+1

Another 98 XL760 buyer

Yes you heard me right! Another person coming into the illustrious XL 760. I've heard nothing but good things about this ski reading threads around here. I even got the stamp of approval by John @ Watcon/RCJS himself.

Take a loooksie and tell me what you think?????

https://houston.craigslist.org/boa/5923835792.html

See anything that will need addressing?

What would you do if this was your ski?

He said I can have it for $1200. Guess who the new owner is going to be? Sounds like a good deal to me!

Only thing I know to do right off the bat is carbs. Replace hood seal. And replace the footwell pads. Otherwise a good cleaning inside out should make it look much better!

Thanks for your time and input! I'm an open book so please comment away...

P.S. This will actually by my second ski purchase. My first ski was a 95 Polaris SLT 750. Fun to work on and fun to ride.

+1
    I'd check compression first off. Too many times I've seen sellers claim "only need a carb cleaning" and when I start checking everything out, I find out it is much more than that. So compression test will give you a good idea of engine health. Shine a light in to the jetpump to see the impeller condition. He claims its ran 50 with 2 people but that was probably what was showing on the dreamometer.... It's probably more like 46-48 on gps with 1 person. I had an XL 760 then sold it to my neighbor who still rides it often. I replaced all the fuel lines, put a primer in/removed the choke, put on a new fuel filter, put on a oil injection blockoff for premix and rebuilt the carbs including a new needle & seat. Most carb kits only have gaskets and springs but not needle and seat. Make sure you get the oem size needle and seat too... I think they are size 1.5. Also note on that model, if the battery goes dead or is disconnected you will have to reset the dash code or it won't crank over. To do that, hold the button down on the left until the screen displays "set code", then hit the top right button a few times to where the code is 0000. Once it is set, you can pop in your lanyard and fire it up. I bought my XL760 cheap and didn't really know what was wrong with it besides it wouldn't turn over. Come to find out, I just had to reset the dash code and bam, fired right up.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by swlamarshrunner View Post
    I'd check compression first off. Too many times I've seen sellers claim "only need a carb cleaning" and when I start checking everything out, I find out it is much more than that. So compression test will give you a good idea of engine health. Shine a light in to the jetpump to see the impeller condition. He claims its ran 50 with 2 people but that was probably what was showing on the dreamometer.... It's probably more like 46-48 on gps with 1 person. I had an XL 760 then sold it to my neighbor who still rides it often. I replaced all the fuel lines, put a primer in/removed the choke, put on a new fuel filter, put on a oil injection blockoff for premix and rebuilt the carbs including a new needle & seat. Most carb kits only have gaskets and springs but not needle and seat. Make sure you get the oem size needle and seat too... I think they are size 1.5. Also note on that model, if the battery goes dead or is disconnected you will have to reset the dash code or it won't crank over. To do that, hold the button down on the left until the screen displays "set code", then hit the top right button a few times to where the code is 0000. Once it is set, you can pop in your lanyard and fire it up. I bought my XL760 cheap and didn't really know what was wrong with it besides it wouldn't turn over. Come to find out, I just had to reset the dash code and bam, fired right up.
    Thanks so much for the sound advice! I'll be picking me up a loaner compression tester and doing that.

By any chance do you know what compression is supposed to be on that engine?

I plan on going through this ski since it's not ski weather for some time and I've got nothing better to do. I'll agree on this thoughts about the speed... This model has a top speed of what you said with one person. Can't see how he would do that with 2 people.

I'm definitely going to replace all fuel lines. I picked up a 25' foot spool from SBT and really liked the blue/clear lines. You can see when the juices are flowing. They sell clear for oil lines. NOT sure if I need to replace those.

What are your thoughts when it comes to blocking off oil pump and going premix? Did this model have an issue with that?

I'm going to send the carbs off like I said to the professional. John does a really good job and I like the unbolt, and re-bolt and I'm done . I'm of the type that wants to go through everything that way once I get the bugs worked out I can put it on the water and be safe in knowing it will be reliable for family and friends. I've never been stranded on the water and I don't want to start now.

I plan on putting a new AGM batter in and replacing the wet cell battery he has in there. Thanks for giving the instructions for resetting the dash code... Much appreciated on that! Because you know it would've come up sometime or another.

I thought about the CL ad and figured it would be pulled down... for future reference I'll upload the pictures of the ski so everyone has an idea of what I'm starting with and at the end of my restore (is what I'm going to call it, even though I will be satisfied with the end result) what the ski will look like.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00I0I_kfVmOv4F9gc_1200x900.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	404716   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00r0r_dgk6nO7fBYk_1200x900.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	404717   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00s0s_3cBzBbOm5dZ_1200x900.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	404718   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00V0V_8KXFXsgaC3r_1200x900.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	404719   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00x0x_hjGBfLGJtiM_1200x900.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	404720   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00505_3h6RS4J9RC0_1200x900.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	404721  

+1
    By any chance do you know what compression is supposed to be on that engine?
    Yes, 150psi would be perfect. As long as the numbers are 120+ and within 10% of each other, it should be fine.

I'm definitely going to replace all fuel lines. I picked up a 25' foot spool from SBT and really liked the blue/clear lines. You can see when the juices are flowing. They sell clear for oil lines. NOT sure if I need to replace those.
    I would not replace oil lines. See next comment for reason why. I would replace the fuel filter/water seperator though.

What are your thoughts when it comes to blocking off oil pump and going premix? Did this model have an issue with that?
    I would definitely install the oil block off and put a little blue loctite on the bolts when you do so they don't happen to back out. It is too easy to premix the fuel and eliminate the chance of seizing the engine due to lack of oil from a broken/plugged line or oil filter. People run them both ways but my personal preference is to block off the oil injection. My neighbor I sold my XL760 to converted the oil tank into a reserve gas tank so he can hold that extra little bit.

I plan on putting a new AGM batter in and replacing the wet cell battery he has in there. Thanks for giving the instructions for resetting the dash code... Much appreciated on that! Because you know it would've come up sometime or another.
    Yep, my neighbor took his battery off to charge and called me saying it wouldn't turn over when he tried to fire it up and I had to tell him the same thing.

+1
    Thanks for your time and help so far!!!

Thread Information