Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purchase Advice

Purchase Advice

I have never owned (just rented) a ski and I am about to take the plunge. My two options are a 2008 vx110 Cruiser with 80 hrs for $4500 and a 2008 FXRSHO with 150 hrs for $6500. Both are stock and well kept fresh water skis. I live on the coast and will be running in the bays and gulf on calm days. I know the fuel burn difference, and am ok either way there. My main concern is longevity and maintenance. I have done my research and know the MR1 is super reliable, I have some concerns on the 1.8l supercharger. Thanks in advance for your thoughts on the subject.

African-American
    +1
    FX SHO if you want to enjoy life ... vx110 are rental skis and for people which have given up having fun

3. +1 by:

African-American
    +1
    🤣

+1
    What are your concerns? As said above go for the SHO you will not regret it. We have many of those running 200+ hours here no issues. Solid solid machines. Mine never skips a beat.

Thanks for the replies. Are there any immediate upgrades I should do to the fxsho for reliability (my main concern)? I was looking for a place to rebuild the supercharger, but it appears they do not have the service interval requirements I read about when looking at Seadoos.

+1
    VX110s are super tough which is the biggest reason that they make of most rental fleets. A friend of mine has a 2006 that his kids have beat the crap out of for the past 10 years and all he has done to it is change out the battery a couple of times. It will not be as fast as the SHO but you may not want a really fast ski, depending on the audience.

Thanks bizeagle, the near legendary VX110 reliability is what is making me really consider it as a first ski. I have a few toys to maintain already, and am really looking for something that is low maintenance. I will attempt to do all maintenance myself. I already have two Yamaha outboards plus a motorcycle I maintain.

+1
    Only downside with the superchargers is when the clutch goes, but those aren't on a timed interval like the seadoo's. I had 160 hours on my FZR with it's first clutch from factory. New owner got it to 190 before sinking it. My current FX has 118 hours on it's original clutch too. If you want to prolong the clutch lifespan i'd recommend a Blow off valve as your first purchase. I had the riva kit on my old ski and plan on going for a worx kit this time round on the FX. One of the FZ's around here had the Riva kit fail over time and just stop working. I agree these VX can take a beating but so can the SHO models. Plus the FX is a much better craft compared to the other, extra storage space, trim, cruise control and honestly these hulls are champs in the chop! Very comfortable machine

Is the clutch user replaceable? If it fails am I looking at an engine rebuild? If it is only a few hundred bucks I am change it as a precaution if I buy the ski.

+1
    You just change the clutch and you're good to go! Infact when they do fail the ski is still usable so no being stranded out there, you just won't get any boost!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information