl, especially in race conditions.
    It is only the 96-97 Hurricanes that used that driveshaft-so fairly rare.
    Nearly all 3 cyl Polaris used the 24.38" shaft, so will be much easier to find/replace and have a better chance of surviving.

The MSX 140's used a similar coupler (to the Yamaha) on there drive shaft's. They are 22.247" long. Not sure how long the coupler set-up is or if it matches the Yamaha..

My thought being that if you are modifying the coupler already-might look into something more common/stronger.
    Good thoughts. Mine does have that small toploader, but I am looking for a more aggressive one to help stay hooked up in the race chop. Any suggestions on which is best? I have seen the 750 one, a jet dynamics one, and an outlaw I believe it was called.
    I see what you are saying on the driveshaft, but I don't think there is room to move the engine back 10". And wouldn't it make the ski porpoise worse if the weight is moved back? Isn't that what the long plates and hull extensions are trying to provide, more pressure on the nose?

Thanks for the thoughts. Keep them coming.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Perhaps Wet Wolf or another Hurricane racer will comment on the porpoising and handling effect of a hull/engine weight distribution change. It is possible that moving the engine rearwards (to allow use of a shorter driveshaft) does not cause handling problems. It might even cause some positive changes.

The Hurricane hull is unlike any other Polaris hull. The bottom is quite flat and scalloped. I suspect the Hurricane hull is inherently unstable at speed and does not have a stable 'sweet spot' that self corrects for small porpoising motions.

The extended ride plate and the factory hull extensions are effectively handling band aids. The changes do seem to work, as does adding small Seadoo HX sponsons.

+1
    there]s a guy out of kansas running one with a kawi 1200 and he has it dialed in pretty sweet i'd say he's up near 70 mph and it is glued to the water in the flat and he goes pretty good in the chop i know he did well in chicago and havasu

+1
    I suspect the Hurricane hull is inherently unstable at speed and does not have a stable 'sweet spot' that self corrects for small porpoising motions.
    The hull is very similar to a blaster, and with the blaster, if you lean it slightly to one side, it cuts through the chop much better. I had a 750sxi pro, and it was a porpoising piece of junk, but if you kept it tipped to one side slightly, it was much more stable and would quit bouncing. The hurricane may act similarly, I guess I will find out soon enough how bad the thing really is

Quote Originally Posted by 785 lugs
    theres a guy out of kansas running one with a kawi 1200 and he has it dialed in pretty sweet i'd say he's up near 70 mph and it is glued to the water in the flat and he goes pretty good in the chop i know he did well in chicago and havasu
    You found my build thread! Yeah, Aaron Dellinger finished 5th in havasu, it looks like the ski handles really well. Hope mine can finish mid pack in the Pro Watercross Events.

+1
    The hull is very similar to a blaster, and with the blaster, if you lean it slightly to one side, it cuts through the chop much better. I had a 750sxi pro, and it was a porpoising piece of junk, but if you kept it tipped to one side slightly, it was much more stable and would quit bouncing. The hurricane may act similarly, I guess I will find out soon enough how bad the thing really is

You found my build thread! Yeah, Aaron Dellinger finished 5th in havasu, it looks like the ski handles really well. Hope mine can finish mid pack in the Pro Watercross Events.
    Yeah Aaron's ski is bad ass that was a hull i had laying around i sold him he also has a carbon fiber hurricane he is working on and he has more power to put into it ,it should be better next yr

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information